PDA

View Full Version : How come the search feature sucks?

Stewi
03-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I dont know whats up with the search feature. I was trying to find the thread about the DDM HID kits, I eventually found it just browsing. When I search "in title only" for "DDM" It says no topics found, I can search "HID" as well, no topics found. WTF!!!!

9G
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
yuppers.

charris
03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think it will accept any alphanumeric string under 3 characters. If you put any in, it will ignore them. I had the same problem searching for HUD and a few other things...

Proto
03-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Edit: Minimum of 2 letters required to return a search. I tried searching HID and DDM, both returned results.

Stewi
03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
amazing. it works now but not last night.

Proto
03-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Stewi, I replied to your last PM. MySQL has the minimum word length at 4 characters so I dropped it down to 2 characters. Our vB settings are to use fulltext through MySQL instead of using its internal search.

charris
03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I think this would explain why all my page requests last night were met by "database error" or "search is indexing, we will be back shortly" messages. :P

Proto, have you been editing your messages like crazy? I've got emails quoting replies to this thread (by you) that don't exist when I visit the page.
<creepy stalker face>

:cool:

Proto
03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Last night I had to rebuild the post and search databases to work properly with MySQL. It takes a lot of resources to process over 400k posts so for short periods of time I was closing the forum.

and no I'm not editing my posts lol

USMCSKYLINE
04-02-2009, 01:43 AM
I dont know whats up with the search feature. I was trying to find the thread about the DDM HID kits, I eventually found it just browsing. When I search "in title only" for "DDM" It says no topics found, I can search "HID" as well, no topics found. WTF!!!!

yeah I gotta agree with this. I've been wanting to make a few topics but I've seen people say we should use the search feature, but for to me it seems broken.