PDA

View Full Version : AGX shocks my Galant look taller?

USMCSKYLINE
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I just wanted to ask , did I do something wrong?

I installed my new Tein springs I received yesterday and my car sits up really high now...it doesn't look like I have lowering springs. So far I only installed the back shocks but would that be it?

4g63lover
04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I didnt know they made AGX springs??

Serstylz2
04-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Its probably because your old struts were blown, and now that you have good struts its sitting at the proper height now with the springs

USMCSKYLINE
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
oops...fixed...no but I'm using Tein Springs and when I installed them it gave me the drop I was supposed to get. 1.7 up front & 1.3 on back. Now When I installed the agx shocks my back side is sitting really high...more than it did when it was stock. Kinda looks like I went 4x4!

4g63lover
04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
oops...fixed...no but I'm using Tein Springs and when I installed them it gave me the drop I was supposed to get. 1.7 up front & 1.3 on back. Now When I installed the agx shocks my back side is sitting really high...more than it did when it was stock. Kinda looks like I went 4x4!

did you unstrap the shock before you installed the spring onto it?

mko
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
do the front and then you can judge if its lowered or not

01galant01
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
That will happen since your switching from stock. Read this thread, a few ppl said that happened to them also.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=28536&highlight=installed+agx

USMCSKYLINE
04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
oh men that sucks...I did noticed however that when I drove my car the back did get low again...not as much as it was before but it did get low.

BGR
04-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I had SMA install my KYB & springs for $150 out the door on the Galant.

Superb Auto Repair Smog & Tire Center‎ on Florin did the struts and springs on my Sentra for $350 out the door with alignment.

03-Galant-ES
04-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I did mine for free then 60 buck alignment

qnz
04-10-2009, 07:00 PM
you old shocks were probably blown, that would also explain the bounciness. when you put fresh ones in, they are now sitting at the correct height

bronxbombr
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
I just happened to got my hands on some rear 2G Agx's if you need anything holla

galantofva
04-11-2009, 12:58 AM
the struts dont affect the ride height tho, atleast they shouldnt. its the springs that determine the height. thats why they make lowering springs and not lowering struts. are you sure that the struts are compressing and they arent stuck decompressed.

Kenjuro_2
04-11-2009, 02:21 AM
It happened to me. I used to hit the curb when parking at the local Starbucks, after I installed the AGX my bumper clears it no problem, also my wheels look smaller since the GAP is somewhat back.

6G72gearhead
04-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Unless the strut is seized it should not effect ride height, in fact there is no way it can effect it. My JIC mono tube dampers can be compressed by hand even though there is 300 ish psi of nitrogen pressure on the fluid.

The reason why many vehicles appear to be at a higher ride height after they have been worked on is because when you let the vehicle down after being up on a jack the tire has to move outward a small amount to compress the suspension. When the vehicle is lowered off a jack it will bind against the tires and not settle to actual ride height until it moves, which allows the tires to move outward that small amount to compress the suspension completely.

USMCSKYLINE
04-11-2009, 03:36 AM
I installed the front ones today and it looks tall, same way it did when I had the old springs. I gotta say though I don't bounce at all which is a big plus but if I knew I was gonna have the same ride height...I would have just left my the stock springs & shocks. I would have save myself all that money.

AVERAGE
04-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Give your suspension a chance to settle.

boostzealot
04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
sighs, the suspension doesnt need to settle, its not the suspension not being not fully compressed and its not the fact that you did anything wrong. its simply that the AGX's are valved completely different and better than the stockers and dont allow for your vehicle to make them compress as much. especially with the tein's. i had this same setup for over a year almost and it never came down from when i installed them. the AGX's and teins are a hell of a combination and work very well to aid the car's rotation in transitions and even long sweepers. the only way you will have a lowered look with AGX's is if you do something silly and cut your springs, blow all four of the shocks, or get the progress springs for the galant. if you can get used to the ride height and actually track the car, it wont bother you as much as it does now. or at least it didnt bother me after i saw how well the car handled with this combo. congrats on a good setup too btw.

BGR
04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Glad I never got the AGX's now.

03-Galant-ES
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
You say you just got tein springs. Where did you get them are they authentic because i'll show you before with my stock springs and struts and after with my teins and gr2s

my old sig:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/sig-1.jpg

New ride height of front:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2115.jpg

Street height
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2120-1.jpg

Wheel Gaps after being jacked up and u can see what it looks like after they sat from my sig pics:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2134.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2163.jpg

If its heigher then that then your AGXs are dialed in wrong or your springs may not be authentic. How big were the springs next to your stock ones?

BGR
04-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I think the main issue was that its' a combo of the AGX struts and Tein springs.
Yours are GR2 struts and Tein springs, quite different I suppose.

I have GR2's on both my cars and they're great.

864Galant
04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
i agree w/ 03-Galant, i have the AGX/Tein combo and my ride lowered nicely.. i think it looks great, idk why others didn't have the same experience... mine did settle and lower a bit over time as opposed to right after installation.

silver01g
04-17-2009, 02:22 AM
thats why i got coilovers, less to worry about.

boostzealot
04-17-2009, 04:54 AM
there and that should end the thread really. if you want the ride height to be lower than you are right now, wait for the teins to settle a little bit and then judge. if you still arent happy then you must consider the reason for the AGX purchase and what they are best used for...handling. but if you just want the ride height then you should purchase a set of coilovers that are worth a damn. i.e. Ksports. the megans are not as good as the Ksports but they will provide you with the ride height you may desire. just dont go with some stupid sleeve type coilover like ground control or the like, they fail.

lonestar22
04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
i did a galant at work the other day. it was parked next to mine at the shop before i worked on it and the front was taller than my car and the rear was lower than my car even though mines lowered and its on stock suspension. after we did the shocks and struts on it the front was the same height but the rear was now taller than my car. ive seen it on a lot of stock galants around town where the rears will be very low and the fronts still high up.

Serstylz2
04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
i had mine installed on tuesday and it's definitely taller now, 3 finger gap in front and 2 in back, before when i was stock blown struts in front and GR-2s in the rear, i had 2 finger in front and 1 in back. The bounciness is somewhat better, handles better, i still have to read an official technical book to know how these settings work, I'm 2 all around and it could be less bouncy of a ride in my opinion. P.S I am on Progress springs

lonestar22
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
me and silver01g used to both have tein s.tech setup. i had gr2s and he had incredibly blown stock struts. last time i went to houston we had the exact same wheel and tire sizes, yet his car had almost no finger gaps compared to mine.

heres a pic for reference
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/lonestar22/TGC%20Houston%206%2030/HoustonTripp045.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/lonestar22/TGC%20Houston%206%2030/HoustonTripp044.jpg