PDA

View Full Version : Spray & rinse wheel cleaners?

Serstylz2
05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Anyone have a recommended spray and rinse wheel cleaner product? I already know i won't want to hand wash my new wheels all the time... looking at this product.. any feedback is appreciated

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1003

showtime
05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
i have that, and I have used the black magic one too. Both are awesome.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Hmmmm, you know I was thinking the very same thing because I've hand detailed my wheels since forever. The wheels on the Evo are light and a bitch to keep clean with the giant brakes and dusty pads...

I have to wash my cars today, so maybe I'll try this shit out. I've had mixed luck with Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. It's not bad.

RedGalant2k1
05-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Best bet is mild soap and water.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Best bet is mild soap and water.

Ha... Dave.

OK, go try that on my Evo. :)

Serstylz2
05-17-2009, 02:26 PM
I mean i am willing to use a wheel brush on some nooks n crannies to make sure the spray penetrates the brake dust, but i dont want to spend 45 mins cleaning wheels, you know?

RedGalant2k1
05-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Ha... Dave.

OK, go try that on my Evo. :)

I mean i am willing to use a wheel brush on some nooks n crannies to make sure the spray penetrates the brake dust, but i dont want to spend 45 mins cleaning wheels, you know?

Actually seriously...mild soap and water is best. It will help getting off most dirt, brake dust, and grime. I use what I use to wash the car since that will be made mild enough not to damage the vehicle's paint. or clearcoat.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Actually seriously...mild soap and water is best. It will help getting off most dirt, brake dust, and grime. I use what I use to wash the car since that will be made mild enough not to damage the vehicle's paint. or clearcoat.

I'm with what Arel is saying. I use the same wash soap/shampoo on my wheels as on my paint... just doesn't work well. The Galant is easier, must be the finish on the Evo wheels. I'll use some Swiss wheel wax on whichever wheels I end up with to cut down on the brake dust buildup.

blue8g
05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
haha steelies, i just soap and water 1 min per done....

RedGalant2k1
05-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm with what Arel is saying. I use the same wash soap/shampoo on my wheels as on my paint... just doesn't work well. The Galant is easier, must be the finish on the Evo wheels. I'll use some Swiss wheel wax on whichever wheels I end up with to cut down on the brake dust buildup.

I use Eagle One, always works well on the wheels.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I use Eagle One, always works well on the wheels.

Stop trying to mindfuck me! It's supposedly not acidic, and therefore if it's sprayed off immediately, you're OK.

But it's been more than once when I've been washing one of my cars out in the driveway and somebody has stopped by and distracted me, asking about them... the curious are dangerous for my washing endeavors! Baked on polish is hard to get off. :(

ricky_db
05-17-2009, 03:39 PM
i use that stuff once its good just don't let it dry on the rim and u will be fine

6G72Galant
05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Dont use wheel cleaner. Use some car wash soap and water and a microfiber cloth/sponge. After that apply a coat of wheel wax.

Seriously, my friend has replica Corvette wheels on his Firebird, and those babies shine the way they did when he first installed them.

Invest in a good wax. Heres the one Ive been using...

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/product_nanopolish.jpg

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Dont use wheel cleaner. Use some car wash soap and water and a microfiber cloth/sponge. After that apply a coat of wheel wax.

Seriously, my friend has replica Corvette wheels on his Firebird, and those babies shine the way they did when he first installed them.

Invest in a good wax. Heres the one Ive been using...

http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/product_nanopolish.jpg

Are you kididng me?

That's not a wax. It's a METAL POLISH. For bare metal, including chrome finishes. Most of us have painted or powder coated wheels. Although the product says it's safe for clear coat finishes, it's for sure not designed to be used often on them. Too abrasive.

Want a real wheel wax? Here you go: http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=186 There are other cheaper alternatives as well. Or you can just use a polymer protectant/wax like Meguiar's NXT. That'll work fine on wheels. Resilient as hell. Normal carnauba wax can't take the abuse.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-17-2009, 04:27 PM
i also use mild soap & warm water always come out great for me. It does take me about 5-7 mins per wheel to get them perfect.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
See... you guys don't do a ton of hard braking. Trust me, when you wash your car every other day, it's worth it just to have a quick wheel cleaning agent. If I went without cleaning my wheels for a week, they'd be dark grey.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
yeah, i dont hard brake..Shit i barley even drive the car lol. I wash the wheels every month along with the car. Arel buy one of those black magic soft hand brush's and use some soap with nice bubbles, it get the job done. I tried spray on cleaners on my old wheels, it really didn't make it easier to clean IMO, so i never bothered with my new ones.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I'll try out the Eagle stuff later today when I wash my cars.

6G72Galant
05-17-2009, 06:45 PM
My bad Arel, thought you had chrome. Use some carwash soap and a micro-fiber cloth/sponge. Invest the 5 minutes per wheel. Its worth it. And use some wax on the insides of the wheels. That way when the brake dust builds up, you can just wipe the brake dust off.

There is no such thing as a "quick" wheel cleaner. And from my past experiences, all those "quick" cleaners leave spots all over the wheel unless you completely rinse off the cleaner. But to be honest, the best "quick" cleaner I've used was the Armor All Triple Cleaner.

BUT nothing beats a good ol bucket of soapy water and a sponge.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I'll try out the Eagle stuff later today when I wash my cars.

OK Wal-Mart didn't have any and I'm boycotting Checker, so I ended up getting Meguiar's stuff again. I'll use it as directed with no scrubbing and report back tonight.

RedGalant2k1
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
See... you guys don't do a ton of hard braking. Trust me, when you wash your car every other day, it's worth it just to have a quick wheel cleaning agent. If I went without cleaning my wheels for a week, they'd be dark grey.

Mild soap and water is still the way to go, trust me on that.

Rayth
05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
any other suggestions on brushes to use? my rims get staind with road stuff/tar and i need to try and scrub it off without scratching

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/31/l_ade7321664544f8594085bdc98032c1b.jpg

p.s. don't http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:nvjpvjvyfN4xaM:http://devanshmittal.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mind_the_gap-logo.jpg

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Mild soap and water is still the way to go, trust me on that.

Sorry dude, I disagree. Just finished washing both cars and using a wheel wash is a huge time saver. I may change my mind once I'm rocking new wheels on the Evo, but for now this stuff works great.

It did require scrubbing, but cut cleaning time in half. My normal wash soap just doesn't do shit to the brake dust on the Evo.

Behold.

At first, yucky...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2583.jpg

Then clean!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2587.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2588.jpg

On the Evo... a lot of brake dust buildup between the spokes at first.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2591.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2592.jpg

Then after a light brushing with the Meguiar's

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2605.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/t158/vancottt/100_2606.jpg

I like the stuff. I spent literally 1-2 minutes on each wheel and they came out great. I was very thorough in spraying them down afterward, however.

Highly recommended, with a fine-bristle wheel brush: Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. FTW

pinoyesv6
05-17-2009, 10:08 PM
im with Dave on this one. mild soap and water works best for me.

the biggest thing is to keep them clean. if you let all that brake dust coat the wheels for a month then expect it to be stubborn to remove but if you keep your wheels cleaned regularly then you shouldn't have any problems.

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 10:11 PM
im with Dave on this one. mild soap and water works best for me.

the biggest thing is to keep them clean. if you let all that brake dust coat the wheels for a month then expect it to be stubborn to remove but if you keep your wheels cleaned regularly then you shouldn't have any problems.

I have to clean the wheels on the Evo every few days. Otherwise, the brake dust would start etching the finish on the wheels. It's a pain, must be the stock brake pads.

Serstylz2
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
thats my problem that I guess i was trying to address initially by buying a spray and wash cleaner. I don't wash my car or wheels often enough and the brake dust becomes stubborn, but if I had a spray and wash set i would more than likely use it every 2-3 days if it actually worked to keep the buildup from beginning in the first place. if that makes sense.. looks like it works, so I will try it out, thanks all

tamim13
05-17-2009, 11:14 PM
For my DD, I took Dave's advice and switched to Akebonos, and now soap and water, once in 2 weeks, works well enough to remove whatever little brake dust I accumulate (which is mostly invisible anyway)

WarmAndSCSI
05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
thats my problem that I guess i was trying to address initially by buying a spray and wash cleaner. I don't wash my car or wheels often enough and the brake dust becomes stubborn, but if I had a spray and wash set i would more than likely use it every 2-3 days if it actually worked to keep the buildup from beginning in the first place. if that makes sense.. looks like it works, so I will try it out, thanks all

I'll be trying some wheel wax as well once I get new shoes for the Evo. I'll have to see how it works...

actually, I may try applying some of my Meguiar's NXT 2.0 on the stock Evo wheels while they're nice and clean.

E_Emerson88
05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
i have chrome and i use meguires chrome cleaner and its a foaming stuff and it leaves all this white shit on my calipers and drums. any tips on what i should switch to???

6G72Galant
05-18-2009, 01:03 PM
DO NOT USE A BRUSH ON YOUR WHEELS.

Would you take a brush, and brush around the road dirt on your car? NO! You'll ruin the clearcoat. Using a brush on wheels with dirt particles on the surface is the quickest way to bring about swirl marks and deteriorate your finish.

1-Hose the wheels down with cold water
2-Fill a bucket with carwash soap and water
3-Wash the wheels by hand using a MICROFIBER cloth/sponge
5-Apply a coat of Polish or Wax to the the wheels
6-Let that Polish or Wax dry to a haze
7-Remove the Polish or Wax with a dry/slightly damp MICROFIBER cloth

Everyday, just take a dry/slightly damp MICROFIBER cloth and wipe the brake dust from the wheels. Ive been doing this lately, and its much easier than cleaning my chrome wheels before. I can literally wipe the brake dust right off of the wheels. Not to mention Ive got a seized caliper in the front, with semi-metallic pads and a somewhat warped rotor. A nice coat of wax on your wheels will go a loooong ways.

6G72Galant
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
i have chrome and i use meguires chrome cleaner and its a foaming stuff and it leaves all this white shit on my calipers and drums. any tips on what i should switch to???

Use carwash soap and water, and wash by hand. LoL. Every wheel cleaner Ive ever used has left that water spots, or some other colored residue behind. Especially when you let that cleaner come into contact with a hot wheel, or brake component.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Use carwash soap and water, and wash by hand. LoL. Every wheel cleaner Ive ever used has left that water spots, or some other colored residue behind. Especially when you let that cleaner come into contact with a hot wheel, or brake component.

Never wash your wheels when the brakes are still hot... JFC

showtime
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
i just washed my car and i just used one of those pressure washers that you throw the quarters in and you hand wash it, then i used some black magic to make them shine and they look pretty now!

showtime
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
holy fucking shit, that dude must make some serious cash washing cars for 5,000 pounds a car

showtime
05-18-2009, 02:19 PM
same dude, different video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNAmZPgcBzU&feature=related

rr2swift
05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone have a recommended spray and rinse wheel cleaner product? I already know i won't want to hand wash my new wheels all the time... looking at this product.. any feedback is appreciated

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1003

There is this stuff called good old elbow grease, not to be mean about it, but i have been at this a long time and have never been able to buy any product that does what it says, so get you a little stool set it in front of each wheel and get to work. they always look good after that stuff. :orangebiggrin:

6G72Galant
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
^^^ A few minutes of elbow grease now will save your wallet from grief later.

Arel, just saw the wheels in the other pic thread. Looking good.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Enough.

There are plenty of pH-neutral cleaners that aid in cleaning your wheels. Using a fine-bristled brush is FINE on your wheels if you're simultaneously using a lubricating cleaner. Detailing spray, fairly concentrated soap+water, wheel cleaner, etc. Brush your wheels without first apply a clingy lubricant, and you'll be sorry. And always spray out the brush between wheels. Common f-ing sense. I've always done it this way, and I will continue to even after I put $3000+ wheels on the Evo.

6G72Galant
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Arel-No cleaner works better than carwash soap and some water. EVERY wheel cleaner Ive used has left spots all over the surface of my wheels. Ill admit, those spots would be magnified seeing as to how i have chrome wheels. But IMHO, id invest money into a good wax or polish for your wheels. Once youve got a nice coat of wax on those wheels, you can literally clean the wheels by wiping the brake dust off the wheels. Id also recommend putting a nice coat of wax on once a week.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out for you. User testimonies are always great.

RedGalant2k1
05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I've used all sorts of wheel cleaners, and never have I had a better and cleaner wheel than with soap and water. In fact most wheel companies suggest simply that.

Btw, here is what is in most wheel cleaners:
http://whatsinproducts.com/information.php?brandNo=13-006-045&PHPSESSID=0c8a41cb43909dfcf483aebf65c9b48c

Phosphoric acid 007664-38-2 10-15
Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl), alpha-(4-nonylphenyl)-omega-hydroxy- ,branched 127087-87-0 2-8
Hydroxyacetic acid 000079-14-1 1-5
Propylene glycol butyl ether 005131-66-8 1-3
Ammonium hydrogen difluoride 001341-49-7 1-3
Water 007732-18-5 55-70

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but I'm lazy. It honestly is a pain in the ass to use just soap and water on many wheels.

Dave, I know products contain a lot of acids and whatnot, but it's all about the concentration.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
OK this makes no sense, however. This Meguiar's stuff says not to use on power-coated wheels... however, it's safe to use on all factory finishes. !? Many factory finishes ARE powder coated. And if not, it's painted. And powder coating is much more resilient to chemicals than plain old paint. I don't get it. *shrugs*

I'll go look what's actually in this in a bit.

RedGalant2k1
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Actually, most factory wheels are either painted and clearcoated, or polished.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Actually, most factory wheels are either painted and clearcoated, or polished.

I said many. Powder coating and painting are the same things fundamentally once they're cured, anyway. That's why I can't understand why this bottle says that.

RedGalant2k1
05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Probably because powdercoated wheels usually aren't clearcoated.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Probably because powdercoated wheels usually aren't clearcoated.

Tru that... well all of my powder coated stuff is cleared.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
alot of volk/works wheel guy use this, im going to order it and try it out.

http://wheelwax.com/

Serstylz2
05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Remember folks, the main purpose for this thread was to ask if using spray and rinse cleaners was another ALTERNATIVE OPTION when you're on the go, to get your wheels clean, IE will you even notice a difference after using the product. When I have the time I will use soap and water, but sometimes washing my car has to be a quick detail and spending 25+ mins on the wheels alone isn't feasible. I am not trying to figure out which is better, chemical vs. soap and water, just if the actual spray and rinse product does what it claims, safely. Just wanted people to stay on topic overall

WarmAndSCSI
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Remember folks, the main purpose for this thread was to ask if using spray and rinse cleaners was another ALTERNATIVE OPTION when you're on the go, to get your wheels clean, IE will you even notice a difference after using the product. When I have the time I will use soap and water, but sometimes washing my car has to be a quick detail and spending 25+ mins on the wheels alone isn't feasible. I am not trying to figure out which is better, chemical vs. soap and water, just if the actual spray and rinse product does what it claims, safely. Just wanted people to stay on topic overall

I'm the only one who has been answering that question. It saves a TON of time and does exactly what it states... in direct comparison to soap + water + fine brush to cleaner + brush + water, the cleaner cut cleaning time at least in half, and left the wheels cleaner anyway (especially the difficult spots to reach). Now, if you have waxed wheels, I suspect it may dissolve the wax. In that case, the product to use would just be a good paint detailer.

I'll continue to report back on my actual findings, not shit I'm pulling out of my ass.

Serstylz2
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea you have been giving good input, I just didn't want this swirling out of control. Thanks btw

mapid145
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
ive used the eagle one wheel cleaner for all wheels.. i like it and it is A LOT better then the pep boys one. ( Dad got it for free so i used it)..

Also i used a foam one that comes in a can.. i think it was megeires.. not sure.. it was decent.. but i really like eagle one

WarmAndSCSI
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
ive used the eagle one wheel cleaner for all wheels.. i like it and it is A LOT better then the pep boys one. ( Dad got it for free so i used it)..

Also i used a foam one that comes in a can.. i think it was megeires.. not sure.. it was decent.. but i really like eagle one

Good feedback, thanks. I want to try the Eagle One stuff next time.

mapid145
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
try it man.. its really nice.. cost between 5 and 6 but well worth it.. i first bought that one cus it had the most liquid for the price and it turned out to be a good investment

RedGalant2k1
05-19-2009, 11:55 PM
x2 on the Eagle One, I've used it for years with good results. In fact I've used on my chrome wheels too with great results. Though, soap and water is still best.

WarmAndSCSI
05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Though, soap and water is still best.

lol ok admin Dave, we get it.

DOHCstunr
05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
I just use soap and water.

once i've washed my car and the wheel, I drive the car around the block(to shake loose the remaining water)
then wipe the wheels down with detail spray and a clean rag.
If I keep at it between washed, I use a foaming aerosol detail spray and a clean rag to keep the wheels shined between washes.

Serstylz2
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Yea I would use soap and water if I had 7 long spokes to clean too, I used soap and water on my 5 spokes as well.

WarmAndSCSI
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
OK so I've applied a proper polymer wax/protectant on my Evo's wheels - Meguiar's NXT 2.0 paste wax. I'll see how it does over the next week and report back on how it affects ease of cleaning. They're definitely shiny now.

DOHCstunr
05-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I tried the spray and wash stuff back in the day.
In my experience, it only worked well if i used it all the time and didn't let my wheels get super dirty.
If the wheels were dirty, spraying them with cleaner was just a waste of product.
But I haven't even tried any of the products that have been on the market in the last three years.

Rayth
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
am i okay using turtle wax on my wheels or should i not bother and wait to get wheel specific wax?

WarmAndSCSI
05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
am i okay using turtle wax on my wheels or should i not bother and wait to get wheel specific wax?

Use a synthetic polymer wax or a specific wheel wax. Anything else may actually attract brake dust and definitely won't put up with the heat...

I'm guessing on the polymer wax right now. I'll report back with feedback.

Serstylz2
05-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I cleaned my wheels for the first time today and it actually didn't take as long as I though it would.. i think a spray and rinse would literally make my wheel cleaning time go down to 1 min a wheel hah

WarmAndSCSI
05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Reporting back... using my Meguiar's NXT 2.0 on the wheels was pretty effective. Less brake dust buildup, as far as I can tell (lasted 8 days with no wheel washing with little buildup). Makes cleaning a lot easier, and actually feasible with just a sponge and soapy water on the Evo. Effort approximately cut in half plus the wheels stay shinier all the time.

I'll be switching to some purpose-made wheel wax upon my next major detail.

Rayth
05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Reporting back... using my Meguiar's NXT 2.0 on the wheels was pretty effective. Less brake dust buildup, as far as I can tell (lasted 8 days with no wheel washing with little buildup). Makes cleaning a lot easier, and actually feasible with just a sponge and soapy water on the Evo. Effort approximately cut in half plus the wheels stay shinier all the time.

I'll be switching to some purpose-made wheel wax upon my next major detail.

good to know, thanks.. same stuff I can use on my Konigs? i cant figure out what theyre made of.. brushed aluminimum? powder coated?

RedGalant2k1
06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
good to know, thanks.. same stuff I can use on my Konigs? i cant figure out what theyre made of.. brushed aluminimum? powder coated?

Your Konigs are machined, painted, then clearcoated. Any standard wheel wax or aluminum wheel cleaner would work well.

P'NOYcaL
03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
i have that, and I have used the black magic one too. Both are awesome.

X2 on this...I'm using black magic works pretty good jus spray wash and wipe.