PDA

View Full Version : 9G- Free Air Subs on Rear Deck?

rocgalant
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
So I want to install a sub in my 09 Galant but need trunk space. What do you think about putting a 8" free air sub in the center of the rear deck? It has the stupid ski-port where the rear arm rest is so I don't know how that would effect the air seal needed for the rig. Might be cool though to have the 6x9s and a 8" sitting there right?

ricky_db
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
trunks to big it would sound like ass

rocgalant
02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
trunks to big it would sound like ass

But aren't free-air subs designed with the idea that the trunk will act as the baffle/box; so the trunk wouldn't be too big?

ricky_db
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
every speaker has a max amount of air it can try to move tho. and ONE 8" JUST AINT GONNA CUT IT

ericbla03
02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
it would be best to put a small enclosure around the sub, that way its sealed off from the trunk. And it will have way more punch to it with a small enclosure.

rocgalant
02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
it would be best to put a small enclosure around the sub, that way its sealed off from the trunk. And it will have way more punch to it with a small enclosure.
That's an idea. I'll have to read about the smallest suitable box dimensions to fit that then. The problem is that I would then have a box hanging from the trunk rather than on the trunk floor so it may still create a trunk space issue. Thanks E

every speaker has a max amount of air it can try to move tho. and ONE 8" JUST AINT GONNA CUT IT

Alrighty then. That makes sense I guess. I really have limited knowledge about air space and subs. Thanks for the info.

ericbla03
02-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Yea, just make a small enclosure and screw it to the underside of your rear deck.. Ive seen people do it with aftermarket 6x9s too, to make the bass response a little better.

rocgalant
02-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Yea, just make a small enclosure and screw it to the underside of your rear deck.. Ive seen people do it with aftermarket 6x9s too, to make the bass response a little better.

Fo sho. Thanks buddy.

Team Helotes
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I am looking at doing this with a JL Audio 13TW5 sub. It is only 2.5 inches deep. I am planning on building a box around it. The box will only have down about 4".

rocgalant
02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
So I have these Polk MMC 690s in my rear deck and the baskets on them are huge. I was thinking, if I'm going to build an enclosure to put a sub in the middle of my rear deck, why not place a board across the entire under side of the rear deck? That way, I can seal off the sub and the 6x9s and it may look a little cleaner. What do you all think?