PDA

View Full Version : urgent keys...

sp33dd3mon
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
My neice was playin wit my car keys and she ended up losing it...I can't drive the car cuz it has no spare keys...does any1 have a master spare key 4 it or any advice of where I can get anotha key....my car cannot move..lucky thing itsz in the driveway..please help

03-Galant-ES
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
look in the couch other then that get your VIN and have a friend or someone drive you to Mitsubishi dealer.

littlerick
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
yeah i think the only thing you can do is get your vin and go to the dealer

03-Galant-ES
03-06-2009, 08:42 PM
check all your drains that could fit keys also probably toilets then after you get them replaced go to ACE Hardware and get some dummy keys they have cool designs that entertain most young kids. Thats what I did since I am the uncle of 6 and they always want my shit I just say these are my keys dont lose them when its 10$ of random design keys.

sp33dd3mon
03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Ok thanx...my best bet is 2 go 2 the dealer then cuz I looked up and down in this house and I can't find it....r they jus gonna give me a master key or a specific key

dwjp90
03-09-2009, 03:56 AM
yea they will give you your specific key (no such thing as a master), for a price

sp33dd3mon
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
And wat kind of price r we talking

4-G-rim
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
You are looking to spend around $20 for a OEM mitsu key. I worked for dealers for a long time and you have 2 options. Luckily you don't have to deal with these new transmitter keys that new cars today have.

Option #1
Call a local locksmith to make a key for you. What they will most likely do is code your key tumblers with a special tool they have and cut a new key (generic brand) for you and you will be on your way. The bad part is that its going to cost you alot. Average price is around $150...but depends and varies on locksmith and location you are at.

Option #2
Go the a Mitsu dealer and have them cut you a new key. Due to automotive theft..dealers are ALOT more strict when cutting keys due to liability on their part if a car is stolen with a cut key. They will MOST likely ask for your Drivers License/Title/Proof of registration/Proof of insurance. Some dealers will require you to have at least 2 of the required documents of ownership or all and the information has to match on the documents to prove you are the owner. Some dealers are strict..some may be more lienuent.

Good Luck.

Jeffylou87
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I paid $5 for a new key to be cut at the dealer for my car..

goldenthumb51
03-09-2009, 01:20 PM
call the dealer and see what they can do

sp33dd3mon
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
You are looking to spend around $20 for a OEM mitsu key. I worked for dealers for a long time and you have 2 options. Luckily you don't have to deal with these new transmitter keys that new cars today have.

Option #1
Call a local locksmith to make a key for you. What they will most likely do is code your key tumblers with a special tool they have and cut a new key (generic brand) for you and you will be on your way. The bad part is that its going to cost you alot. Average price is around $150...but depends and varies on locksmith and location you are at.

Option #2
Go the a Mitsu dealer and have them cut you a new key. Due to automotive theft..dealers are ALOT more strict when cutting keys due to liability on their part if a car is stolen with a cut key. They will MOST likely ask for your Drivers License/Title/Proof of registration/Proof of insurance. Some dealers will require you to have at least 2 of the required documents of ownership or all and the information has to match on the documents to prove you are the owner. Some dealers are strict..some may be more lienuent.

Good Luck.

I only got the lein title and the vin and the registration....my sis gave me the car..I dnt wanna insure it without the damn keys...can I get a key wit that??

littlerick
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
you should be able to with your license and registration, thats all we require at the dealership i work at

sp33dd3mon
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok....ima call them 2maro and get a ride up there and find out wat they need

03-Galant-ES
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
find out what they need then get a ride up there its a better order to do things in ;)

Usually registration and insurance or title is fine. since your keys are lost you will probably be better off looking for your title unless you dont lock your doors.

RedGalant2k1
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
There usually is a plastic spare emergency key in the owners manual pouch.

sp33dd3mon
03-09-2009, 11:28 PM
There usually is a plastic spare emergency key in the owners manual pouch.
All I have is the book...no pouch

03-Galant-ES
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I only got one key with my car Red2k maybe you just got it from someone who put it there.

RedGalant2k1
03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I only got one key with my car Red2k maybe you just got it from someone who put it there.

Older cars (cars before that did NOT have chipped keys) actually did have plastic emergency spare keys. They were designed for emergency use, and were originally kept with the owners manual. Since the OP presumably has a 7th Gen Galant, it should have had such a key.

All 8Gs except I believe 1999 DE's had chipped keys. Other than that if no key is present than you must do the aforementioned solutions, that is the only way.

ohgrfreak
03-18-2009, 01:57 AM
I just (a couple months ago) got a key cut from the VIN at the dealer. It cost me 12 bucks and 3 weeks because they did not have any blanks and when they got new blanks to cut, they, ehem, forgot to call me to let me know. The key I got had a different tip than the key the car came with, so it will not open the trunk like my old key did, I showed the dealer this, and he said "well it's cut from the VIN, I can't do anything else for you", at least it starts my car, but since it's so tight it'll get stuck all the way clockwise and not pop back to "on", so I have to physically pull it counterclockwise back to "on" after the car is on to drive it. And yes, I have used it enough to where it should be "set". The dealer told me to keep using it and it'll "set in/break in" eventually (where from use the hard edges on the key smooth to the tumblers after time).

I hope you don't have my problems, the dealer basically said piss off to me after bringing this up. This is a brand new huge facility in Des Moines too where I just dumped a few grand to get caught up on maintenence.

therev
03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
also just throwing this out there, you can buy Galant Keys on Ebay, then bring them to the dealer, if they dont have chips which im not sure of, then it will be somewhat cheaper to do it that route as they will just need to cut it which shouldnt cost too much. a New key Cut and programmed costed me 120$ from the stealership i believe, it was def over 100$ 108-120.

bring proof of ownership ect. aswell

~Gabe

RedGalant2k1
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
also just throwing this out there, you can buy Galant Keys on Ebay, then bring them to the dealer, if they dont have chips which im not sure of, then it will be somewhat cheaper to do it that route as they will just need to cut it which shouldnt cost too much. a New key Cut and programmed costed me 120$ from the stealership i believe, it was def over 100$ 108-120.

bring proof of ownership ect. aswell

~Gabe

If those keys aren't able to be coded, it will throw the immobilizer, then it pretty much has to go to the dealership anyways. Better off getting it from the dealership.

sp33dd3mon
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I called mitsubishi and they told me 33 for a key for my car...all I have 2 bring I think is the registration