PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Bushings

Galant Ryder
02-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I wanted to know if anyone ever got their suspension bushings changed. i dont know if i need it but NYCTrini (Denver) told me my ride was a little rough. i dont know how to go about doing this.. is there a aftermarket performance set of bushings?? of should i stick to the Mitsubishi factory bushings? or can i even change them or are there such thing as suspension bushings??? i have no idea..if so what should i do and how much would it cost to buy it and get it installed?

IllestGalant
02-16-2003, 10:51 AM
get ready to bend over, there are no replacement for the bushings ANYWHERE on our cars. If a bushing blows out in the rear, the entrire
spindle has to get replacement, and with a discount it is 1,000 dollars from the dealership, yes i said 1,000 dollars, These bushings are a very common failure on our car and is an all day proccess to replace.
Just parts is yes i said 1,000 dollars. I went to my local auto store and bought "help" bushings that looked like they might work. I shaped them and installed them but they only lasted a couple hundred miles.

manybrews
02-16-2003, 12:25 PM
considering i have NEVER replaced ANY bushing on ANY mitsu EVER built, id say dont worry about it.

JiP
02-16-2003, 03:47 PM
We can use a LOT of stuff made for 2g eclipse I got prothane engine mounts from a 2g havnt installed them yet too cold. Energy suspensions, prothatne have full suspension kits that you could use, but it is major work to remove the old and install the new. The motor mounts you have to like get a torch and burn the old ones out...unless you have a hydrolic press https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

IllestGalant
02-16-2003, 09:24 PM
he said suspension bushings, not motor mounts, the motor mounts are cheap as hell. the suspension bushings are not cheap because they are not available seperately from the spindles. You should not ignore this because without a bushing there is metal to metal contact and will eventually wear through to breaking.

BEAST
02-16-2003, 10:26 PM
I thought I remembered somebody using some kind of aftermarket bushings on thier 7g. They just used the ones from the 2g eclipse. I think that he got most of them on but some of them didn't work. I can't remember the name of the set but do a search.

JiP
02-16-2003, 10:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>he said suspension bushings, not motor mounts, the motor mounts are cheap as hell. the suspension bushings are not cheap because they are not available seperately from the spindles. You should not ignore this because without a bushing there is metal to metal contact and will eventually wear through to breaking.</div>

I know what he said I was using he motor mounts as an example how we can use eclipse listed parts. And here:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm')

Scroll down, Energy Suspension bushings full set $160.

Galant Ryder
02-16-2003, 11:12 PM
What part are you talking about thats $1000??? i got my upper control arms done for about $300 for parts and labor...and the mechanic kept calling it a spindle...i hope this isnt the same thing your talking about because if it is someoneslying right to your face...and thats fucked up.. if its not what your talking about they please let me know. thanx

JiP
02-16-2003, 11:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought I remembered somebody using some kind of aftermarket bushings on thier 7g. Â*They just used the ones from the 2g eclipse. Â*I think that he got most of them on but some of them didn't work. Â*I can't remember the name of the set but do a search.</div>

Yes a 2g kit, I know people who have done it never heard of the bushings "not working" unless your talking about removing the stock ones it is a horrible process lol. Ones you cant get out you have to melt out and then dremel the hole clean. Massive pain in the ass.

Also some people dont like the feel of the stiffer bushings, (Especialy prothanes they are stiff bastards), and they tend to squeek sometimes.

IllestGalant
02-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Yes the upper control arm is only 300, but if you needed the bushing for the lower compression arm, the lateral control arm, or the knuckle connecting to the upper control arm in the rear, those bushings are not seperate from the entire spindle which is 500 a side.

JiP
02-17-2003, 12:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes the upper control arm is only 300, but if you needed the bushing for the lower compression arm, the lateral control arm, or the knuckle connecting to the upper control arm in the rear, those bushings are not seperate from the entire spindle which is 500 a side.</div>

You can buy them seperate. And its less then $200 for the entire car.

Audiphile
05-09-2003, 08:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes the upper control arm is only 300, but if you needed the bushing for the lower compression arm, the lateral control arm, or the knuckle connecting to the upper control arm in the rear, those bushings are not seperate from the entire spindle which is 500 a side.</div>

You can buy them seperate. And its less then $200 for the entire car.</div>

Great, please tell me where I can get them separately! I need the upper control-arm bushing, which is built into the knuckle. I was about to shell out for the knuckle, but I would much rather spend on just a bushing and have my mechanic press it in..
thanks in advance,
-Mike

rfpa1
05-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Hello out there:

Something is wrong here.

I have been taking care of my 95es and I have been doing most of the work myself. I just finished replacing my rear suspension.
This is more or less what I paid:

Knucles - 235 and 167
link control arm - 25 each
arm assemly - (the one with joint) 62 ea
2 bushing for lower control -12
2 gas raiders 150 and mount kit
2 lower rear arms 75 both.
rear aligment -

One thing is that you need to use plenty of liquid wrench. Also the bushing rear control arm is a pain to get out. the bolt is stuck in there and you might have to cut. Iam replacing tthat this week sometime now that I have the torch and cutter ready.

It take some time because you have to drop the whole side, including the shocks(struts) then brake, you can do it, make sure you torque the bolts correctly.

Now I have agreat ride in the back, but the front is beginning to make noises when driving over holes and bad roads.

Audiphile
05-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Do you have abs brakes? If you do, how were you able to save the old sensors?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfpa1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hello Â*out there:

Something is wrong here.

I have been taking care of my 95es and I have been doing most of the work myself. I just finished replacing my rear suspension.
This is more or less what I paid:

Knucles - 235 and 167
link control arm - 25 each
arm assemly - (the one with joint) 62 ea
2 bushing for lower control -12
2 gas raiders 150 and mount kit
2 lower rear arms 75 both.
rear aligment - Â*

One thing is that you need to use plenty of liquid wrench. Also the bushing rear control arm is a pain to get out. Â*the bolt is stuck in there and you might have to cut. Â*Iam replacing tthat this week sometime now that I have the torch and cutter ready.

It take some time because you have to drop the whole side, including the shocks(struts) then brake, you can do it, make sure you torque the bolts correctly.

Now I have agreat ride in the back, but the front is beginning to make noises when driving over holes and bad roads.</div>

rfpa1
05-10-2003, 07:00 PM
HI:

Im lucky because this G does not have abs, I do not like them that much. The front rotors and rear drums are my favorite. I have stopped from 65 to 0 in almost nothing, not tire marks, straight. I always check them trust them and do anything to keep my wheels balanced and aligned. I do heavy driving while commuting. With the abs I have had some bad experiences in emergency braking. (Trust me driving from PA to South Jersey during rush is bad).

Anyway looking at the abs, you should be able to remove the rear brakes in one piece if you are carefull, then without disconnecting them from the brake fluid line, just hang them with a wire from somewhere. You should be able to pull everything out with out trouble.

What I did was, unbolted the 4 bolts holding the rear wheel bearing ( i forgot the name) then gently pulled it with the brakes and back plate off. (Unscrew the line from the knuckle first). Hang from the first place I found with some wire. After that, uncrewed everything else. You might need to loosen the bolt that hold the ABS swith or line im not sure.

IllestGalant
05-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Yes the upper control arm is only 300, but if you needed the bushing for the lower compression arm, the lateral control arm, or the knuckle connecting to the upper control arm in the rear, those bushings are not seperate from the entire spindle which is 500 a side.

You can buy them seperate. And its less then $200 for the entire car.
sorry, no you can't

JiP
05-11-2003, 11:54 PM
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm')

Towards the bottom, 2g kit. Might take you a full day per tire to do it though unless you got a hydrolic press handy. Installation will be like this:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/bushings.html ('http://www.vfaq.com/mods/bushings.html')

And the hard part is getting the metal sleeve out of the arm, you have to use a tourch to burn out the old busing then a hacksaw to cut the sleeve out to put the new bushing in, unless you have a press you can just popem out. Major pain in the ass but cheaper to do that then buy all new arms.

Hell you could just use window adhesive to repair the old bushing like RRE does on engine mounts.

bronxbombr
05-12-2003, 05:59 PM
i have a spare set of those parts u are talking about, i had bought em off a used G but never mounted them I am willing to part with them but if not i can still use em since then i have had my car dropped and might need to change mine. lemme know

curiosidee
06-26-2003, 12:08 PM
lol this is the smallest of parts on these cars but one of the most expensive and pain in the but parts to fix you cant just go by the little bushings you have to replace the whole dam control arm drum etc i had this problem and i got the parts used but i still had to come out the pocket as others would say i had to bend over and take it to fix this problem or just keep buying new tires i was eating tires every 2 weeks cuz of this

rfpa1
06-26-2003, 05:15 PM
I think that changing them just because is a bad idea. If you need to change them because they are worn is a diferent idea.

If you want to see how much it will cost go to www.mitsubishiparts.com and select the oem catalog and you will be able to select the car and the parts. compare the dealer against their cost and you will see.

I replaced my rear suspension everything except the crossmember, if you want I probably can scan the bills for the parts, but it is expensive, not counting that I did not charge myself the more or less $95.00 per hour charge and it took more or less 8 hours.

Now I just started in the front because they need to be replaced, to much play.

By the way the rear parts were the original 95 parts, I replaced them with about 160K because they were beginning to make noise and my mechanic told me that they were showing signs of breaking apart.

The front was done by the dealer with 23K miles due to a bad aligment they did.

bronxbombr
06-26-2003, 08:37 PM
1000 bux, wow i cop them off a 95 galant for only 60 a side. Now i feel real lucky.

4g64DOHC-T
07-08-2003, 11:36 PM
I personally do all of my own automotive work I pay nobody to do work on my car with the exception of alignments. I have also personally installed an entire energy suspension master set for a 2g eclipse on my 95g yes they are a bitch but there is a very easy way to get out the old bushings. Drill a hole in the rubber and cut the outer metal sleeve then use a metal chisel bend the metal sleeve and the bushing will come out very easily the bushing are well worth installing. They squeak like usual i even used extra lube on the bushings. As far as suspension parts go our control arms are the same as 95-99 talon eclipse sebring and 94-98 galant go figure there are some other cars that carry these parts also but i dont have the names on hand. My g is a 5 speed shifter parts are the same in the eclipse and talon for short shifters and shift bushings our clutches are the same. happy tuning. :idea: