PDA

View Full Version : It my turn to ask for help now!

MitsuMan
08-19-2002, 07:13 PM
OK I have helped many of you with your problems, now i need some help

I had my rims put on about 2 weeks ago and they were fine....

Now when i drive there is this noise like something is hitting the inside of the rim, ie. the caliper when the wheel spins around....

Its kinda wierd because it only happens when I am coasting, doesnt happen when I am accelerating or when I am braking, if it is making the noise when I am coasting, the second i press the brakes it stops, but then also it stops when i accelerate....anybody have this problem, ...its making my car sound like a helicopter for christ sake and from what i see there is nothing in the way of it,...can anyone give me an idea of what i might be (BTW this post is for people who know what they are talking about) I appreciate responsed but intelligent ones are better....

thanks all....

dean

QnzMostWanted
08-19-2002, 07:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MitsuMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>(BTW this post is for people who know what they are talking about) Â*
dean</div>

well that leaves me out lol....

the only time my car sounded like that was when my brakes either needed changing or cleaning.....i dont think it has anythign to do with ur rims or u will hear it all the time....but an idea would be to take of the rim and see if there is any grinding on the rim from where the caliper is.... thats all i can think of, hope it helps

95vegasgalant
08-19-2002, 07:39 PM
:twisted: If that the noise im imagining sounds like either a wear indicator hitting or if you have hudcentrics that is to big or just loose fr end parts just jack the front end up and listen to the noise let a friend go behind the seat watch the gauge make sure it doesnt over heat when your listening for the noise :twisted:

TJC
08-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Helicopter sounds huh..... hahaha. The only thing I can think of is the air going through your wheels. Your wheels might be pushing air through it and everytime your spoke say passes very closely to the brake calipers, it makes that helicopter sound.

It might even be the threads against the pavement but maybe it's not balanced or the road is uneven and that road noise just sounds that way.

I think you need to give us a little more info on the exact type of sound. Air, rubbing, pads scratching sound, metal sound, what ever. Does sound also speed up when you roll faster? does it do this at really slow speeds like under 30mph too?

MitsuMan
08-19-2002, 08:00 PM
yeah sorry, i wish i could give more info but i , (for once) am at a loss

It isnt the air, i know because i can feel the vibration from whatever is hitting the wheel,...

yes, it also speeds up as the car speeds up, its as it it only hit in one place though, its not like a scraping sound or a rubbing its like it has trouble clearing in one spot, but from what i can see, there is nothing in the way, im thinking maybe a strut ...maybe, i really have no clue.

i feel like such an idiot, im usually good at finding answers to my own questions....oh and Dever....thanks for the help, it does apply to you...lol!!

MitsuMan
08-19-2002, 08:02 PM
i had replaced the lug bolt, the actual bold that comes out from the rotor when i had my rims put on, im thinking that may be the culprit, but it didnt make that noice earlier so.....hmmmm

QnzMostWanted
08-19-2002, 08:21 PM
why everyone spell my name wrong at least once lol

if it sounds like its hitting in one spot, then maybe u should jack up the car and spin the wheel until u hear the noise, or if u spin the wheel it should spin freely even if spun slow.....if it stops at one point then maybe the rim is bent
sorry it doesnt help much, but that was the only thing i can think of

MitsuMan
08-19-2002, 09:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NyGalant4G63T)</div><div class='quotemain'>why everyone spell my name wrong at least once lol

</div>

i get excited when i get to type your name, it messes me up, me and u have not really common names, denver -dean, so i start typing fast and lose control of myself, lol

BTW, I f***ing hope my rim isnt bent i just got them a week ago :evil:

QnzMostWanted
08-19-2002, 10:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MitsuMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>i get excited when i get to type your name, it messes me up, me and u have not really common names, denver -dean, so i start typing fast and lose control of myself, lol

</div>

lol

I hope it aint bent either

burthold
08-19-2002, 10:56 PM
It could be the centering ring isn't installed properly it will cause things like rubbing and make your tire feel like it is out of ballance. I've seen it before.

Wes

MitsuMan
08-20-2002, 07:05 AM
I have no idea,

I am almost positive that the rim isnt bent or else it would make that sound all the time...It only makes it when the car is coasting, not when I brake or accellerate as the car would shake if it was bent or wobble or pull

any more ideas, i am going to take it to those awesome dudes at pepboys tomorrow, i had them put on my wheels because i didnt have time to do it, and once again i always say if u want something done right, u have to do it your self...idiots probably messed up my car, a week before i have all my body work done, hust what i need more problems

Mr. E
08-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Have you recently hit a bump or a dip? i did, and had the exact same problem.The shop fixed it by replacing a bolt on that bar that goes under the front end of the car.Jack up the car, and look on that big bar under the front end...there should be a bolt that holds it.if that gets smashed, it will bang upon acceleration and braking, and sometimes while driving.If thats the problem, then you will notice it immediatley because the thing will be all scraped up if you hit a bump.

MitsuMan
08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
MR E,

Thanks, how much did it cost to repair?...If thats all it is I will be really happy, i think i may have hit a few dips as my car has been riding alot more stiff since i put my rims on....Im gonna take a look at it, i will let everyone know what the deal is tomorrow when i take it to the shop, (if i cant do it myself) thanks MR E and everyone

dean

Mr. E
08-21-2002, 09:49 PM
Well, it was just a loose bolt.The mechanic had to buy one from a junkyard, abouty 20 dollars i think.he didnt charge me to put it on, he jsut replaced it while doing the brakes.

MitsuMan
08-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Ended up being a ball joint recall issue, now i have to take it to the dealer now that its fixed and argue that i need a refund.....cant wait for this one

jiul
03-03-2003, 09:38 AM
I had that problem on a Trooper, I tightend the lugs and it stoped.