PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu planning to end Galant Production in USA.

Kenjuro_2
02-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I hope this is not a re-post.

http://www.motorauthority.com/mitsubishi-looking-to-end-galant-production-in-us-keen-to-replace-with-lancer-outlander.html

ericbla03
02-13-2009, 08:40 PM
i beleive it

99 galant
02-13-2009, 08:40 PM
No offense to those that have modded clean 9G's, stock, they look horrible.

SkylineG1
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I in agreement with this one. The new design of the G appeals to no one. I've seen about two since being released. End production.

99 galant
02-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I have been seeing a lot more lately, but they have already been out for what? 5 years. I have never seen that many before. I never noticed them until one day at a gas station, I was in my G and saw the new style and said EW. Never saw it before that day and I got my G 4.10.07

9G
02-13-2009, 09:27 PM
yeah, its time.

DryBear
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
That is too bad - the Galant nameplate is the longest running in Mitsubishi history (since 1969).

99 galant
02-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Some things just have to go. They completely ruined the style as they did with the Eclipse too. Sometimes new designs shouldn't be made.

Kurenai
02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Some things just have to go. They completely ruined the style as they did with the Eclipse too. Sometimes new designs shouldn't be made.

It'd be nice if they could be like Porsche with the 911 and just slightly rework things here and there, instead of ruining it completely.

9G
02-13-2009, 11:17 PM
im sure the galant name will still live in japan and other countries. this is just for USA i believe.

Jeffylou87
02-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Yupp.. I beleive this is just for us US fuckers..

VegasMatt
02-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Sad Day for Galants if they do pull the plug.

G-spot
02-14-2009, 12:39 AM
And that's why Japan is using our Lancers as the new Galant.....

starh4x
02-14-2009, 01:07 AM
And that's why Japan is using our Lancers as the new Galant.....

yes I heard about this. made me say wtf.

IMO They didnt need to move from the 8g shape to the 9g shape. 8g was aggressive looking, 9 looks like typical family car. bloated and curvey.

xcore
02-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Seriously........if they keep doing like 9G, Just end it, 9G is the one which got out of Galant style, all 6-8G have rectangle like headlight........

Galantfan88
02-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Noooooo say this is not truuuu!!!!
Wait what am I saying I hate the way the new Galants look...

Galant306m
02-14-2009, 01:31 AM
well i bet they could boost their sales if they would just give us 2 turbos and awd.

starh4x
02-14-2009, 01:48 AM
yeah but they insist on not giving you guys anything fast for some reason. hmmm....

hk20000
02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
there's always the Lancer Ralliart if you need something like that....

it is a equivalent of Galant Fortis Ralliart anyway.

starh4x
02-14-2009, 02:00 AM
equivalent? there exactly the same car i thought except steering wheel on different sides?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=191018222

in taiwan its now called a galant in USA its called lancer here we call it both I guess lol.

gtx
02-14-2009, 06:51 AM
I've never been the fan of the 9G, but no replacement?? Sounds like Mitsu is going down the route it did in Europe...

platano
02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Im glad they're ending production because every galant Mitsu has released after the 8G has been fcking atrocious looking, at least externally. The 8G is the flyest looking G they ever came out.

I dont mind at all.

spardavr4
02-14-2009, 09:36 AM
That's stupid. C'mon just make another generation of Galant that goes back to looking like an 8G and release the VR4 back in the states and then they can make their money back.

glantv699
02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Double Post, delete please.

Gbaby2089
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
yeah if the 9g wasn't SOOO ugly they'd prolly be selling better

glantv699
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
well i bet they could boost their sales if they would just give us 2 turbos and awd.

As awesome as this would be, it doesn't appeal to their target market. Yes it expands the market in one direction making it more appealing to people like us, but the Galant followed trends of the family sedan, just look at the transition from 6G to 9G. Almost identical changes in style in the comparable Accord and Camry. Early 90's, small boxy, mid 90's, got a little bigger, round out some lines, late 90's/00+ longer, wider, sharper, but still conservative, latest models are bulky and obscure. The thing is, Accord and Camry have always outsold the Galant.

This almost makes me want to go buy a 9G Ralliart and say I have the final Galant.

Kurenai
02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
As awesome as this would be, it doesn't appeal to their target market. Yes it expands the market in one direction making it more appealing to people like us, but the Galant followed trends of the family sedan, just look at the transition from 6G to 9G. Almost identical changes in style in the comparable Accord and Camry. Early 90's, small boxy, mid 90's, got a little bigger, round out some lines, late 90's/00+ longer, wider, sharper, but still conservative, latest models are bulky and obscure. The thing is, Accord and Camry have always outsold the Galant.

This almost makes me want to go buy a 9G Ralliart and say I have the final Galant.

That, I don't understand.

...Maybe I'm biased, but the Galant was always the better looking of the three. I'll even go as far out to say that 9G looks better than the current Camry (which, if you look at it long enough, you'll see a bloated walrus) and the Accord just looks...While the 9G is no 8G, the most recent ones don't look all that bad in the right color. Reliability isn't so bad, I'd assume, either...

99 galant
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
On Galantforums.com we have been seeing some pictures of VERY clean VERY nice modded 9g's

4-G-rim
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Ending production of the Galant in the USA doesn't mean that Mitsu will end the Galant name. Like other car manufacturers trying to make financial moves as the world suffers from economic times...Mitsu is making a move to keep $$$ in their pockets.

Mitsu is going to save alot of $$$ by not assembling the Galants in the Normal, IL plant. Think of it...most of the parts are from Japan and it costs $$$ to import the parts here to the US, etc etc. Mitsu of Japan has always produced Galants even when MMCNA was producing 7g and 8g's.

The 9g takes a bit to get used to..but its a solid car none the less. Overall quality of the car is a step up from the 7g and 8g and performance is very solid. I believe Mitsu goal was to market the Galant as a performer and stand out from the other cars in its catagory, but slighly missed the target. I would honestly buy a 9g Ralliart as a daily...for some reason the Ralliart 9g's look really good.

I think Mitsu is making some moves to protect their long term goals and plus they have been good on keeping their plans on future production models on the down low recently. I doubt they will end the Galant lineup....its been Mitsu's longest running vehicle lineup. Mitsu just needs to produce a Galant that will shakedown its compeitition...create a new standard. Much like what Nissan did with the Altima...prior to its current body style, the 2 previous generations were very medicore cars. Then Nissan reinvented the Altima...and its taken a good chunk of the once dominant Camry/Accord mid sized market.

We will see though...but I believe Mitsu knows what they have to do. The Concept ZT is a good sign:cool:

beam514
02-14-2009, 10:56 PM
That, I don't understand.

...Maybe I'm biased, but the Galant was always the better looking of the three. I'll even go as far out to say that 9G looks better than the current Camry (which, if you look at it long enough, you'll see a bloated walrus) and the Accord just looks...While the 9G is no 8G, the most recent ones don't look all that bad in the right color. Reliability isn't so bad, I'd assume, either...

I don't think you understand that people don't understand that Mitsubishi makes decent cars. They last long as long as you take care of them. Can't throw em around quite as much as say a civic or something. A good amount of the people that I've talked to have this idea that Mitsubishi makes absolutely crappy, ugly cars, then they see my 8G and really like it :D

jhendra83
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I'd buy a new lancer GTS and re-badge it with GALANT end of story ;D

Kenjuro_2
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I'd buy a new lancer GTS and re-badge it with GALANT end of story ;D

X2

DOHCstunr
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
9g Ralliart > 8g(x1000)
[/thread]

4g63lover
02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I think they should discontinue the Eclipse IMO.

I actually like the 9Gb, but then again I think the fit and the xB's are awesome.

4-G-rim
02-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I dont think Mitsu should discontinue the Eclipse. Mitsu just needs to consider bringing back the AWD platform for the Eclipse or RWD to compete with other cars in the Eclipses market. (370Z, Genesis coupe, etc etc)

9G
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
the eclipse is very hot to middle age women. it has to stay.

krazienluv10
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
yeah if the 9g wasn't SOOO ugly they'd prolly be selling better

no ur ugly... (end of rant)

Galantfan88
02-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Can I ask someone, why the hell we dont have the awesome v6 twin turbo vr4 G's in the USA???:(

G-spot
02-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah MMA should of done like how they did for the 6g VR-4: import 2000 units from Japan and sell it as a limited edition. Mazda "kinda" did that with the Mazdaspeed6 and made it a hard to find product. Same goes with 3000GT VR-4 as there's a small faction of people that wants a preminum trim that's sporty yet as well as refined. We just didn't see that on the usdm 7g/8g.

4-G-rim
02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Can I ask someone, why the hell we dont have the awesome v6 twin turbo vr4 G's in the USA???:(

Simple.....no market here in the U.S. during the 7g and 8g generations.

MMCNA decided to bring the 6g GVR4 here in the states is because at the time the 6g had a awsome reputation since it won the North America Import Car of the Year award beating the Accord the Camry. Galant sales were high and Galant GSX's ( n/a 4G63 AWD) were selling very quickly. So...in addition to the new performance oriented Eclipse and 3000GT..Mitsu decided to bring a limited amount of Galant VR4's to sell here in the U.S to take advantage of the hot Galant GSX sales and improve their "Performance brand" persona.

Well...Mitsu realized that its a tough market to sell a $30k Mitsu Sedan where you could spend that type of money into a BMW, Mercedes, etc etc. Eventually in 92 they only decided to bring over a 1000 and eventually 93 not to bring over any GVR4's to the states.

Simply during the mid 90's and early 2000's...there wasn't a market for "high performance" sedans in the U.S. The BOOM were SUV's here in the U.S. and Sedans were marketed as reliable and value. This is why we never saw early generation of Evos, WRX's, Skylines, FTO's, etc etc. Japanese car makers here in the U.S. were already having a hard enough time selling their flagship vehicles in their lineup which eventually came their end in the late 90's like the Supra, 3000GT, RX7, 300ZX, etc etc

RedGalant2k1
02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Simple.....no market here in the U.S. during the 7g and 8g generations.

MMCNA decided to bring the 6g GVR4 here in the states is because at the time the 6g had a awsome reputation since it won the North America Import Car of the Year award beating the Accord the Camry. Galant sales were high and Galant GSX's ( n/a 4G63 AWD) were selling very quickly. So...in addition to the new performance oriented Eclipse and 3000GT..Mitsu decided to bring a limited amount of Galant VR4's to sell here in the U.S to take advantage of the hot Galant GSX sales and improve their "Performance brand" persona.

Well...Mitsu realized that its a tough market to sell a $30k Mitsu Sedan where you could spend that type of money into a BMW, Mercedes, etc etc. Eventually in 92 they only decided to bring over a 1000 and eventually 93 not to bring over any GVR4's to the states.

Simply during the mid 90's and early 2000's...there wasn't a market for "high performance" sedans in the U.S. The BOOM were SUV's here in the U.S. and Sedans were marketed as reliable and value. This is why we never saw early generation of Evos, WRX's, Skylines, FTO's, etc etc. Japanese car makers here in the U.S. were already having a hard enough time selling their flagship vehicles in their lineup which eventually came their end in the late 90's like the Supra, 3000GT, RX7, 300ZX, etc etc

It wasn't that there wasn't a market for fast sedans (Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville GTP both supercharged). The Ford Taurus SHO was fast albeit rather boring. The Buick Regal GS (and the GS Joseph Abboud Edition) were quite fast. The real problem with the speedy little Japanese cars and the big bad skyline was emissions and mostly crash protections.

The sole reason for the changes in the exterior and interior of the USDM Galant versus the JDM Galant is crash standards. The US required higher standards, that resulted in a redesigned larger crash bar, requiring a new radiator core support, new headlights, new bumper. The interior required subtle upgrades also, which necessitated a redesigned interior.

The engines (especially the GDI) if memory serves were quite poor emissions vehicles, and they couldn't pass muster to be put in 8Gs. There is a reason the chassis code is even different.

boondocks95
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
No offense to those that have modded clean 9G's, stock, they look horrible.

yes they do and again no offense

boondocks95
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM

and maybe idk sounds crazy but add they vr4 to the name, nvm that was a stupid idea

galantebeige
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Build the 8G again, I just love the way my car looks. Just change the insides, with better and more efficient engines, etc

03-Galant-ES
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
If you look at a vast majority of G owners they are middle aged family oriented people, but then the others are younger guys like us who are still family oriented...some of us at least... but we want a sharp car that goes pretty well. One of their problems is the 9G is ugly sorry 9G owners but its like a 40 year old woman the same age as the Galant name. The galants have been getting bigger and bigger and peaked in the 8G looks as many agree then down hill as her ass got bigger and wings and tits hung lower. They need to give the G some botox, some lipo and bring her back to her former glory.

Even keeping the engine though the RA engine in an 8G or 7G type body would be amazing. Even if they dont being back the turbo make the 2.4 a mivec and give an optional 6spd manual with 6spd auto as standard.

They don't need to give an ugly car a face lift they need to go back to basics and bring it back. Once again 9G owners but it's true.

03-Galant-ES
02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Ive decided my solution is once I own my own house instead of worrying about new cars stock piling on older Gs

2 vr4s 3 7gs and 4 more 8gs is my plan :-p My fiancee said i can get a heated garage with my own lift to keep me busy

charris
02-17-2009, 11:54 PM
They should replace it with the concept ZT. They managed to give it back some nice aggressive lines, and the interior is like a space ship. :cool:

The RA and X/sportback concepts are pretty sexy, too.

hk20000
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
The engines (especially the GDI) if memory serves were quite poor emissions vehicles, and they couldn't pass muster to be put in 8Gs. There is a reason the chassis code is even different.

Mostly because you have Mcpherson Struts when the 8Gs in the rest of the world were using double wishbones?

Another thing, 8G is not a synonym to GDI, and GDI is not a synonym to bad emission.

8G came in V6 models, in Singapore and Hong Kong there was a funny grade called the VR-M which sported the 6A12 MIVEC exactly the same as the one found in FTO. That would make a 200HP sports sedan out of the box with no impact to reliability or emission.

Ah actually, another thing you should remember about the E39A's demise in 1993. In 1993 the Japanese plant is making my VR4 :P

It'd be stupid to tell them to stop making the v6tt VR4 and make a bunch of E39A VR4 just for the last year hooray in US market. When my VR4 was dropped from the US lineup that's that.

in fact 7G also had a grade called VR-X which was also 200HP to the front wheels.

If those models came to the US It'd sell like hot cake. Just like how those models above sold like hot cake in Asia. Think about it, introduce a 200HP FWD sports sedan to USA in 1994.... It would have blown the Camry and Accord out of the water. Mitsu would be such hot item they wouldn't be what they are like today:D

Also I almost forgot - you know why they didn't make the VR4 for 1993? It's because the Japanese factory was busy making my version V6TT VR4 - manufactured Feburary 1993 I think that's the biggest reason the VR4 stopped coming to the States.

Johnathansgalant
02-20-2009, 09:44 PM
the 9gs were alright -- the 10g thats out now is very ugly.. i have seen two on the street.. the 10gs are not selling very well and probably will be scrapped fast..

Koncept
02-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Maybe if they didn't make it so fat, ugly and slow people would actually want one...

*shrugs*

Honestly, if I could get an 8G VR-4 legally in America without having to go through all the hassle and mods, I would. If they considered making something more like this, more people might be interested.

Gbaby2089
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
they tried to make it too mainstream when it was kinda small and sporty (8G) it sold well then came the ewww, bloated thing (9G) and sales went down

panda
02-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Think about it, introduce a 200HP FWD sports sedan to USA in 1994.... It would have blown the Camry and Accord out of the water. Mitsu would be such hot item they wouldn't be what they are like today:D

doubt it.. cause mitsu isnt the only company that down grades when they come to the united states..

compare a us 6th gen civic to a jdm 6th gen civic lol.. they was sporting touch screen indash gps,cd,radio,phone,ect,b18gsr motors stock with alot more options while we in the us was sitting there with a tape deck and goofy ass cloth seats riding around with a d16y8 lol..

i agree the united states would be cooler not to mention all around better if they would have brung the asian markets power houses over but hey.. we are Americans.. half the population still thinks a 4 cylinder cant produce over 110hp lol.. and if it does get any kind of power the gas mileage would suck.

10 years ago if you would have asked any american what asian company would produce a 4x4 truck that would out perform chevy,dodge, or ford. i doubt you would even get a answer.

just my 2 cents.

Rayth
02-23-2009, 11:13 PM
aww no love

RedGalant2k1
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
10 years ago if you would have asked any american what asian company would produce a 4x4 truck that would out perform chevy,dodge, or ford. i doubt you would even get a answer.

just my 2 cents.

Aside from the cars there still isn't a Japanese Truck that can outperform an American one.

03-Galant-ES
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
i agree the united states would be cooler not to mention all around better if they would have brung the asian markets power houses over but hey.. we are Americans.. half the population still thinks a 4 cylinder cant produce over 110hp lol.. and if it does get any kind of power the gas mileage would suck.

just my 2 cents.

What I really hate about our car market is Euro Spec cars have always been like 1.6L that can go about as fast as our 2.4s and they get like 40+mph I love the Gs though there is so much potential and they are pretty comfy

panda
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Aside from the cars there still isn't a Japanese Truck that can outperform an American one.

lol.. nissan titan/toyota tundra and i think toyota helix is just a few.. all will smash on a american truck in all values..

dont get me wrong i love some chevy.. but you gotta give credit where its due..

cg1349
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I wonder why Mitsubishi didn't put the same turbo charger from an Evolution, into a Galant. The Galant has a loyal fan base, and I'm sure a Galant Turbo model would have been welcomed.

Rayth
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I wonder why Mitsubishi didn't put the same turbo charger from an Evolution, into a Galant. The Galant has a loyal fan base, and I'm sure a Galant Turbo model would have been welcomed.

the same reason they didnt keep the eclipse AWD turbo.. because theyre dumb

G-spot
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Thay had a reason behind it to boost sales for the evo but overall it was a very stupid move...

...along the line of how Honda never released a Civic Type R to the states but eager to bust out an Si and boast sale over it as if there are no "loyal fans" to the CTR....

4-G-rim
02-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Though it seems that Galants have a loyal fan base...but Galant owners like us are a tiny percentage in unit sold. I know that the TGC world seems big..but we are a mere pixel in a HD tv.

Sales is what drove MMC especially MMCNA not to produce certain "special" models. Though the 1g and 2g Eclipse/talon/lasers sold pretty well ..the turbo models only accounted for a very small percentage of total units sold. Most T/E/L sold were nonturbo models..I believe FWD Turbo models accounted around 8% and AWD turbo models accounted under 1%...actualy not even.

Selling a $25+k midsize Galant in the very competitive midsize market was a risk for mitsu considering the cost of production and other factors when Mitsu at the time was going through corperate crisis and medicore reputation in the public.

Mitsubishi of North America wasn't even considering to bring over the Evo to the U.S. till Subaru took a chance to bring the WRX into the states and Mitsu saw how well they were selling and the potential of that market.

Luckily...Mitsubishi cross platform approach makes it possibly to do swaps and makes it even more of a special car to drive.:cool:

panda
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
personally i think they didnt bring over any japan based models is the fact they wouldn't get their moneys worth. because after you ship it from japan then make sure it passes our emissions then it gets to the buyer.. i doubt any one would want to pay the price tag for it. like the ctr yea there is a large fan base for it but more then half of them only want the motor and not the whole car there is a few that have the wallet to get the car but the majority of the people only swap motors that is what i think it is.

Gbaby2089
03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
i would rep you for that post but i don't know how!

GalantT3
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't think they are ending the car completely. I just don't think they are building it in America anymore which is a good thing the 9thG was ugly and they ended up refreshing the car and fixing those hideous tailights and I didn't think it was possible but now the car is even uglier!!!!

It can't be the end of the Galant because what is this car then.......

http://www.autofans.us/images/2007%20Tokyo%20Motor%20Show/Mitsubishi%20Concept-ZT%206.jpg

Looks like an Audi! I love it!

GalantT3
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
The only place the Galant is going is back in the hands of Japanese Designers and Production where it belongs.........

2010 Galant

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2779144119_f1ea8c7076.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2780000116_9fe7fdcd0c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2779144803_94f37beaa5.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2779144631_de07cff75f.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/2007_tokyo_mitsubishi_zt_concept019.jpg

Mitsubishi’s star at the show might have been the new Evo X, but the new Concept-ZT is the more important car as it previews the next-generation Galant, which is a big seller for the company. Styled like a large Lancer, the ZT features the same jet-fighter grille but is overall a more stylish and elegant vehicle. We particularly liked some of the small styling touches such as the side mirrors and detailed wheels. Under the hood is Mitsu’s 2.2L diesel engine mated to a twin-clutch gearbox, which Mitsubishi seems to be introducing throughout their lineup.

By combining a high-powered, fuel-efficient, 2.2-liter clean diesel engine and Twin Clutch SST, and using significant quantities of Green Plastic in the interior, a high level of running and environmental performance is achieved.

In addition to advanced active safety technology, Concept-ZT achieves a high level of passive safety. Features include pre-crash safety; a lane-drift warning system; driving assistance technology, including new all-around multi-monitors and a parking assistance system; and crashworthiness safety technology including a pop-up hood.

Moreover, equipped with the S-AWC system combining front E-LSD (Electric control - Limited Slip Differential), ABS and ASC, based on Mitsubishi Motors’ 4WD electronic control system, the MITSUBISHI Concept-ZT is a premium sedan that possesses dramatically improved driving, environmental and safety performance.

Design
The basic exterior form, simple and flowing with a low center of gravity, yields a sense of stability and sportiness fitting Mitsubishi Motors’ premier sedan This base is combined with a powerful shoulder line, substantial side panels and projecting fenders. Sculptured headlights, grill and aluminum wheels proclaim quality and status created out of “Japanese” sensitivity — a sophisticated and adult sensibility.

In the interior, the goal was a level of “hospitality” that would resonate with all the senses of the occupants. Combinations of designs with clear contrasts — simple forms with overall continuity gently embrace passengers and precise, hard functional parts — express the melding of quality, comfort and the pleasure of driving. Meters and monitors are of clear materials, futuristically stacked, with the beauty of industrial art.

Minute quantities of a new reflective material add elegance to the body color. In combination with decorative parts, including wheels and grill, a radiant presence is realized with a sense of quality and refinement, like jeweled layers of precious metals. Interior colors are a combination of grained black wood, metal and leather, making maximum use of materials expressing boldness, sophistication and grace.

Powertrain/S-AWC
The concept’s powerplant is a newly developed 2.2-liter 4-cylinder DOHC, 16-valve with VD (Variable Diffuser)/VG (Variable Geometry) clean turbodiesel engine with common-rail direct fuel injection (piezoelectric injector) that delivers a maximum output of 140 kW and maximum torque of 400 Nm.

The power unit is mated to Mitsubishi’s new Twin Clutch SST, which delivers superior power transmission efficiency in a powertrain that realizes smooth, responsive, effortless power and acceleration, whether on the highway or in urban areas, together with good fuel economy. The S-AWC system combines front E-LSD (Electric control - Limited Slip Differential), ABS and ASC with the 4WD electronic control system also used in Outlander and Delica D:5. This optimally controls driving force, traction and braking at all four wheels, and provides stable driving on various road surfaces under various conditions, realizing a pleasurable and safe driving experience.

Body Structure
As in the i MiEV SPORT, the aluminum space frame structure combines aluminum extrusion and aluminum die casting, not only realizing a body of great strength and rigidity, but contributing to weight reduction and crashworthiness. In addition, for the outer panels of hoods, fenders, doors and trunk lids, shock-resistant, recyclable resin is used, as seen on the front fender of the Delica D:5.

Safety Technology/Driving Assistance Technology
Pre-crash Safety System: Using millimeter-length radar waves, the system detects cars far ahead as well as obstacles in the adjacent lane. When it determines that objects near the car are too close and there is danger of a collision, it warns the driver to take action. If the system determines that the possibility of a collision is nevertheless quite high, it pretensions seat belts and activates crash-restraint seat cushions to increase passenger restraint, and initiates emergency braking to reduce the impact of an imminent collision.
Lane-Drift Warning System: The system consists of a front camera, steering angle sensor, speed sensor, yaw rate sensor and ECU. The front camera recognizes lane markings (white lines, etc.), and the system, based on information from the other sensors, calculates the possibility of the vehicle drifting out of its lane, warns the driver, and adds steering torque in the direction such that the car stays within the lane.

Pop-Up Hood: If the car should hit a pedestrian, the hood pops up before the person’s head strikes the hood, acting as a buffer and minimizing injury to the head.

New All-Around Multi-Monitors: In addition to a nose-view camera and a rear-view camera, cameras with extremely wide-angle lenses are positioned at the left and right sides. Optical distortions of the images from the four cameras are corrected, and the information is converted into a display of the situation all around the car as seen from the top — thus enabling clear confirmation by the driver. The nose camera is also part of the proximity-detection function for approaching objects.

Parking Assistance System: A distance sensor, embedded in the bumper, assesses the space available for parking. If parking is possible, the system will automatically maneuver the wheels (steering) while all the driver must do is control braking.

Kenjuro_2
03-20-2009, 01:54 AM
If that ZT came to the US I would sell my 8G and my A4 to get it. It looks nice.

starh4x
03-20-2009, 02:16 AM
those wheels are beeautiful!

Rayth
03-20-2009, 02:32 AM
wow would you look at that dash

galantebeige
04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
This is the car that should be the next Galant. I read somewhere that they are NOT going to build it?? So sad.