PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan

skrap
02-19-2009, 07:04 AM
OK so my oil pan is leaking really bad!!!! A couple of the threads for the bolts are stripped out. I was wondering if anyone Has done this. The help is much appritiated.
Also is there a write up on how to do our main seal?
thanks

Galant Kid
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Taking the oil pan off and heli-coiling the stripped out threads in the block will help, remember to use a new gasket and not gasket sealer when you put things back together.

The haynes manual covers the main seal, I don't think anyone here has done a write up on it. (Hint hint... do one, and post lots of pics and instructions!)

Good luck!

Jeffylou87
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Your best bet is to get a new oil pan.. Pretty easy to swap out yourself.. Make sure you get a new drain plug and the oil pan gasket to go along with it..

bmore303
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
What's funny is stock Mitsubishi doesn't have an oil pan gasket. Hella RTV Gray / Gasket Sealer does the job.

kolio
02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
What's funny is stock Mitsubishi doesn't have an oil pan gasket. Hella RTV Gray / Gasket Sealer does the job.

correct.

i don't know whay people post that there is a gasket when there isn't.

like bmore said RTV FTW!

btw some auto stores sell a cork like seal but it's poop!

skrap
02-20-2009, 05:17 AM
I actually got an oil pan gasket for it. Its cork though. The problem is that the block is stripped out so i have to retapp it

kolio
02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I actually got an oil pan gasket for it. Its cork though. The problem is that the block is stripped out so i have to retapp it

ya but the cork is useless!

just fix the threads and use rtv

skrap
02-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Are you sure that it wont leak. Any time i have used rtv it always leaks. Should i get the really strong stuff? How long do i let it sit before i can add the oil..

mko
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
get the grey rtf or go to mitsu dealer - theirs is pretty tough.

24 hrs to be fully cured

bmore303
02-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Lol RTV grey, and use GENEROUS ...GENEROUS AMOUNTS lol .

peanotation
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
i use black RTV on the oil pan; i've had to pull it and reseal it about 4 times for various reasons (never for leaks though!), have never had a leak. the first time i was getting rid of the cork gasket that was leaking lol

mko
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Lol RTV grey, and use GENEROUS ...GENEROUS AMOUNTS lol .

yeah rtv...........

Shadow19
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
RTV gray FTW! The key to it is kind of gob it up on there. Tighten the bolts a bit but make sure you dont tigthen them completely. You kind of want to leave a little bit in there to set for a while then tighten the bolts down that way it gives you a layer in between that wont squish out and it will act like a gasket. The directions tell you how to do it.

skrap
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
alright thanks guys. i gotta do it as soon as the waether warms up a bit.... its fucking cold man

Jeffylou87
02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry dudes.. :/ I assumed there was a gasket..

DOHCstunr
02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Mitsu oem case sealant is the best. that or HondaBond.
Permatex Ultra Grey meets the O.E. mitsu standards for case sealant.
its torque resistance and ultra oil resitant.

the key is to make sure you have completely and perfectly cleaned the gasket surface on the block and the oil pan.
make sure there is no residual gasket material, and after that clean it with rake pats cleaner and a fresh shop rag.
wipe it down a few times until there is no oil on the rag.
completely clean out the oil pan and clean the mounting surface just as you would the block.

if you clean it to perfection, you have a much higher success rate with your oil pan not leaking again in the future.