PDA

View Full Version : funny sound some times on cold start.

rr2swift
05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
some days usually when it is cold out , on the first start of the morning, when i start it there is a rattle in the engine, but if i shut it off and restart it it's gone, i originally thought it was the oil pickup,them another thought, i figured it is the cam or crank sensor. any one have a opinion or know of any problems with ether one of the issues with the cam or crank sensor?

as a note the engine is a stock 3.8, 04 gts if that matters.

6G72Galant
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I had the same problem too. Its your timing belt tensioner or your water pump. Im willing to bet that rattling is your timing belt smaking against the timing belt cover because the tensioner is not providing the tension necessary. But its also a wise idea to change your water pump too. That timing belt tensioner costs about $130 at a Mitsu dealership. Advance Auto (my P/T job has that part for about $60). While you're getting the timing belt tensioner fixed, I would also recommend the following...

-Replace your water pump (its driven by the timing belt)
-Replace your idler pulley
-Replace your belt tensioner pulley
-Replace timing belt
-Replace serpentine belt

I paid about $800 for all that work (parts and labor) with crazy discounts. I was pissed having to spend that kind of money. But id be more pissed off with no car. Do the work. Its well worth it.

rr2swift
05-09-2009, 08:29 AM
wow totally make sense, i wasn't even thinking about that,i was in a totally different state of mind,well looks like i got some work to do, oh boy, oh well pay now or pay more later thanks bro.

6G72Galant
05-09-2009, 11:58 AM
wow totally make sense, i wasn't even thinking about that,i was in a totally different state of mind,well looks like i got some work to do, oh boy, oh well pay now or pay more later thanks bro.

Def do it all now. Better to do it all at once, then to skimp and end up replacing parts again. Its expensive, but its cheaper than having to buy a new car.

I tried to skimp, and eventually it got to the point where that rattling noise wouldnt go away at all. So i took into my old job and had them replace all those parts. After having the work done, that sound is gone.

rr2swift
05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm just more worried on be able these days with my back, but i think if i jack it up high enough so all i have to do is lean over a little, it will be easier on my back.

echo12
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
hey man any updates on this?

My 9Gts has the same symptoms but this is definitely the most logical thing I've read so far.

My car also kinda shakes a lil' when Idle.

Its a 05' Gts 3.8L w. a Fujita CAI.

rr2swift
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
No i haven't dug into it yet, it hasn't made that sound in awhile, i did the sea foam engine and synthetic oil changes, I'm hoping it will holed up until i get the ripp long tubes.

RedGalant2k1
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Keep running synthetic, the lubricant properties and additive package is MUCH better than over conventional oils, there is almost no reason to actually used traditional oil anymore.

rr2swift
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Keep running synthetic, the lubricant properties and additive package is MUCH better than over conventional oils, there is almost no reason to actually used traditional oil anymore.

Ive been telling people that for about 15yrs i have run it in every car i have owned from my lightning to my evo and everyone i work on. it is the best lube for any and all engines, i even run it in my lawn mower.:rockon: