PDA

View Full Version : JDM HL Harness

NightHawkTL
02-12-2003, 02:23 AM
can i get headlights harnesses in the US or do I have to get the harness from overseas for the JDM Headlights? cuz i was thinking of getting new Headlights and then getting a harness that would fit the lights if that possible.. where would I find one??

pinoyesv6
02-12-2003, 08:21 AM
you can get the parts to make the harness in the US. i dunno if a car shares the same harness style as the jdm galant but yea its a hack and chop deal unless you can find someone overseas that can get u the harness...

Reelax
02-12-2003, 01:48 PM
you DO NOT NEED a JDM harness since it would still require a cut and rewire. US OE is H4 dual filament while JDM is H7/H1 dual bulb. there is no prefabricated plug and play way to do this conversion so the JDM harness would b almost useless to have except for maybe the clips to the bulbs (which are basically plastic w/ femal spade connectors clipped in).

the good news is this is almost as easy a rewire as the tail lights but you don't need to bore anything out. just cut off the H4 clip, crimp female spade connectors to each positive (1 for high and 1 for low) and negative (you'll have one from the H4). clip the low beam positive and a negative directly to the H7 low beam bulbs (H7 has 2 terminals) and the H1 high beam bulb (you will need to tap a negative from the OE H4 harness and secure it under a screw that holds the H1 retaining clip to the housing since H1 bulbs only have 1 terminal for postive, no negative). you will also need 1 diode per side to bridge the low beam and high beam positives to keep your low beams on when you hit your high beams (the high beams power the low beams via the diode patch) other wise your low and high would just alternate. the 1157 OE (corner lights) sockets fit into the JDM housings w/ very minor trimming to the socket so there is no need to replace it and it will operate like stock.

the real problem you should be concerned w/ is there is significant metal cutting involed to get these to fit US spec but IT CAN B DONE. cali, lazarus and others have done it. you will have to make at least one custom mounting point for the inner mounting point in front of the tranny cooler but u'll see what i mean if you go ahead and get the lights.

also you will either need a bodykit wich has the front grill ommitted or a JDM grill since the JDM lights will not fit the US spec grill.

...now as far as me having a harness bypssing all the OE wiring directly to the battery... i did this to be safe since i'm running HID H7 and HID H1 and i wanted to b sure that i had enough direct power and heavy duty wiring to sustain current consistently. in hind site, this was total overkill and if i had to do it all over again, i would have ommitted my custom harness and relay network.

lopro_319
02-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Hey, got question with my JDM headlight??? I got mine from the PI which is the 2pc. set. I was able to mount both left and right headlights but when i got to the jdm grille it ends up almost 1/2 inch short on both sides. do you think that the grille from PI is shorter than what you guys have? or is basically the same?

THanks!!!

Reelax
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey, got question with my JDM headlight??? I got mine from the PI which is the 2pc. set. I was able to mount both left and right headlights but when i got to the jdm grille it ends up almost 1/2 inch short on both sides. do you think that the grille from PI is shorter than what you guys have? or is basically the same?

THanks!!!

my headlights are from taiwan... 1 piece left hand drive. i used the grill i bought in the PI. the gaps are normal and the grill fits pretty well (i had to do some minor enlarging to 2 of the holes where the grill meets the housings. do your housings sit in flush to the hoodline? if not, you need to do a little more cutting so that they fit in line w/ the hood. once they do, the grill should clip into the headlight housings and the original clip points (although one of the clip holes needs to b made (cut/drilled) in the metal behind the grill). here's pics of how it should look:

http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/JDMclose.jpg
look at the top where the headlights and grill meet the hood. that should all b flush.

http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/JDMday.jpg
look at the gaps between the headlight and grill. they should b pretty tight but not touching in front.