Kyleg
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
With paint :orangeyes:

Sorry I will add more, it depends how deep the scratch is,
it could be polished out,
it can be hidden with polish,
it can be flatted down and polished to reduce its appearance
if its laquered paint, you can try touching in the laquer

If your asking how to paint over a scratch my best advice would be to get it done professionally.

Personally what I would do, would be by the paint for your car, then using a pin or toothpick, start putting the paint into the scratch, then when its covered, sand it down with some 1000 grit sandpaper working back to 1200, 1500, 2000 grit sandpaper and polish it up.

With that said, if you get that wrong, you could end up breaking through the surface of the original paint work, which you would then have to repaint.

Painting a scratch isnt that easy, due to colour variations, the colour wont really match, might get close, but if you were spraying the whole panel
Sand it down with 400 grit sand paper, working back to 2000 grit sandpaper till the surface is smooth and uniform
wipe with panel wipe
apply a few coats of primer when they are dry, flat them down with some 1000 back to 2000,
wipe with panel wipe
Spray new paint on
Then laquer if needs be

Make sure that you only put thin coats of primer and paint on at a time, dont cake it on there, thin even coats, otherwise it will be to thick and wont dry and will look crap.

Same with paint, thin coats and build them up

Make sure the primer is fully dry before using panel wipe, and test that the panel wipe wont eat into the primer

Also get some tack rags, when ever you sand, and before you paint wipe a tack rag over it

Also remove any trim that can be removed, dont try and mask around it, it ends up looking bad a good finish is all in the prep dont rush it, but I would definatly take it to a shop if you dont know what your doing

I sprayed my front bumper as I know what I am doing being a painter by trade the bumper prep took 2 days to do, painting half a day, but I have all the gear to do it

es_fact
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
depending of the depth... if your asking this question i suggest you take it to a shop. if it's well past the clear coat and into the paint you will have to feather out, prime it paint it and clear coat it.

Galante seems to have some experience in home painting lol.. PM him

bhudrei
05-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Can you provide pictures for better assistance? There are some scratches that wouldn't need painting, and there are some that you need to do a larger part in order to blend the paint depending on the severity of the problem. A picture will help a lot.

DFX
05-30-2009, 06:38 PM
if you can't buff it out, i'd suggest taking it to a shop.