PDA

View Full Version : ECM Changes/Differences for the 6G72?

SPD_FRK
05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I know that on some applications some of the ECUs have different capabilites/tunes already set in them, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding this on the 6G72 platform here. I have searched a number of threads so far pertaining to the topic, but nothing really specific.

I have a 1999 right now and I am curious if "updating" the stock ECU to a newer unit will be of any benefit? Or if there are any differences in the ECUs for the 99-03 models does anybody know specifically what they are?

gtx
05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I know that on some applications some of the ECUs have different capabilites/tunes already set in them, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding this on the 6G72 platform here. I have searched a number of threads so far pertaining to the topic, but nothing really specific.

I have a 1999 right now and I am curious if "updating" the stock ECU to a newer unit will be of any benefit? Or if there are any differences in the ECUs for the 99-03 models does anybody know specifically what they are?
Small difference in the "tune" would be between earlier, fed spec cars and the rest, cali specs, that's pretty much it. The upside to a late '01 or newer ecu would be the fact, that you can flash them without a fuss.

WarmAndSCSI
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
There is a HUGE difference between the tune on the Fed-spec ECU versus the Cali-spec. I'll post up maps once I'm feeling not extremely lazy.

Hardware-wise, the ECUs look the same from the outside, have the same plug configuration, but the 1999-2000 ECU's have an older H8 processor that is yet to be compatible with OpenEcu/Tactrx/EcuFlash. They're working on it, mainly because some Evo 6's also have the same problem.

There are the obvious interface differences like 2 additional O2 sensors for the Cali-spec 01+ and the removal of the in-bay remote voltage sensor.

I've run a 2000-wired 6G72 Galant for a few minutes with a 2001 Cali-spec ECU successfully. It's a direct swap, but you'll get CEL's without modifying the periphery bits a little.

Honestly, stick with your Fed-spec ECU. It already has a tune that will make you 5-10% better power than the 01-03 tune.

SPD_FRK
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
There is a HUGE difference between the tune on the Fed-spec ECU versus the Cali-spec. I'll post up maps once I'm feeling not extremely lazy.

Hardware-wise, the ECUs look the same from the outside, have the same plug configuration, but the 1999-2000 ECU's have an older H8 processor that is yet to be compatible with OpenEcu/Tactrx/EcuFlash. They're working on it, mainly because some Evo 6's also have the same problem.

There are the obvious interface differences like 2 additional O2 sensors for the Cali-spec 01+ and the removal of the in-bay remote voltage sensor.

I've run a 2000-wired 6G72 Galant for a few minutes with a 2001 Cali-spec ECU successfully. It's a direct swap, but you'll get CEL's without modifying the periphery bits a little.

Honestly, stick with your Fed-spec ECU. It already has a tune that will make you 5-10% better power than the 01-03 tune.
Thanks man I appreciate that a lot, one less thing for me to dink around with lol