PDA

View Full Version : IMMA NOOB when it comes to IPODs

jamesgalant
02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
gotta question... i know im late in the game with ipods..just got one recently and since then i been wanting to upgrade my car stereo..its an old pioneer cd player.. cant even play mp3 files..that old...well my wife got me the ipod with a transmitter and...shit works but sounds horrible...and it seems like only the front speakers have sound.....
my NOOB question is ... i am looking for a new car stereo... there are some that have an AUX front input that is for the ipod connection....the ones with the "AUX" input in the front are for the best sound quality i can get with speakers and subwoof???? i also saw some units with a USB port in the back for MP3 devices and ipods...

Whats the difference between hooking up the ipod with the AUX in the front and hooking it up with the USB in the Back????

thanks, yOUR help is very much appreciated....

seth98esT
02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I believe if you use USB, you can control the playlists with the deck, if you use AUX, you have to use the iPod to change songs.

Plus with USB, it should charge as well? Idk, Ive never owned an iPod :)

BTW, when you say AUX, I assume its the 3.5mm stereo jack.

DryBear
02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Double check the specs on the head units with USB connections - most of the time they only read USB Flash drives and do not directly control or interface with iPods or other MP3 players. Most decks require a seperate iPod controller (if not already built-in).

Proto
02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
JVC makes a nice unit that is iPod ready with the connections for the radio. I'll look it up in a little bit. I don't use an iPod but my Kenwood unit has the AUX jack in the front and sounds great. USB will be able to charge your unit in the car and the AUX won't. That is the only major difference I can think of.

Jeffylou87
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I believe if you use USB, you can control the playlists with the deck, if you use AUX, you have to use the iPod to change songs.

Plus with USB, it should charge as well? Idk, Ive never owned an iPod :)

BTW, when you say AUX, I assume its the 3.5mm stereo jack.

You are 100% correct Seth-o..

I like it better when I can use the ipod itself to change the songs..

tamim13
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I believe if the USB input supports controlling the iPod, you will see something like this in the description of the head unit - "iPod direct control via USB input". Then you can control it using the controls on the head unit itself. But as Seth says, some of the USB input head units, just support flash drives, and these will not be able to play your iPod as the iPod won't show up the songs to a regular USB input head unit.

I personally prefer controlling the iPod from the iPod itself, as it gives you more extensibility because of the cable etc. Also, if the USB is in the back of the stereo and they mount the input in the glovebox, then you might want to get one that you can control from the Head unit itself.

Just my insight into the same issue I was considering when buying a head unit.

jamesgalant
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
thanks. will consider your guys advise in buying my next head unit....

spdracr
02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I got a pioneer premier and it has 2 aux in the back and a USB iPod control and since the USB is short they include an actual iPod cable about 3' long. It has the option where you can control the iPod from the unit or switch it where you can control everything from the iPod itself and it also charges while playing just like seth said

rocgalant
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I see a lot of Jensen and JVC head units that advertise the AUX and USB inputs. Again like everyone said, USB will control the Ipod and charge it. I read reviews on different units though and some people complain that the USB control isn't as good as directly controlling the Ipod and the access speed is a little slow.

fatal1
02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
yea just get one which is ipod ready. like spd said a lot of them have a dedicated ipod cable and can be switched on and off etc...most new stereos come standard with that now...any direct connection to the head unit would be the best quality though

Jeffylou87
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Look for a rear auxilary.. They work the best..

JAC00BLKES
03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
i have the pioneer 6000ub.....its a good system
comes with the usb, aux, and mp3 support...so it charges the ipod and you control it through the headunit

the only thing you have to check is how new your actual ipod is
if you just brought one you are fine but most if not all the ones on the market now only support the ipod video and newer

Blackmm
03-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I have the Sony CDX GT610ui:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-26356.html

It works great with the Ipod via the dedicated Ipod cable, but will also control SONY mp3 players thru the USB jack.

Still, I prefer just using a usb flash drive since it can be a hassle going thru 5000+ songs if you don't have a play list set up.

goldenthumb51
03-08-2009, 01:51 AM
I have an alpine 9885 with the ipod cable and its awesome. Real quick and its pretty easy to browse through the whole library.

JAC00BLKES
03-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I just always plug the iPod in and hit random

littlerick
03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
i think i'm one of the few people that use a zune lol but like others said over and over usb should charge and play and the front aux would only play

CHICAGO_ONE
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd recommend going for the Auxilary input.

Yeah, it Would be nice to control it off the HU, but you're screen is minimized by more than half than that of an iPod.

Sound output is a little nice through USB/iPod ready cables, but you can achieve the same or close quality with gold plate Aux wires (not expensive).

Most importantly, to me at least is the care of you iPod. Keeping it consistently charged/charging is damaging for it. Similar to a cell phone or laptop, it'll run down the battery.

blasta510
03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I have a alpine ida-x001 and it has the usb in the back so you can search through your songs with the head unit.
But have a Zune so i got a aux cable.
I have used my deck with the ipod feature before, and i don't really like it.
I Usually keep my zune in my hand because i can change through the songs and adjust the volume without reaching for the deck.

Go for aux.

JoeRad
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
usb wont play most times, if its a new ipod id say it for sure wont they use some weird os so your pc cant see em as hard drives and you have too use crappy itunes and also if its a new touch i dont think it will even charge. apple have screwed the ipod up. AUX is basically plugging your headphone out into the stereo very simple and fine results