PDA

View Full Version : HID Wiring Set Up HELP!

es_fact
04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a bit of a problem... at least I think I do.

When I did my HID's, they worked and that was fine with me, but now i want them to only turn on as the night lights. I have my Day times relayed so i can shut off all lighting, but what i want is to have everything off on the first setting. Only my parking lights on the second setting, and finally my headlights at the 3rd setting.

The way I have them now, they are all off at the first setting, and then everything comes on on the second, leaving no difference between the 2nd and 3rd lighting setting.

then i plan on doing my independent fogs.. but thats off topic..HELP ME!

Reelax
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
your 8G has daytime running lights?

es_fact
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
yes.. well it did.

It's Canadian. You need'em to pass safety lol

Reelax
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
oic. do you not want your HID on as DRL's?

es_fact
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
nope... I want to be able to control them... i only want them on as the last setting on my little light.. knob.. stick thing.. lol I also want my parking to come on at the second setting.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
i was hopin' you'd have my answer relax lol

Another problem is that if I were to get those ebay lights.. which Im' on the verge of doing so... I want to wire the LEDs to the turn signal, and the HALO to the parking light... so that i could have the halo on my fogs, and all the halos basiclly on at the same time with out any lights being on...

know what i mean?

zknight01GTZ
04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
if you look in the "ebay projector headlights" thread BGR posted pics and directions on wiring the turn signals to the leds and halos to the parking lights

es_fact
04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
if you look in the "ebay projector headlights" thread BGR posted pics and directions on wiring the turn signals to the leds and halos to the parking lights

yeah that i know how to do... the problem comes when I DONT want my head lights to turn on at the 1st or 2nd position on the knob... but the 3rd...

BGR
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I believe ours is the same way. 1st setting is off. 2nd settings is parking lights. 3rd setting is all lights (low beam+parking lights) - then you can flip push the lever forward for high beams/back to turn high beams off. You can also use your fog lights with the 3rd setting, but only with the low beams on.

I once had HID ballasts that connected directly to the battery and they were for a single filament H4 bulb. Since this was a single filament bulb, when I turned on the lights, this H4 HID light would work in either the low beam setting or the high beam setting. Long story short, I removed the low beam fuse and in doing so... you know how people want to have their fog lights on with their parking lights only? Well, removing the low beam fuse made this possible. When I wanted to use the HID lights for night time driving, I flipped the high beam lever to on. Only downside to this was the annoying blue light on the dash (which I guess I could have removed the light from the dashboard).

This scenario may work for what you're asking for, but only if your headlights "originally" had a high/low bulb, like the stock USDM Galant. I don't think this will work with the two bulb setup like the JDM or Ebay projector lights - as these have separate wires for the highs and the lows.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I believe ours is the same way. 1st setting is off. 2nd settings is parking lights. 3rd setting is all lights (low beam+parking lights) - then you can flip push the lever forward for high beams/back to turn high beams off. You can also use your fog lights with the 3rd setting, but only with the low beams on.

I once had HID ballasts that connected directly to the battery and they were for a single filament H4 bulb. Since this was a single filament bulb, when I turned on the lights, this H4 HID light would work in either the low beam setting or the high beam setting. Long story short, I removed the low beam fuse and in doing so... you know how people want to have their fog lights on with their parking lights only? Well, removing the low beam fuse made this possible. When I wanted to use the HID lights for night time driving, I flipped the high beam lever to on. Only downside to this was the annoying blue light on the dash (which I guess I could have removed the light from the dashboard).

This scenario may work for what you're asking for, but only if your headlights "originally" had a high/low bulb, like the stock USDM Galant. I don't think this will work with the two bulb setup like the JDM or Ebay projector lights - as these have separate wires for the highs and the lows.

that is exactly what i want.. lol... now I don't have Highbeams... at all lol.. when i try to activate them.. nothing happens ( apprt from my fogs turning off) I'll try it... maybe i can have it all done the way you mentioned it.. thanks alot.. i'll post tonight after itry this :)

BGR
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I want to wire the LEDs to the turn signal, and the HALO to the parking light... so that i could have the halo on my fogs, and all the halos basiclly on at the same time with out any lights being on...

know what i mean?

The first part is how I have my Ebay projector's wired. 3 verticle LED's are wired to the turn signal, and the halos are wired to the parking lights.

If your fog light's halo's have a separate wire to "ignite" the halos, then you could just wire the halo wires to the parking lights as well. The result would look like this:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/BishopLord/TGC/lights2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/BishopLord/TGC/lights.jpg

BGR
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
that is exactly what i want.. lol... now I don't have Highbeams... at all lol.. when i try to activate them.. nothing happens ( apprt from my fogs turning off) I'll try it... maybe i can have it all done the way you mentioned it.. thanks alot.. i'll post tonight after itry this :)

Perhaps you burned out your high beam fuses? The reason I found out why my old HID ballast and single filament H4 HID bulb worked with both the low and high beams was that I accidentally blew out the low beam fuses. It was dark and I was on my way home and I was about to drive home using only the fog lights when I bumped the high beam switch by mistake and all of a sudden the HID lights turned back on.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
The first part is how I have my Ebay projector's wired. 3 verticle LED's are wired to the turn signal, and the halos are wired to the parking lights.

If your fog light's halo's have a separate wire to "ignite" the halos, then you could just wire the halo wires to the parking lights as well. The result would look like this:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/BishopLord/TGC/lights2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/BishopLord/TGC/lights.jpg

yeah that's already done... I just dont have a way to ONLY have parking lights on... my hids come on right away. :(

Perhaps you burned out your high beam fuses? The reason I found out why my old HID ballast and single filament H4 HID bulb worked with both the low and high beams was that I accidentally blew out the low beam fuses. It was dark and I was on my way home and I was about to drive home using only the fog lights when I bumped the high beam switch by mistake and all of a sudden the HID lights turned back on.

no.. the reason my Hi dont work is because I don't have the bulbs for them.. those little penut sized bulbs are not in... i just tried the fuse idea.. and no.. well my HID's do not have anything to do with my high beams.. so when i took out the fuse.. i hit the lever.. and nothing... Any more ideas? lol.. could it be possible that this is happening because I don't use my stock harness? I have a relay harness installed to bypass my day time running lights.. could this be the problem?

es_fact
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Also BRG, you keep referring to a single filament h4 bulb, what exactly is this? and what is the difference between this and well the other kind? I got DDM 55W H4, are these not single filament?

BGR
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
This is the type of bulb I had and what I call a single filament H4 HID bulb, as it worked only as a low (or it would also work if you switched on the high beam switch, but doing so didn't raise the height of the actual beam pattern):
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51913997/HID_Bulb_H11_H1_H3_H4_HB4_HB5_9004_9005_9006_9007_ 9008_H7_H8_H9_H10_H11_D2C_D2S_H3C_All_Bulb_Size_Av ailable.jpg

All the new H4 HID bulbs are dual hi/lo and look like this:
http://www.xenonlink.com/images/h4hbulb.jpg

Those early model H4 single filament bulbs were too long and didn't have a cover over them to reduce the glare for the oncoming traffic Like this one (http://www.china-hid-lights.com/bulb-11.html)
The newer hi/lo H4 bulbs were shorter and didn't need a cover, and of course, had a halogen bulb for the high beam (indicated by the blue bulb in the pic above).

I'm not familiar with DDM kits. If yours is a hi/lo H4 kit, then it might look similar to 2nd pic above.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
This is the type of bulb I had and what I call a single filament H4 HID bulb, as it worked only as a low (or it would also work if you switched on the high beam switch, but doing so didn't raise the height of the actual beam pattern):
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51913997/HID_Bulb_H11_H1_H3_H4_HB4_HB5_9004_9005_9006_9007_ 9008_H7_H8_H9_H10_H11_D2C_D2S_H3C_All_Bulb_Size_Av ailable.jpg

All the new H4 HID bulbs are dual hi/lo and look like this:
http://www.xenonlink.com/images/h4hbulb.jpg

Those early model H4 single filament bulbs were too long and didn't have a cover over them to reduce the glare for the oncoming traffic Like this one (http://www.china-hid-lights.com/bulb-11.html)
The newer hi/lo H4 bulbs were shorter and didn't need a cover, and of course, had a halogen bulb for the high beam (indicated by the blue bulb in the pic above).

I'm not familiar with DDM kits. If yours is a hi/lo H4 kit, then it might look similar to 2nd pic above.

no sir.. my bulbs do not have the hi beam halogen bulb... it's just one bulb that powers my low beam and thats it :)

BGR
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't think removing the fuse will work in your case since you have non-USDM headlights.

You're going to have to find a way to move the wires from your high beam over to the HID low beam light. So basically, when you turn on the lights (low beam+parking lights) only your parking lights will turn on. Now that the high beam wires are being used on the HID light, when you flip the switch to high beam, your HID's should turn on. You'll end up sacraficing the option to have both high and low beams, but it should take care of look you're trying to achieve.

The same setup pertains to the Ebay projectors. Those headlights have a special wiring harness that splits the low and high beams into two separate bulbs. It's quite confusing and would be easier to show you. I haven't gotten around to making the tutorial yet. But when I do, I'll be able to have my fog lights (amber) on with just the parking lights and halos. When I hit the high beam switch, the HID's will turn on (and I won't have any lights in the high beam area because I'll use the high beam wiring harness to ignite the HID bulb).

es_fact
04-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I have USDM heads.

At least I think so lol... I've never bought any, and I'm the second owner of this car. Sure i got into a accident but the heads i have on now came with a front clip straight from NY

BGR
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
well my HID's do not have anything to do with my high beams.. so when i took out the fuse.. i hit the lever.. and nothing... Any more ideas? lol.. could it be possible that this is happening because I don't use my stock harness? I have a relay harness installed to bypass my day time running lights.. could this be the problem?

Just seen this post.

I'm not that savy with relays, so I can't give you an answer on that. But like I explained in the reply above, if you were to somehow use the high beam wire to ignite the HID light (and just remove the low beam wire entirely), then when you hit your high beams, your HID's will turn on.

You said that when you turn on your lights, both the parking lights and low beams (or in this case, your HID's) turn on, correct? Give this a shot... disconnect the wire that you have going to your HID's and then turn on your lights. You should just have parking lights on. Ok. Ah damn, you said you don't have the high beams connected. Well, if you did, my next suggestion would be to flip the switch to high beams and see if your highs turned on. If yes, then I would have suggested that you use those high beam wires to ignite the HID's, so that when you turn on your lights, only the parking lights would be on and when you hit the high beam switch, the HIDs would activate.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
lmao.. i see sorry... I have USDM head.. or cars are exactly the same, except for the one fact that i run on KM/H AND our cars always have daytime running lights.

BGR
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I have USDM heads.

At least I think so lol... I've never bought any, and I'm the second owner of this car. Sure i got into a accident but the heads i have on now came with a front clip straight from NY

If the picture in your Garage photo album area is correct, that is USDM.

I'm not sure how your wiring is setup so I'll just be going round in circles making suggestions. All I know is that when I had stock USDM headlights and I had a single filament H4 HID bulb, all I had to do was remove the low beam fuse and the HID still worked if I flipped the switch to high beam. I don't know much about relays or how to wire them, so if that is what you're using, sorry, I can't help ya on that.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
If the picture in your Garage photo album area is correct, that is USDM.

I'm not sure how your wiring is setup so I'll just be going round in circles making suggestions. All I know is that when I had stock USDM headlights and I had a single filament H4 HID bulb, all I had to do was remove the low beam fuse and the HID still worked if I flipped the switch to high beam. I don't know much about relays or how to wire them, so if that is what you're using, sorry, I can't help ya on that.

ok.. the relay can be removed... it's easy.

did you run your HID's with the stock harness? if so... was everything ok? I keep hearing the harness is not meant for them...

and i guess by removing my lowbeam fuse, i can get rid of the day times lmao..

I'm going on a search for the hi beam cables... IF i can find them i'll do them.. but I don't really know what I'm looking for as I'm not using a stock harness lol

BGR
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
ok.. the relay can be removed... it's easy.

did you run your HID's with the stock harness? if so... was everything ok? I keep hearing the harness is not meant for them...

and i guess by removing my lowbeam fuse, i can get rid of the day times lmao..

Yeah, mine are connected with the stock harness, however, I have since upgraded the harness to a heavy duty harness because the old ones melted when I used to use high wattage bulbs prior to HID.

Since you're using 55w bulbs or whatever, I would recommend changing the harness. You can find them on Ebay or at the local auto store. My HID's use only 35watts, so I would say it would be safe to use on the stock harness had I not melted them before.

If all you have is a single filament H4 HID bulb, then removing the low beam fuse should do the trick. But like I said, if you're using some other wiring setup, then I don't know what to tell you as I haven't seen it and I'd just be doing more guessing.

Anyhow, it's time for me to leave work. I'm out of here. I'll check back sometime this evening when I get home.

es_fact
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, mine are connected with the stock harness, however, I have since upgraded the harness to a heavy duty harness because the old ones melted when I used to use high wattage bulbs prior to HID.

Since you're using 55w bulbs or whatever, I would recommend changing the harness. You can find them on Ebay or at the local auto store. My HID's use only 35watts, so I would say it would be safe to use on the stock harness had I not melted them before.

If all you have is a single filament H4 HID bulb, then removing the low beam fuse should do the trick.

ALRIGHT

give me a few days imma hunt the harness and i'll let you know.. lol

what exactly am I looking for? lol

es_fact
05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm about to order a set of HID's for my fogs... 35w 3000k DDM... bulb size on the BULB LIST says

Fog/Driving lights
Part number = 893#

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14195&highlight=bulb+size&page=3

but it also says... #Can substitute H880/892/899/885

so from DDM i plan on ordering 35W 3000K 880

I don't wanna have to return anything considering how slow their shipping tends to be.. lol.

BGR
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I ordered some H1 HID's from Extreme HID a few weeks ago. They sell 800 series HID's, too and ship within a day or two. I received mine about 4 days after ordering.

http://www.xtremehids.com/index.php?cPath=21_121

Regarding the H4 heavy duty wiring harness, refer to the link below for examples:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H4+heavy+duty+wiring+harness&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=