PDA

View Full Version : Think my struts are going bad?

kglenn
04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I think my struts are going bad because my car is starting to creak when I go over speed bumps. Any suggestions because I was wanting to lower my car anyways. Any Ideas?

M-Rod
04-16-2009, 06:43 PM
For starters, I would suggest resizing the size of your signature before catching some heat about it being too big.

As far as the suspension goes, this has been covered hundreds of times. Search and you shall find. Are you looking for a quality entry drop spending about $400 or are you looking into full coilovers in the $900 price range?

kglenn
04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Im not a hundred percent sure but probally getting coil over springs.

showtime
04-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Im not a hundred percent sure but probally getting coil over springs.

coilovers or springs? they are different

pinoyesv6
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
how are your mounts? how many miles on the car/struts?

kglenn
04-16-2009, 09:16 PM
theres about 105000 miles on it

pinoyesv6
04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
with that many miles i'd change them anyways.

amdrocks
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
my right front strut makes that creaking sound too.. but the mechanic said as long as it doesn't get too bad it should be safe.. *shrugz*

01blackG
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
It may not even be the strut. It could be rubber bushings through out the suspension also. But Pinoyesv6 said, with that many miles it is just a good idea to replace the struts anyways.

RedGalant2k1
04-17-2009, 08:06 PM
my right front strut makes that creaking sound too.. but the mechanic said as long as it doesn't get too bad it should be safe.. *shrugz*

That 'mechanic' sounds like a idiot. Anything over 50,000 miles should have new struts installed (unless it is airmatic or electronic suspensions). To say something like "if it doesn't get too bad" just screams a HUGE lack of understanding on suspension dynamics and wear. Find a different mechanic.

kglenn
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
i was thinking of just replacing the suspension all together because sometime later on I want my car lowered so im not sure what to do as of now though.

polishmafia
04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
That 'mechanic' sounds like a idiot. Anything over 50,000 miles should have new struts installed (unless it is airmatic or electronic suspensions). To say something like "if it doesn't get too bad" just screams a HUGE lack of understanding on suspension dynamics and wear. Find a different mechanic.

Dave, don't you love the "should be" ?

This mechanic doesn't know what hes talking about.

OP - Save some money, get an aftermarket setup. Its simple to do. Its all just nuts and bolts.

RedGalant2k1
04-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Dave, don't you love the "should be" ?

This mechanic doesn't know what hes talking about.

OP - Save some money, get an aftermarket setup. Its simple to do. Its all just nuts and bolts.

You aren't kidding...the safety and ride control is effectively shot even as early as 30,000 miles. I know from first hand experience of driving a 2 different 3-series BMW's (one with new struts), and both at nearly the exact same mileage. The car with new struts handled bumps, turns, acceleration and braking SO MUCH BETTER than the car lacking new struts.

It was even more of a stand out with the Dodge Caravans and Nissan Xterra's we'd also driven. Seriously, you shouldn't be putting it off, if you all here took the same ride and drive experience's I have you'd agree and would put new struts regardless of lowering the car in asap.

And yes...I love the 'should be', and I love backyard mechanics and people who think they know about tires....it just perturbs me to no end.

2000galantes
06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
it may be bad motor mounts. Check those out

polishmafia
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
^^ Your first post and you are bumping an old thread? Post up in the new members forum and tell us about yourself. Welcome to TGC.

OrlandoOrtiz
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
My Galant SS was making some crazy creaking sounds, plus some blam-blam-blam sounds. I thought my struts were going bad, but turns out the bushing was worn and loose. Replaced it, and now it's minty fresh again.

youngin3
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Galant SS?

My motor mounts are shot too, and I thought it was my struts at first. I have yet to replace them too. It's just annoying, but it's not like the motor is gonna fall out of the car... :)