PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Change

732Galant
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I am changing the radiator tomorrow. I was told to put in a gallon of straight anti freeze and then use water. Not a specific kind of water, just water. I could have sworn I read to use 50/50, so I am asking what I should do.

es_fact
03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
i've always done 50/50 man

i even bother to put half water into the container itself before i throw it into the rad...

pinoyesv6
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
if u buy premixed fluid u really can't get it wrong. just pour it in and call it a day.

es_fact
03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
if u buy premixed fluid u really can't get it wrong. just pour it in and call it a day.

lmao.. thats true...

ezekiel.glnt
03-18-2009, 11:45 PM
while ur there u might as well inspect ur hoses for signs of wear and tear, or replace them if u havent already .

732Galant
03-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah all the hose are good. They're relatively new, the radiator itself just got a hairline crack on top so I am going to replace it. So 50/50 is the way to go then. Thanks!

03-Galant-ES
03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
The only reason I would tell you to get straight is its like half the price and it lasts longer. I used straight at the Garage and I've seen a few of my coworkers pour it in straight and have to drain it out again because they fucked up.

50/50 is fine for home unless you expect a leak have fun

platano
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM

^pretty much.

732Galant
03-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Well rather than risk something happening with straight antifreeze and then adding water, maybe I'll just buy the prediluted 50/50 stuff. About how long should this take?

es_fact
03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
not long ifyou know what your doing lol.. put aside 1 hour... I like to start the car with the cap off after wards so i can release any air bubble... lol.. it might get messy :(

732Galant
03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
The only reason I would tell you to get straight is its like half the price and it lasts longer. I used straight at the Garage and I've seen a few of my coworkers pour it in straight and have to drain it out again because they fucked up.

50/50 is fine for home unless you expect a leak have fun

What exactly are you recommending lol? I think you're suggesting 50/50 but Im not sure.

brad995
03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
What exactly are you recommending lol? I think you're suggesting 50/50 but Im not sure.

Just get 50/50 and your life will be a lot easier.

I've replaced the radiator, upper radiator hose, and both heater core hoses and I have always used 50/50 with no problems.

youngin3
03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
50/50 is what we use at the shop, and we haven't had an unhappy or unsatisfied customer.

bmaddock
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I buy straight and then do a 50/50 with water in a bucket and pour in, but yeah very important to squeeze the upper hose before starting and try to get air bubbles out and then continuously check your coolant level for the next week or so, watch the thermostat and you'll be fine.

732Galant
03-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Did the straight and mixed it. Replaced the thermostat. Got out as many airbubbles as I could. On the way home it was running hotter then normal. Should I add more coolant in the AM?

pinoyesv6
03-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Did the straight and mixed it. Replaced the thermostat. Got out as many airbubbles as I could. On the way home it was running hotter then normal. Should I add more coolant in the AM?

is there room to add more coolant? thats what u should be asking yourself. can't really add more if the thing is full...

732Galant
03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Havent looked. I am going to look in the morning. I guess I should have done that first

732Galant
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Went and got an oil change this morning and the temp was where it should be. I guess maybe it just had to go through the system and stuff.

silversurfer
03-21-2009, 11:20 PM
the reason they ask you to use water to make the solution 50 50 is that water has a slightly higher boiling point than the solution that will aid you a couple degrees in the event of and boil over or over heat.

732Galant
03-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Ok so I gave it a good run today and it was running a bit higher then normal. Anything I should check first? Fluid level is good, no leaks.

ezekiel.glnt
03-22-2009, 11:44 PM
are your fans kicking on?

732Galant
03-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Haven't actually noticed. The night I changed the radiator it ran hot right when I was getting home so I just turned it off for the night and checked the fluid in the morning. Following day only drove it to get an oil change 5 mins away then home until I drove it for about 15 mins away and then back a few hours later. It was colder. Yesterday was a nice day and went grocery shopping and it was normal there, on the way back stopped to get cigs and left it idling and it was ok, pulled into my complex and it was higher then normal.

polishmafia
03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
You need to PROPERLY bleed the cooling system of bubbles. Just pouring in coolant and squeezing the upper hose is not how to do it right.

- Fill the radiator and reservoir tank
- Start the car, and turn on the heat to the highest setting (temp and fan)
- As the car warms up, eventually the thermostat will open (this can take anywhere from a few minutes to 15 minutes plus) and you need to add more fluid to the radiator until it is full
- Don't squeeze the upper hose, because you might suck in more air
- Once the radiator is full, top off the reservoir tank if needed. Put the cap on and you're set.

The car should then be blowing nice warm air, and the temp gauge should sit in the middle (if not, a little lower) than the middle of the gauge.

Fishboy55
03-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Ok so I gave it a good run today and it was running a bit higher then normal. Anything I should check first? Fluid level is good, no leaks.

Wait until its cool, then remove the cap and let it idle till the thermostat opens...sounds like you've got an air bubble in there. when the thermostat opens you'll see the level drop. then refill cap it off and call it a day.

LOL Pete....i was typing at the same time you were...glad we agreed.... :lol:

732Galant
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Ran it for about 20 mins with the heat on full blast and the cap off. Fan kicked on a bunch of times but the fluid level in the radiator and the resevoir never changed. After about 20 mins of it being at normal temp I called it quits. Any other ideas? It never overheated or ran hotter then normal while doing this.

ezekiel.glnt
03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
radiator cap may not be holding pressure. also did u replace with new radiator or used 1, if used maybe its just drty.

732Galant
03-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Its a new radiator. I did what Polish recommended last night and had it running at normal operating temp for about 20 minutes with the fans kicking on and off and it never ran past normal temp. Im thinking with the new fluid, new radiator, new thermostat that maybe when I got off the parkway it didnt all work to kick the fans on at the time I was used to. Hopefully today it is fine.

polishmafia
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Glad to hear it worked out.

732Galant
03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Ran a bit hot today on the way home from work. It went alittle passed the middle, like in comparison to how it normally was, it was the same distance away from mid, just hotter. I dont know if this is a problem or just a new thermostat thats a bit different. Wasn't losing coolant, not burning oil, no leaks, fans came on, I guess it is what it is.

es_fact
03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
not a problem, I don't think so anyways... I run vehicles out the shop liek that often.. as long as they are under the final (too hot) quarter line.. you should be fine... what i do is i put the heater full blast... canr on.. rev it and hold it at about 2grand... if that don't heat it.. nothing will :D

silversurfer
03-26-2009, 08:28 PM
did you run it with the cap off untill all of the air came out ? thats probally the reason why.

732Galant
03-26-2009, 08:36 PM
How would I know if all the air came out? I ran it at normal operating temp for 20 mins and there were no bubbles or anything coming out of the radiator, fan kicked on a bunch of times, never went over the mid level on the temp guage. After driving it the next day for about 20 mins at 70 mph it went a bit over mid on the guage but only a little.

GSpeed
02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Interested in what Brand / Type coolent members are using. I'm awaiting information on OEM coolent specs for 02 Galant ES-V6 however, I've been using Zerex ZXG051 coolent with distilled water (drain radiator once a year) or BASF Glysantin Alu Protect G30. Any comments appreciated.

varroa
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
mitsubishi longlife antifreeze with distilled water FTW!!!

johnygezony
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
would a Eclipse Aluminum radiator fit our cars ? v6 more specifically

GSpeed
02-18-2010, 06:23 AM
varroa, would the coolant be the following;
Mitsubishi Diaqueen Super Long Life Coolant (Part # MZ311986)?

Photos of container;
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cQRfa6Azb6o/SDbs6QDbw2I/AAAAAAAAAB4/8dIEIk582f0/s1600/DSCN1049

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cQRfa6Azb6o/SDbtPgDbw3I/AAAAAAAAACA/mYVNdwu9_-

varroa
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
sorry i don't know the part number. it looks like this:
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/catalog/mitsucoolant.jpg

mitsubishi only makes two types of coolant, and the other type has a very specific use. but this one fits almost all and any mitsubishi vehicle.

GSpeed
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
varroa, I appreciate you taking the time to take photo and post it, thank you! No part number on back near barcode? I guess Mitsubishi don't want part # made available. Very competitive business the coolant industry. Did you obtain at Mitsubishi dealer?
Again, thanks!

varroa
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM
yep, i got it at the dealership.

i can't take a look at the barcode, because i threw away the jug right after i refilled the cooling system. the picture is from the internet.

don't forget to buy some distilled water at your local grocery shop. DO NOT use drinking or tap water to mix with the coolant! salts and minerals contained in any water other than distilled one will form deposits in the cooling system that will reduce the effectiveness of heat transfer/dissipation.

varroa
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM
did you run it with the cap off untill all of the air came out ? thats probally the reason why.

i keep on reading this everywhere as far as the bleeding process goes.

but every time i try it, the coolant just ends up slowly raising out of the radiator and spilling all by itself.

what i don't get, is it not supposed to come out with the cap off? as soon as the engine gets somewhat warm, it starts raising on my engine.