PDA

View Full Version : Newbish-ish

evil mechanic
04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I just found this website lastnight and it has alot of useful info on it. I got a 03 Galant on friday for $19.75 :D no lie lol. Im a mechanic and someone had their ES towed in yesterday with a broken timing belt (150k miles and no belt change ever!!) and we told the customer that there is a 50% chance they might have bent a few valves. He decided he was just going to buy a new car and i bought it off him for the diagnostics fee.

Just a little bit of background. Ive been a auto tech for 9 years now on paper and about 13 all together. first car i built was a turbo/nitrous Paseo. ive built numerous VW big turbo 1.8t's, owned a 05 Evo 8 with a healthy amount of mods and a 98 TSI pretty well molested that one too. At first my plan was to get this ES running again and sell it for $3k but now that i see the evo 7, 8 and 9 motors drop in, and i can convert the slushbox to a manny, i might just make this my next project.

future plans if i keep the car are

evo 8 motor
5 spd swap
evo brake swap w/ rear rotor convert

just curious has anyone ever thought about stealing the awd system, fuel tank and subframe with suspension components and fitting them on the galant? im just wondering how far fetched that idea is.

youngin3
04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
The AWD swap is being done by a member here at the moment actually. It would take a lot of fabbing though.

Welcomg to TGC by the way!

The timing belt situation is how I got my most recent vehicle purchase also actually. It's not as new as a Galant, but it is still a car. :)

evil mechanic
04-25-2009, 12:20 PM
The AWD swap is being done by a member here at the moment actually. It would take a lot of fabbing though.

Welcomg to TGC by the way!

The timing belt situation is how I got my most recent vehicle purchase also actually. It's not as new as a Galant, but it is still a car. :)

Thanks man!

Its amazing how people will quickly throw away a car that needs $300 worth of work and instead take on a car payment every month lol. what did you end up with?

hmmm. maybe i'll just stick with the fwd then. i dont really want to do a buttload of fabbing. atleast not at the moment.

youngin3
04-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks man!

Its amazing how people will quickly throw away a car that needs $300 worth of work and instead take on a car payment every month lol. what did you end up with?

hmmm. maybe i'll just stick with the fwd then. i dont really want to do a buttload of fabbing. atleast not at the moment.

I paid $100 for the car, and $35 for a timing belt. I didn't have to pay for any labor because I can do everything myself at work.

It's a 1991 Mazda 626 DX. It has the 2.2 i4 NA with a 5spd.

I just got it for the fun of it and for 150 bucks, why not?

kolio
04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks man!

nice buy! where in MD are you located? i get parts on the cheap so let me know if you need stuff

Galanttuner10
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Welcome and nice pick up.. the awd is being done by a member in ny so hes not too far from you and he has the 2.4 block with the evo head and turbo setup very nice car.. if you have the car at least running you should come to the corona park meet in NY on june 27th as it is a large meet and you can meet many of us in the area

Chris

platano
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
$19.75....YEAH, now thats one hell of a deal.

welcome to the forums and i hope to see a nice build thread from you one day if you do decide to build the Galant.

BayAreaGalant
04-25-2009, 03:28 PM
$19.75..... Wow.... Good Steal..... I blow more in a week on gas..... Welcome!

ricky_db
04-25-2009, 06:17 PM
thats cheaper than a sham wow!

Jeffylou87
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Awesome deal dude! Welcome to TGC!

youngin3
04-26-2009, 03:29 AM
thats cheaper than a sham wow!

Fucking crack up...

evil mechanic
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
nice buy! where in MD are you located? i get parts on the cheap so let me know if you need stuff

Thanks man. what kind of parts are we talkin about? Like aftermarket goodies, or oem stuff?

I live in Hamilton btw. what part of B-more are you from?

evil mechanic
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Welcome and nice pick up.. the awd is being done by a member in ny so hes not too far from you and he has the 2.4 block with the evo head and turbo setup very nice car.. if you have the car at least running you should come to the corona park meet in NY on june 27th as it is a large meet and you can meet many of us in the area

Chris

I doubt i'll be able to make it to the meet. I have a pregnant fiancee that requires alot of attention lol. Thanks tho.

evil mechanic
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
ohh and i pulled the timinmg cover off and found that both the balance shaft belt, and the timing belt were broke. im going to assume the balance shaft belt has been broken for some time and the guy just ignored it because all of the pullies spin freely. IM going to try to work on it next week and get it all back together. if it runs then im going to try and trade the motor and auto trans to a junkyard i deal with for a 5spd and maybe the rear brake stuff i need.

kolio
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks man. what kind of parts are we talkin about? Like aftermarket goodies, or oem stuff?

I live in Hamilton btw. what part of B-more are you from?

oem stuff i wish aftermarket

and i'm in greektown/canton

kolio
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
ohh and i pulled the timinmg cover off and found that both the balance shaft belt, and the timing belt were broke. im going to assume the balance shaft belt has been broken for some time and the guy just ignored it because all of the pullies spin freely. IM going to try to work on it next week and get it all back together. if it runs then im going to try and trade the motor and auto trans to a junkyard i deal with for a 5spd and maybe the rear brake stuff i need.

usually when the balance shaft belt breaks it takes the timing belt out when it does.

Galante
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Welcome man!

evil mechanic
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
ok got it all back together. it has a crappy idle, but runs good while driving. seems like the #4 cyl has a bent intake valve. sooooooooo i need to decide what im gonna do with this car!!

kolio
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
ok got it all back together. it has a crappy idle, but runs good while driving. seems like the #4 cyl has a bent intake valve. sooooooooo i need to decide what im gonna do with this car!!

evo swap!

or you can go to a yard and grab a new head for cheap.

SleekGTZ
04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome!
That's a great deal on the car for less than 20 bucks.

skrap
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
WELCOME!!!!!!

hey if you dont wanna do the work to it sell it to me ill put the wrench time in for sure!!!!!!! lol

VegasMatt
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the site.