PDA

View Full Version : Body Kit Questions

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm getting a cyber 2 body kit soon and I'm looking to get the kit to match the car.

I can install the kit myself, so that saves me a lot of money.. But how much will it cost to get the bumpers and skirts to match the factory blue and repaint my roof and a little more small touch-up areas?

Nothing fancy, just to get it done.

03-Galant-ES
04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm getting a cyber 2 body kit soon and I'm looking to get the kit to match the car.

I can install the kit myself, so that saves me a lot of money.. But how much will it cost to get the bumpers and skirts to match the factory blue and repaint my roof and a little more small touch-up areas?

Nothing fancy, just to get it done.

Depends on the shop and if you do your own prep. As an example my old boss(I worked at a body shop) quoted a guy at 200 for a spoiler for prep and paint.

Shop around ask a few shops and do your own prep to save money.

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Depends on the shop and if you do your own prep. As an example my old boss(I worked at a body shop) quoted a guy at 200 for a spoiler for prep and paint.

Shop around ask a few shops and do your own prep to save money.

Ok, not a dumber question..

How do I do the prep?

99 galant
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I would assume he means the install, sanding, primer that type of stuff. But I'm not 100% positive. I would shop around. With the economy, get some quotes but don't haggle too much to where they mess up your stuff.

03-Galant-ES
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Ok, not a dumber question..

How do I do the prep?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=27526

educate yourself

The main thing you want to pay attention to is possibly the sanding with 400 grit then primer then dry then sand with 600 grit. If you are unsure of your capabilities to do this well let the pros do it they do it like 10 times or more a day on bumpers and dents.

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
How much do the pros charge (on average)?

03-Galant-ES
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
How much do the pros charge (on average)?

Depends on the shop ask around just call and be like what do you charge for prep and paint and name the parts u need done it will probably cost more then 2x what the kit cost you just for a heads up

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
The prep would cost more than the kit?

03-Galant-ES
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
No prep and paint

Automotive paint is expensive.

Prep is like regular shop work so they charge for however much work needs to be done.

shops often look to make money so do the work yourself if u have the time just take your time and sand throughout. If you arent comfortable doing it then like I said get quotes but a 300$ kit on ebay isnt the end of it the end of it if it was a lot more people would have kits

Such as myself. I will be getting something soon enough since I am doing work on it already

IceDouTGaLanT
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Most shops charge $150-200 for front bumper same with back & sides.

Front/Rear & sides prob run you 500-600

Reelax
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
most body kits for the galant do not fit perfect or even well right out of the box (especially the aftermarket kits available in the US, which are often copies of copies of JDM kits). prep could also include bondo and posible fitting tweaks including hacking and additional fiberglass repair. depending on how well the kit is made and how well it fits, prep, install and paint could run anywhere from a few hundred on the low side for a near perfect kit, to over $1000 for a kit that needs lots of work done. usually cheaper kits require more work done to make them look nice, but this not always the case. u will not actually know how much work a kit needs until you test fit it.

silver01g
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
my paint guy charged me $150 for repainting my front VRG bumper.

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Hm..

Well I'm getting 2 free body kits.. All I gotta do it pay the shipping for them.

And since theyre putting them in the same box all I pay for both kits is $175.

I'll probably end up selling one on GF (SINCE I CAN'T SELL HERE YET) for only 450 shipped..

That way I'll have enough for the paint

Reelax
04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
one more thing... since the majority of kits available in the US are copies of JDM aftermarket kits, they are made to fit JDM headlights (and JDM grill if the kit does not replace it). the CYBER 2 kit is actually a copy of the INITIAL V kit from japan. there are some rare versions of this kit that were made in USDM fitament for use w/ the USDM headlights (and grill). but if the kit is in fact JDM fitament, and u want to keep you USDM headlights, you will have gaps that you will have to address either w/ additional fg or just living w/ the gaps... or u can convert to JDM headlights.

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm actually gonna end up buying one of the grills like Pete (G-spot) has.

We've already talked about pricing and whatnot.

Reelax
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm actually gonna end up buying one of the grills like Pete (G-spot) has.

We've already talked about pricing and whatnot.

unless we r talking about the rare version of the cyber 2 that doesn't have the "bat ears" between the headlights, u will not be able to use any grill unless you cut those bat ears off and fill in the resulting holes w/ fiberglass. usually, the cyber 2 just needs grill mesh attached between the bat ears as a grill.

Bloody Arro
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product/19932/Vis_Racing_99_00_01_02_03_Mitsubishi_Galant_4dr_Cy ber_2_Body_Kit.html
That's the one I'm getting.
Will the grill fit it without any modifications to it?

Reelax
04-23-2009, 05:34 AM
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product/19932/Vis_Racing_99_00_01_02_03_Mitsubishi_Galant_4dr_Cy ber_2_Body_Kit.html
That's the one I'm getting.
Will the grill fit it without any modifications to it?

that particular kit (judging from the pictures) seems to be USDM fitament front bumper and does not have the "bat ears" of the original INITIAL V (cyber 2) upper grill replacement. since the site says that the kit is made by VIS, i would call VIS for further details.

Bloody Arro
04-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Alright. Thanks