PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking , Screeching sound ????

PPTgalant83
02-10-2003, 09:50 AM
ABout 75% of the time i start the car in the moring i hear a screeching sound , coming from the engine, Could the problem be Loose belts, belts arent properly tightened? And if thats the problem dose anybody know how much they charge to tighten belts? thanks. :shock:

Nick VR4
02-10-2003, 09:57 AM
yeap its a loose belt
U could try WD40 on it first as it may be just damp on the belt belt causing it to slip

RollinBishiStyle
02-10-2003, 10:01 AM
There is a sounds when i start my car in the morning too but its more of a grumble if that makes any since, there is no vibration and when i hit the gas it stops, it only does it when im idle, and it only lasts a couple of minutes. Any idea? :?:

Gilhuly
02-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Your Serpentine belt is a little loose and when it is cold it is more likely to slip/squeel. As it slips friction is created warming/softening the belt and it stops slipping because everything is expanding (pulleys, belt). This is going to wear it out prematurely, though. There is a tensioner you can adjust, though I've never had to touch mine. One of the wheels that the belt rides on is adjustable for removing the belt and creating tension.