PDA

View Full Version : My next big project.

jmath99V6
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I've been on this forum for a couple years now and I always feel like a chump b/c I'll read about what I could do with my 8g but I've never actually done anything. Well, now I am. I smashed the front end pretty good the other day in an accident, and I figure, since I gotta take of the hood, bumper and radiator support, why not go ahead and do the tranny and 6g74 swap while i'm at it. I sarted disassembling the g and bought a 86 plymouth reliant, so I have a beater/motivation to get the g back up and running. Just want some input on the order i'm going to do this.
1. remove damaged bumper and hood
2. remove damaged radiator support
3. pull engine
4. pull transmission/passenger axle
5. install 5spd/passenger axle
6. install 3.5 6G74
7. exhaust
8. install radiator support
I'm still undecided about the body, not sure if im gonna go stock or get a body kit and i gotta decide on a color. What do you guys think.

99 galant
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Is the 6G74 a plug and play in our car?

SPD_FRK
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you will have a great project ahead of you man. It will be easy as long as you follow the guides people have posted. That 5spd swap will be my first mod after getting the car back on the road. You will definitely feel a difference with the motor and trans swap...even untunned or modified. If I remember corrctly boostzealot got around 30hp, and 50 ft/lbs of torque increase...if not more.

Is the 6G74 a plug and play in our car?
It is pretty much a plug and play motor. You can run all of your accesories on the 74 motor from the 72, the only thing to keep is the stock ECU. The stock ECU apparently has a more "aggresive" tune for the 74 motor and it will run great

bglocc
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I've been trying to find out more on this swap, I think one member on the boards has already done it. It's been done in a 3kgt and I believe an Eclipse.

3kgt ('http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/6G74swap.html')

club3g ('http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclipse-gt-gts-specific/70489-3-5-6g74-swap-discussion.html')

VegasMatt
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Injectors?

jmath99V6
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
i guess i should. I've had trouble with the infamous "mystery gurggle" sound so I'm thinking i should go ahead and put in a walbro fuel pump and bigger injectors, but would i need an e-manage?

VegasMatt
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Ask BJ what he used for injectors, I am sure you can search to find the answer on this site or MP.

SPD_FRK
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Injectors?

I think they are using the Diamante injectors..they should be something like 270cc versus the stock G72 230cc.

bglocc
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
So do you have everything needed for this swap already, or are you just doing the swap and learning as you go? I ask because I curious on how much different this swap is compared to a 13tt swap (pricing, parts, etc.).

VegasMatt
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Didnt read through the whole thing so I am not sure what info is in there but here is a start. Search 6g74 and see what comes up.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=21175&highlight=6g74

SPD_FRK
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
So do you have everything needed for this swap already, or are you just doing the swap and learning as you go? I ask because I curious on how much different this swap is compared to a 13tt swap (pricing, parts, etc.).
Maybe I am wrong here, but isn't the 13tt the 2g Eclipse motor? (4cyl), or is it the 3000Gt twin tubo version of the 6G72?

bglocc
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks Matt, sorry for not searching, I was being lazy.

Maybe I am wrong here, but isn't the 13tt the 2g Eclipse motor? (4cyl), or is it the 3000Gt twin tubo version of the 6G72?

6a13tt is the twin turbo engine for the j-spec galant (vr4), a direct swap for v6 8G. Biggest issue was the tranny, would have to mate it with a tranny from a Mitsu FTO, very hard to find. After searching, I found that someone actually did mate it to a 3g Eclipse tranny..... but I'll save that cause I don't want to get off topic.

SPD_FRK
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Ahh ok...too many motors to keep track of lol.

My guess is you would probably spend more money doing the 13tt swap because of the nature of the engine/tranny issue. You might get lucky and find one cheap though. I would just stick with the 74 and manual swap though. Parts are widely more available which means quicker assembly/repair times if things go wrong...plus the 74 if you boost it would still be a killer setup under the hood.

jmath99V6
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm picking up the 5 spd. this weekend. I'm going on a cross-country raodtrip next month so i think i'll wait to get the engine when i get back. There's a salvage yard in my area that has 3 of them right now for decent prices with warranties so hopefully they'll still have them once i get back.

wright06jhs
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
My 2000 Auto-stick eclipse is 6G74 swapped. Im running the Stock Eclipse ECU, and 6G72 injectors. Most of the acc. stuff is used from the 6G72 and my car has been running great and getting about the same gas mileage as the 6G72.

You Can feel the difference in power the way it is and its faster and runs better then the 6g72 stock, but i would suugest in lookinng to get a tune and using the 6G74 injectors. It will give the full potential of the 6G74
If yuor going 5spd, you will need to shave some off the block for the passenger axle bracket, or if im not mistaken you can use the axle bracket from the newer VRX edition of the diamante.

beam514
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
pull the 6g72 and auto trans at the same time

assemble 6g74 + clutch + manual transmission outside of car
put the whole thing back in the car

fatal1
04-29-2009, 04:40 AM
pull the 6g72 and auto trans at the same time

assemble 6g74 + clutch + manual transmission outside of car
put the whole thing back in the car

hit the nail on the head...why go through all the extra labor if theres no need to

the rest of the plans sound good in whichever order. since they will all need to be completed before the car is good to go anyway. with the 74 though you will need headers to clear the oil pan which is lower then the 72's i know rpws work not sure of others, or have modified stock manifolds/downpipe.

being you were in an accident i would check with a bodyshop and have the frame scaled/ measured and corrected if anything is off

if your truly considering going this route definately contact boostedzealot for any technical questions, he has done it and can give a lot of good input

i would also advise against a body kit unless you wont be using the car as a DD. fiberglass is a pain to maintain there are lip options or jdm conversions etc available as well which can be had in plastic

jmath99V6
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm thinking it won't be my daily driver. (the reliant i bought only has 55k on it) I was looking at the manual and it said something about having the a/c system decompressed by a technician before pulling the engine. anybody know anything abou this?

SPD_FRK
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking it won't be my daily driver. (the reliant i bought only has 55k on it) I was looking at the manual and it said something about having the a/c system decompressed by a technician before pulling the engine. anybody know anything abou this?

You are suppose to have it done at a mechanic shop so it is filtered I guess. All of the engine swaps I have done we just bleed the system into the air, don't breath the stuff in though.

jmath99V6
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I started diassembly over the weekend. I'm gonna start a thread in the project section with pictures etc.

jmath99V6
05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
btw, to those who have gone 5 spd, which clutch kit would you recommend and where did you get it?

boostzealot
05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
well at first i went with a stock replacement clutch and flywheel. they served me well until i began pushing the car and trying to see what it could do. then after the rebuild and other various upgrades i added a SPEC stage 2 clutch and a fidanza lightweight flywheel for better holding power and quicker revs. so like i was saying, the stock setup will do fine in daily driving conditions but if you plan to make more power then the stage 2 setup will make a better choice in the long run.