PDA

View Full Version : New (Used) Wheels. I need some answers.

youngin3
03-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Before you start bitching, don't think I got ripped off for buying these. I didn't.

I have looked around for a while now and I can't find any info on these wheels. They are 17" Motegi R7s but there is no trace of them on Motegi's site.

I am assuming they are lug-centric. I don't have any bad problems with them feeling out of balance on the car. I only balanced the two I put on the back because I put different tires on them.

I am rubbing in the back but I am assuming that is because I put a size too big of tires on there. It only rubs when I hit a bump, it doesn't take much though.

The finish on one of them is gone on one of the spokes and it doesn't look like paint. Are these Teflon coated, or is that some special kind of finish? I am not too savvy on this topic.

I took a picture of the wheel so you could see.

Is this something I can just have sandblasted and powder coated and be done with it?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/lavieinjuste/IMG_0119-1.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/lavieinjuste/IMG_0122.jpg

greddy
03-17-2009, 11:54 PM
yeah just have them prepped and powdercoated if there are no cracks or bends

youngin3
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
That blemish is recessed into the wheel quite a bit though. Is that damage to the wheel itself or is it just the finish?

RedGalant2k1
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Motegi MR7s, discontinued. What size tires did you put on them?

4g63lover
03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
looks like 225/45/17's Dave, so I doubt theyre rubbing cuz of the tires. Have you gotten it algned? are you dropped? if not, maybe your rear suspension needs replacing??

I wouldn't sandblast wheels.

Since, they're pretty much what the car sits on with all its weight, I wouldnt risk getting them sandblasted and reducing the structural integrity of the wheel.

9G
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
doesn't powdercoating weakens the wheels?

RedGalant2k1
03-19-2009, 09:23 PM
doesn't powdercoating weakens the wheels?

No.

youngin3
03-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's the plan:

1. I am going to get some new tires that fit properly. The front had 225/45ZR17 on them. They are one way radials. The rear had 225/55R17. They are just plain radials. They are the ones that were rubbing in the rear. It would only rub on the left side though? I don't know why. I swapped them front to rear though because of the lack of massive fender gap in the back that the front has. I am going to take money out of my savings and put money back in every week out of my paycheck to get the balance back to where it was.

2. I am going to send the rims off to a wheel repair center. I will just do the same thing I am doing with the tires as far as funds go. It should be about $100 a wheel to get them done and it only takes a day or two. I found out that one of the wheels has a small bend in it. I can't feel the bend though while driving, so it is nothing too major.

3. I want to get some hub-centric rings so mounting these wheels isn't such a PITA. The hub bore on the wheels is 72.7mm I am pretty sure. I forgot what the hub size is on our cars already. It is all over the forums.

Do you guys approve of the plan, or do you have better ideas?

I may wait on getting the wheels fixed until I can save up the money separately. The only good reason I have to dig into my savings is to get tires as a safety issue, not because I want them to look good.

bmaddock
03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Not to bag on them, just trying to be constructive but if I'm not mistaken I've heard these are fairly weak wheels so be careful, I believe I read it on mitsubishipowered cause BJ used to have those. They look great though!, i want them in black

03-Galant-ES
03-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Hmmm I would sand them down and just paint them with wheel coating. I wouldnt put much more money into them then you already have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170184783484&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

There are hub centric rings for the G for 13 bucks shipped I am using them with my Konigs.

therev
03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
The wheels def look good, use the information provided, sand blasting WILL make them weaker, but not by too much if you do it correctly

~Gabe

youngin3
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Hmmm I would sand them down and just paint them with wheel coating. I wouldnt put much more money into them then you already have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170184783484&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

There are hub centric rings for the G for 13 bucks shipped I am using them with my Konigs.

Really? I have only put $20 into them so far. I am not THAT cheap!

03-Galant-ES
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
lol there is a reason they only sold for 20 they are discontinued if you get them fixed and they are reported as soft wheels at some part you may not be able to repair one and may not be able to replace it then your out the 100 dollars extra per wheel that you paid to fix it.

Wet sand it by hand and wheel coat it in my opinion another 20 bucks put some bondo to fill that slight gap that it has and it will look good until you replace them a year or 2 down the line. Thats just my opinion man you can repair them. It can work perfectly or something can go wrong. Best of luck Im not trying to discourage you I am just giving my opinion.

youngin3
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
I think the only reason they sold for $20 is that the kid who sold them to me didn't know what they were. They came on his car when he bought it. He said they were some kind of 'racing wheels'. I looked them over pretty good before I took them. I can't think of any reason they would not be able to be repaired. The only issue with them is that one has a slight bend it the lip. Everything else is just damage to the finish on the wheel.

youngin3
03-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I have fallen in love with these tires. They are cheap ones, but they grip the road EXCEPTIONALLY! I went out to the Supercollider building (abandoned) and there are large parking lots and long curved roads on the property. All of them very smooth. I did some cornering and all that.

I slowed down because my suspension was too bouncy and it felt like the car was going to roll over. haha

HungarianHunter
03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I have fallen in love with these tires. They are cheap ones, but they grip the road EXCEPTIONALLY! I went out to the Supercollider building (abandoned) and there are large parking lots and long curved roads on the property. All of them very smooth. I did some cornering and all that.

I slowed down because my suspension was too bouncy and it felt like the car was going to roll over. haha

Which tires?

youngin3
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
My new ones. I got Hankook Ventus. I can't remember what exact tire it is though. It's wet outside. I will look when I leave school here around lunch.