View Full Version : I have an interesting idea... (mobile drive-in)

HungarianHunter
02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Hey guys! Wanted to bounce an idea off of you:

I was thinking it would be fun to make a mobile drive-in out of my galant... I would do the fip trunk mod, and on the bottom of the trunk lid attach a projector, so that it would project the image over the top of my car in front of it. Then hook up my xbox 360 as the dvd/game source, and we could play games or watch movies, and just run the audio through my speakers (back massage everytime a gun is fired ;))

I've thought about it and I don't think it would be too hard. Just need:

-Projector
-360 (have)
-Splice a wall outlet cable to my 12v (just tap into the cig lighter, and take a pc power cord and snip off the male end, to make basically a "wall outlet wire" off my cig lighter +/-) (possible?)

-Mounting brackets on trunk to make projector removable (when not in use)
-Mounting place for the 360 to make it removable as well
-Surge protector attached to my wall outlet stealthed, of course) (have)
-A/V extension cable for audio (have)

The only thing I would really need to spend money on is a projector. And I'm only getting on if I find it cheap.

I could even get a cheap fm transmitter, so people can tune into my station and have audio through their own speakers, and just watch from one projector.

I realize I would need a big flat surface and darkness.

So, just wanted to run this by you guys. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, pointless comments like "your a moron" are not so much...

Thanks!

Jeffylou87
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
-Splice a wall outlet cable to my 12v (just tap into the cig lighter, and take a pc power cord and snip off the male end, to make basically a "wall outlet wire" off my cig lighter +/-) (possible?)

Wait, what?

mapid145
02-18-2009, 02:16 AM
yah.. ^^ thats kinda confusing

E_Emerson88
02-18-2009, 03:10 AM
didnt they do this on pimp my ride??

youngin3
02-18-2009, 03:22 AM
You would have to have hella lots of battery to keep from not being able to start your car after you are done watching your movie.

Its really impractical IMO. What are you going to project onto? A big wall?

menace
02-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Also they don't make a 12 volt projector so you can't just splice off of your cig lighter. You will need a nice sized power invertor. And I agree with youngin3, kind of impractical. If you are going to have to project on a flat surface, say a garage door, might as well just go inside and play the game. Just my .02

pinoyesv6
02-18-2009, 04:54 AM
didnt they do this on pimp my ride??

yes they did.

while you're at it, you should put a popcorn machine in the arm rest

9G
02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
no, the arm rest if for your poo poo hole.

Asierra_999
02-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Yup Done On pimp my ride!
http://www.truveo.com/Pimp-My-Ride-Season-4-Moniques-Mitsubishi-Galant/id/2230408425

HungarianHunter
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Ah, I figured it had been done already. I forgot about the power inverter, thanks for reminding me, forgot that projectors aren't 12v, forget my wall outlet splicing thing.

Like I said, this is only if I can find a projector for really cheap. This would be just an experimental project. Plus, it wouldn't always be in the car, just occasionally, otherwise I'd use it inside.

We'll see, I might do it, was just curious to see what you guys had to say :D

Oh, and couldn't I just keep my car running to keep the battery charged?

seth98esT
02-18-2009, 09:20 AM
You could keep the car running, but if you dont have stock exhaust, the exhaust rumble would be annoying.

What are you going to do for a screen? Just use a white building wall? How about you mount the projector on the rear speaker deck inside the car, then have an automated pull down screen that goes over the windshield and just project the image there. Then you wouldnt need an exterior wall or screen, but you could only seat 5 haha.

Jeffylou87
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
^^ Two front people would be in the way.. And so would the person in the middle of the back.. So, it's only a 2 seater..

And no.. Your house electronics run on AC @ 115V.. Car electronics run on DC @ 12V..

Might as well just get a flip down..

seth98esT
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
^^Pico projector mounted to the headliner, remove both headrests, both people in the front seats gangster lean into the doors :P

HungarianHunter
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Lol well it wouldn'tbe just for my car, other people could joni to as well. Just get a transmitter so I could broadcast the sound on a radio station and others could tune into it. Not sure what it's called, but I've seen em.

Proto
02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
This could be done but I recommend just making a mobile station which you could set up outside the car or on the roof. The FM transmission could be done but costs a little bit. In the older days before in car speakers; they used bull horns mounted on each side of the screen so maybe you apply this idea to a mobile setup. Also you can find cheapo projectors for under $100 but the brightness of the bulb is dim on a white sheet or white painted pall so you would need a stronger projector to achieve a brighter and quality film. Shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Here's a site used for actual drive-in theatres but you might be able to apply some concepts to a mobile idea.
http://www.driveinworkshop.com/index.htm

03-Galant-ES
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Could be interesting for those long breaks between classes at school. Make a reverse hinged hood and pop it forward making that the screen :-p.

HungarianHunter
02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Could be interesting for those long breaks between classes at school. Make a reverse hinged hood and pop it forward making that the screen :-p.

Call me a dipshit.... but would that actually work?

therev
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
i think you should just do it so we can all watch movies and play games at meets! then at the end we can jumpstart your car, or if you fail miserably we can leave you there!
jk but kinda pimpish do it.
~Gabe

HungarianHunter
02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
i think you should just do it so we can all watch movies and play games at meets! then at the end we can jumpstart your car, or if you fail miserably we can leave you there!
jk but kinda pimpish do it.
~Gabe

I'm down dude :) As soon as I find a cheap projector I'll do it. I wouldn't mind being the entertainment center at meets haha

seth98esT
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
A guy at work had one of these today:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P400-Pocket-Ultraportable-Projector/dp/B001CHABHW

LED light source lasts 20,000+ hours compared to the normal 1500-3000 of a bulb light source! Its only 800x600, but it only uses 45w of power!

And I dont understand how you are going to mount the projector on the bottum of the trunk and have it projected over the top of your car? Draw us a picture? Why not leave the trunk stock, mount it to the bottum so when the trunk is open, the projector is shooting behind the car, then just grab some chairs and some popcorn.

HungarianHunter
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
A guy at work had one of these today:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P400-Pocket-Ultraportable-Projector/dp/B001CHABHW

LED light source lasts 20,000+ hours compared to the normal 1500-3000 of a bulb light source! Its only 800x600, but it only uses 45w of power!

And I dont understand how you are going to mount the projector on the bottum of the trunk and have it projected over the top of your car? Draw us a picture? Why not leave the trunk stock, mount it to the bottum so when the trunk is open, the projector is shooting behind the car, then just grab some chairs and some popcorn.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/AdamThe1337/roughexample.jpg

The projector would be on the underside of the trunk lid, and I'd do the flip flop trunk mod, so that the projector would be at a slight angle, projecting right over the top of the car onto the flat surface chosen for viewing (big buildings at night, abandoned houses, garages, or even in the middle of nowhere if i carry screen)

Like I said, the only thing stopping me from trying is a projector... and a power inverter...

qnz
02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
i like how the light bends around the back of the car. lol.

I like 03galantes idea better. but the heat from the engine would warp the white screen under the hood.

HungarianHunter
02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
i like how the light bends around the back of the car. lol.

I like 03galantes idea better. but the heat from the engine would warp the white screen under the hood.

Lol yea sorry bout the shit paint picture :P but you guys get the gist.

guynlidia2006
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
do u have a sunroof? just make a mount and put it about the sunroof when in use, or install on the dash, and if u dont like your passengers put in under the pass airbag and have it pop up on command

johnygezony
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
so you wanna be a playa ? but your ride aint fly ? you better hit us up ! to get a pimped out ride

03-Galant-ES
07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I love all the revivals we have been getting.

Adam I have a new idea. Get a Sprint Evo 4G with wifi tethering and a wireless adapter on the xbox you can have xbox live.

In yo car!

HungarianHunter
07-07-2010, 03:34 AM
:o that's nuts!