PDA

View Full Version : Headunits

732Galant
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I am looking to purchase an aftermarket cd player to throw in my 8g. I am pretty sure I have it down right, but just wanted to double check the process of installing. This is what I am assuming.

1. Take off trim piece on dash (woodgrain thing)
2. Disconnect stock radio
3. Plug aftermarket harness onto stock harness
4. Plug antenna in
5. Secure aftermarket head unit
6. Replace dash trim

Correct?

BGR
04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
After removing the trim that covers the radio and AC control, you have to remove the AC first and then look all the way in the back (flashlight helps) and you'll see that the stock H.U. is secured to the back of the firewall with a screw. This screw is attached to the H.U.'s bracket. Mine only had one screw on the left bracket. Once you remove this screw (don't drop it - I dropped mine, and I had to use one of the 4 golden-colored screws that attach the AC unit) the H.U. will come out.

Total time for install should take no more than 10 minutes.

732Galant
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response, I recently had my stock headunit out because for whatever reason and I noticed there was an aftermarket one already in there. I assumed this because the stock one was just sitting in there. Not bolted to anything. So I am thinking I just pull off the trim and not worry about the AC. I literally just unplugged the headunit the other day and it came right out. Other than that I should be able to just plug the harnesses together and be good right?

BGR
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Yep. As long as you have the Mitsubishi aftermarket wiring harness for the H.U., you just plug that into the stock wiring harness and then the radio antenna and you're all set.

You may want to ground the aftermarket H.U. if it has a separate ground wire.

732Galant
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Sweet sounds like I should be able to do this in like 20 mins. Thanks!