PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof issue on girlfriend's 9g Galant

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
This is my first post here :smt006

My girlfriend has an '04 GTS Galant. She is having a problem with her sunroof/headliner. There is a rubber liner around the inside opening of the moonroof and when it's opened the air gets through the rubber "frame" around the opening and pulls the headliner down. She has to pull the rubber "frame" out of shape a little to shove the headliner back in there. Is there a fix to this?

We've noticed if we slide the sunroof open control and let the sunroof retract by itself it will stop about an inch/inch and a half shorter than it actually can open. If we slide the button again to open it further, it will slide back about another inch or two. This seems to be when the above happens.

Any ideas? :confused:

Jeffylou87
03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
As far as opening it more.. The sunroof is supposed to do that when you try to open it more than what it automatically opens to..

But the air pulling down the headliner?
Does the air go in when you don't "double open" it, or does it do it no matter how far you open it?

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
The sunroof clicks in a spot when first opened, but if you slide the sunroof button again it opens more. It happens whether or not we allow it to stay in the first "clicked" spot, or if we "double open" it. This is what has left me confused.

Jeffylou87
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, that double click is supposed to happen... About the air coming in, there's something missing there.. If she got it new from the dealer, she might still have the bumper to bumper warranty that is a 5 year 60k mi term.

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
She's over 100k right now and probably outside of her 5 year warranty. She has an extended warranty up to 150k. I'll try and see if I can just take some Gorilla glue (or something else) and make sure it stays. I've never tried to repair a headliner, so I don't know the best methods for fixing them.

Proto
03-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Duck tape. You drive a DSM, you should know how to fix these things.

Honestly though, make sure the sunroof isn't popping off the tracks or snagging on anything that may up there... also invest in a wind deflector.

HOT04GTS
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
This is my sunroof. The actual moving parts of the sunroof are working perfectly. Its the rubber frame around the headliner. Wind somehow moves it and gets under the headliner. Im sure I can get some sort of adhesive to "glue" the headliner up. Just wanted to do it right.

Proto
03-26-2009, 11:13 AM
The rubber trim ring should snap into place and shouldn't come down. Try a couple small drops of super glue in the areas where the wind 'catches' it.

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Duck tape. You drive a DSM, you should know how to fix these things.

Hardi harr harr....:rolleyes::cool::D

Yea, I should. I just don't want to start tearing into her headliner and make it worse. A wind deflector would work, but doesn't solve the problem since we don't have one. Gotta give Mitsubishi credit for continuing to build quality cars...

krazienluv10
03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
alot of 04/05 galant had this problem, including me.... its a simple fix...go to the hardware store and but some extreme velcro... normal velcro wont work, at least i dont think. its only a 3 bucks anyways.

what you do is pull down the liner a couple inches enough to be able to stick you hand inside between the liner and metal sheeting. add a couple strips to the sheet metal, and do the same on the inside liner(make sure they line up when u put the liner back). Epoxy works really well, thats what i used. it takes a while to dry... soo just push them together and leave it alone and dont open the sunroof for a good day...

problem solved

HOT04GTS
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks...a good saturday project.

Rayth
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks...a good saturday project.

have fun with it