PDA

View Full Version : One Interesting Question!

illmatic101
02-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Whats up all, I'm new here and I just bought a 99 black Galant. So far from what I can tell you guys know just about everything our cars so i've got a good question for you. I just got off the phone with a guy from Nology wires. I wanted the bets wires for my ride and being that I've heard all kinds of GOOD things about nology spark plug wires I need to know what if any year eclipse wires fit on my 99. Also I found headers for my car from rpw that are a 4 - 1 header. I wanted to know if there were any 4-2-1 headers from maybe a previous year eclipse that fit on my 99 Galant. Since im going to be seriously modifying my ride I wanted to know if anybody has tried the camshafts from rpw either stage 1 or 2. How much horse do you think you can get out of them and for stage 2 its says it gives a little rougher idle. How much of an idle change(louder I take it) would it be.

Thanks,
Illmatic101

NRG
02-06-2003, 03:01 PM
First off, most of us here uses spark plug wires from Magnecor. They are of top quality highly reputable company. Any 3g 2000+ Eclipse would fit your Galant depending if you are a 4 or a 6 cyl.

About the headers, why would you want a conservative 4-2-1 header when you can get the racing style 4-1?

Camshafts, well this is a definite HP gain but it is not a simple bolt on. But if you have a shop do it all the power to you. I wouldn't know if there will or will not be a rough idle after changing the shafts.....

Strahan
02-06-2003, 03:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(illmatic101)</div><div class='quotemain'>How much of an idle change(louder I take it) would it be. </div>

It really depends on the cam specs. Cams can run from mild to wild. I had a set of Comp 286h Magnum cams in my Nova that the idle was so lumpy you almost had to keep giving it gas to keep going https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>About the headers, why would you want a conservative 4-2-1 header when you can get the racing style 4-1?</div>

It's not really cut-and-dried 4-1 is the way to go. It depends on where you want your power boost. 4-1 is great for top end power but at the expense of low end torque. If you don't run very high RPM very much a 4-2-1 would probably be preferrable. If you are always gunning it and racing alot then yea, stick 4-1. Actually I imagine most people on here live above 5k so I guess it's moot hehe. I personally want more power for regular daily driving.

illmatic101
02-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I have a 99 4cyl Galant so the nology wires from 3g eclipse shouls fit fine right? I wanted the 4-2-1 because I heard that they give more low end trq & hp but if you say they 4-1 is better then I'll try those instead. About the camshafts I do know a shop around my way who can do it for me. I was just curious about the HP differences between them to make up my mind on. RPW said that for stage 1 you can just put it in without any valve spring changes. But for stage 2 you have to have new valve springs and a few other mods. Since im going to be doing all kinds of stuff to my car could you possibly tell me how much of a HP, TRQ, and drive feel difference I can expect out of AEM CAI, 4-1 header, hi flo cat, and a custimized 2.5" cat back exhaust. Thanks for the help! You guys Rule!

Thanks,
illmatic101

Galant_01
02-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Wow! Ambitious new guy! Cool if you are for reals!

But anyway I don't think anyone on here has the Cam. I could be wrong though.

mrjaydeeone
02-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Just wanted to say what's up and welcome....Staten Island NYC here

RedGalant2k1
02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(illmatic101)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 99 4cyl Galant so the nology wires from 3g eclipse shouls fit fine right? I wanted the 4-2-1 because I heard that they give more low end trq & hp but if you say they 4-1 is better then I'll try those instead. About the camshafts I do know a shop around my way who can do it for me. I was just curious about the HP differences between them to make up my mind on. RPW said that for stage 1 you can just put it in without any valve spring changes. But for stage 2 you have to have new valve springs and a few other mods. Since im going to be doing all kinds of stuff to my car could you possibly tell me how much of a HP, TRQ, and drive feel difference I can expect out of AEM CAI, 4-1 header, hi flo cat, and a custimized 2.5" cat back exhaust. Thanks for the help! You guys Rule!

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Thanks,
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* illmatic101</div>

just a guess, but prolly somewhere around 160-170bhp or 130-140whp, and thats generous. with similar torque numbers...

99DE
02-06-2003, 04:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(illmatic101)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whats up all, I'm new here and I just bought a 99 black Galant. Â*So far from what I can tell you guys know just about everything our cars so i've got a good question for you. Â*I just got off the phone with a guy from Nology wires. Â*I wanted the bets wires for my ride and being that I've heard all kinds of GOOD things about nology spark plug wires I need to know what if any year eclipse wires fit on my 99. Â*Also I found headers for my car from rpw that are a 4 - 1 header. I wanted to know if there were any 4-2-1 headers from maybe a previous year eclipse that fit on my 99 Galant. Â*Since im going to be seriously modifying my ride I wanted to know if anybody has tried the camshafts from rpw either stage 1 or 2. Â*How much horse do you think you can get out of them and for stage 2 its says it gives a little rougher idle. Â*How much of an idle change(louder I take it) would it be. Â*

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Thanks,
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Illmatic101</div>

Only warning I know of about the Nology, is that the capasitor built inside the wires can fail and then your car will run like Sh_t. Like the past post said, the Magnecore wires are very reliable and excellent quality.

HeadAche
02-06-2003, 05:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant_01)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wow! Ambitious new guy! Cool if you are for reals!

But anyway I don't think anyone on here has the Cam. I could be wrong though.</div>

Yup very ambitious, never really had a guy on here actually come on and think about necessary parts, than worry about turbochargers.. I like that..