PDA

View Full Version : Gas milage

queball
02-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey ive beeen noticeing the last couple of months my card is getting about 270 miles to a tank of gas. i know it does bad on gas in the winter but this is the worest its ever done... any one else getting crappy milage? since its gotten colder then hell or do you think somethings messed up with my engine..

Kain
02-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Nope, actually I just checked it again, still at about 600 miles per fill-up.

pinoyesv6
02-09-2003, 09:49 PM
are ur regular maintenance intervals being fufilled? that can help increase ur fuel economy. warming up ur car b4 u drive will too

queball
02-10-2003, 12:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>are ur regular maintenance intervals being fufilled? that can help increase ur fuel economy. warming up ur car b4 u drive will too</div>

yea i just changed the oil and it looks like i got my first oil leak so i need to crawl under there and see it something loose or what..

pinoyesv6
02-10-2003, 01:03 AM
im not just talking about oil change. im talking about spark plugs, checking the conditions of ur spark plug wires, fuel filter maybe. uhm tire pressure. checking ur air filter. things like that

queball
02-10-2003, 03:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>im not just talking about oil change. im talking about spark plugs, checking the conditions of ur spark plug wires, fuel filter maybe. uhm tire pressure. checking ur air filter. things like that</div>

every thing is new except the spark plugs but there not that old

queball
02-10-2003, 05:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nope, actually I just checked it again, still at about 600 miles per fill-up.</div>

how the hell do you get 600 miles to a take im lucky if i get 320 how they hell so you get that kind of milage..????

Kain
02-10-2003, 07:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queball)</div><div class='quotemain'>how the hell do you get 600 miles to a take im lucky if i get 320 Â*how they hell so you get that kind of milage..????</div>

I dunno, it's almost always done really well on gas. I keep 'er well maintained, run 94 octane, oil changed regularly, tire pressure well maintained, and I usually drive to conserve gas. Keeping it's weight down helps too I guess. Or maybe the automotive gremlins swapped out my 17 gallon tank for a much larger one? I don't really know. I'm just glad it only needs fuel about every 2.5 weeks.

queball
02-10-2003, 07:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queball)</div><div class='quotemain'>how the hell do you get 600 miles to a take im lucky if i get 320 Â*how they hell so you get that kind of milage..????</div>

I dunno, it's almost always done really well on gas. I keep 'er well maintained, run 94 octane, oil changed regularly, tire pressure well maintained, and I usually drive to conserve gas. Keeping it's weight down helps too I guess. Or maybe the automotive gremlins swapped out my 17 gallon tank for a much larger one? I don't really know. I'm just glad it only needs fuel about every 2.5 weeks.</div>
geez thats wierd i take realy good care of my car and ive never got more then 340miles out of a tank the whole time ive had it.. but im going to probley change my spark plugs today ,after i find out why im leaking oil i hope its just the damn plug.. and not any thing with the pan even though i know i screwed up the pan trying to get that plug loose you know it was tighter then hell if i twisted the pan trying to get the plug out..

95galant-s
02-10-2003, 04:04 PM
i used to get about 450-500 miles to a tank last summer when i bought my car. this winter i can only get about 345 miles. i just did a complete tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.) and it didnt change my mileage at all. someone told me that not putting the original ngk plugs in it might of messed it up but that doesnt sound right to me. and i do keep up regular maintenance. any ideas anyone?

JiP
02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
270 lmao. I get 180 if i'm lucky and no one can figure it out.

JiP
02-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Ok while on the subject, I threw in some dry gas additive cause the only thing left I could think of is water in the tank cause I always run till empty, (bad i know)...and for the first half tank I was doin good about 120miles thats about 20mpg. After that half a tank it started to suck again, is it possible to build up that much moister in the tank right away? I drive every single day so its not like the car sits there for weeks at a time? I duno.

BEAST
02-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Don't you guys remember that we talked about this a while ago. Some one was saying that in the winter time that they put less ethonol in the gas or something. Or maybe it was that they added more oxygen. But your cars mpg is sacrificed so that the engine can run better. I hope someone can back me up on what I just said, cuz it's kinda confusing.

JiP
02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>Don't you guys remember that we talked about this a while ago. Â*Some one was saying that in the winter time that they put less ethonol in the gas or something. Â*Or maybe it was that they added more oxygen. Â*But your cars mpg is sacrificed so that the engine can run better. Â*I hope someone can back me up on what I just said, cuz it's kinda confusing.</div>

Yep that was in my subject on bad gas mileage. I forget who said it but they do it so your car starts easier in the winter time. But try putting some dry gas or any water absorbing gas treatment in your tank it actually DOES imporive gas mileage, woth the extra $1.25.

GaLaNtKeV99
02-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Damn that 600 by kain is a little ridiculus, you do better than the civic hybrid which gives you about 35 mpg. Hell you r doin better then my bicycle! I guess i would have to see it to believe it. If i drove highway all the way i could probably hit (its a long shot) 400 mpg. but regular city day to day driving i get at most 250 mpg.

Kain
02-10-2003, 07:33 PM
600 divided by 17 is only about 35 mpg. I really don't think that's particularly unusual. People have questioned me about it, and I'm always glad to do some show and tell. But it's pretty consistant at within 50 of 600 year around. We don't really get the "winter blend" down here in GA since it never really gets that cold. They do change it a little, but not enough to notice. Heck, our '85 Minivan still gets almost 30 mpg w/ a carburator! My buddy's '87 Civic gets 37, but it's really small and 5 speed. Maybe GA has special migh MPG gas? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

GaLaNtKeV99
02-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Minivan, Civic ! Damn its definitely Georgia, guess im movin to Georgia, lol! Kain, you r a lucky driver.

redboy
02-11-2003, 04:46 PM
i recently took a trip to GA and got like 390 to 400 miles per gallon, but city wise cuz im high revin alot of the time i get more like 22. but a full tank can last me like a week and a day in the city or 5 hours of like drivin 100 mph....so if i dont rev up all the time at home then i think i can get really good gas milage....oh yeah i keep up on all my maintanances and stuff and have the 17's 225's to boot, cuz i know that big rims are really good on destroying your mpg...

IllestGalant
02-16-2003, 09:33 PM
he is using 94 octane. the higher the octane, the harder to burn the fuel, put your car on a dyno and see how much hp you get less than 87, ouch

cantbeatmy97
02-18-2003, 09:03 AM
cantbeatmy97
TGC Member

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most likely yur losing more gas is cause yur defroster runs on the a/c which wastes gas big time and also its winter so they switch gas over to more oxygen so yur car runs better in the cold they change this around oct in the spring time u get better gas cause they use more ethyl gas i lost bout 40 miles to the gallon due to the fact of them switching gas.also i never use my defroster or a/c . I had a/c but it needed a charge so ever since i really never had it i just roll the windows down and cruz on the highway thats my a/c

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 10:10 PM
how big is our gas tanks? are they 17 or 12? cause whenever i am on empty a full refill is about 12gallons...my gas gauge may be off if we have 16 or 17 gallon takes lol i always supspected it :wink:

GaLaNtKeV99
02-19-2003, 10:16 PM
when im empty it fills up to about 12- 14 gallons but im not sure. Ive been suspecting it as well.

JiP
02-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Gas tank is 16 according to the books...And when your warning light comes on you have about 2 gallons left in the tank, so filling up around 13ish gallons is about right. And I still only get 175miles per tank so all you people complaing about geting a mere 270mpg..try driving my car for a month!

rfpa1
02-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Well - I have 95 ES 2.4 16valve auto. Iam getting from 26.5 to 30 miles per galon.

I have been getting the following results.

1) No name brand gas - 23 miles per galon regular 26 mid grade
2) Gulf - 26 reg 28 mid grade
3) Mobil?Exxon/BP - 26 reg 28 mid
4) Sunoco - 27 to 29
5) Texaco - 27 to 29

Now in winter it decreases because I warm up the car for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning.

When I use Premium all seem to be around 29 to 31.

I drive 84 miles each way - speeds up to 70.

jluv97
02-20-2003, 08:05 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>270 lmao. Â*I Â*get 180 if i'm lucky and no one can figure it out.</div>

Your fuel mods are the culprit.

Nick VR4
02-20-2003, 08:24 AM
My tank holds 10 gallons cost to fill up is $63+

Oh and BTW
1 gallon [UK] = 1.20095 gallon [US,]

JiP
02-20-2003, 01:48 PM
270 lmao. I get 180 if i'm lucky and no one can figure it out.

Your fuel mods are the culprit.

I dont have any fuel mods. The car was bone stock when it started hapeningback in august. Actually the 60mm tb seemed to be helping things a tad i been getting 120miles perhalf tank thats about 20mpg. After half a tank I start to get 13mpg again, the only thing left is water in the gas tank cause every other part is in spec or has be replaced.

JiP
02-20-2003, 01:51 PM
My tank holds 10 gallons cost to fill up is $63+

Oh and BTW
1 gallon [UK] = 1.20095 gallon [US,]

Sweet jesus. My 13gal costs me $25 to fill up in NY city avrge is 94oct $1.88 a gal.

$63 is insane, id go electric or get myself a lil moped, OR siphen my neighbors gas out of his car https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif