PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea

Spartan251
05-18-2009, 08:29 AM
:115:Has anybody thought about putting the paddle shifter setup from the new lancer on a 7g? I was passing one yesterday and the idea hit me. Is there any big problem with this working on our cars?

peanotation
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
putting paddle shifters on the 7G auto tranny is like building a space shuttle around a blender made in mexico

kamenfaiz
05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Really! I have never think i can make a space shuttle around a blender that is made in Mexico.

4-G-rim
05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Its completely pointless and a waste of time and money. The paddle shifters in the lancers are electronically controlled and the wiring is totally intergrated in the the ECM.

peanotation
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Really! I have never think i can make a space shuttle around a blender that is made in Mexico.

it was a mediocre analogy. i was saying that trying to get any more precision or performance out of a 7G automatic transmission would require the second coming of christ. hooking up paddle shifters would be like forcing a turtle to outrun a cheetah by pumping red bull directly into it's blood. you would get about three feet and then the thing would explode

evil-G-nius
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Much better Matt! LOL funny bastard

GOOSEY2099
05-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I though about doing it to a manual 8g at one point, and i still think i can make it work. The one problem i was faced with was the automatic cluch that i'd have to rig. Looking at the diagrams from bmw for the smg i've come to the conclusion that the pump they use to presurise the clutch slave cyl is wayy to much money. Basicly its a waste.

WarmAndSCSI
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
There was a company at one point making TCU upgrades for the 7G. I cannot remember their name for the life of me. Anyway, they had some kind of paddle-shifter add-on available as well.

phizzalot
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I made a post about that TCU a while back, but they came up with it after I went 5spd.

I still think that it could be cool to try out on a 7g auto trans, but I would get some work done to the auto transmission before the tcu is added...

shovelman
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
There was a company at one point making TCU upgrades for the 7G. I cannot remember their name for the life of me. Anyway, they had some kind of paddle-shifter add-on available as well.

I think that company was called TCU-GO or something along those lines.

seth98esT
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Doing this on a stock auto tranny is pointless. Doing this on a built auto tranny is actually a cool idea.

TCUgo used to make a kit that plugged into your stock TCU harness and had paddles.

http://www.tcugo.com/

But their website is gone now?

Spartan251
05-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Right on, It was just a thought. Peano I like the turtle analogy. funny shit!

bmore303
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
TCUgo has been out of production for years. The only current dsm model is http://www.roadsurge.com/ . The owner has said multiple times that he would look into it if someone provided him with wiring diagrams, but like already stated...the stock 7g auto tranny isn't exactly gonna hold out long.