View Full Version : Radiator replacement...

maximus99
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Well,now I got another problem now,besides my ABS dash lite going on & off! :-( I was under the hood today to check the oil ,etc. and wondered why it was so dirty everywhere.Then on top of a fan shroud,I found a small puddle of antifreeze. Thought it was cuz the rad cap wasnt totally closed.Anyway,when I filled the rad back up with more fluid,I started seeing the green stuff where I just wiped it up.Yurns out there is a hairline crack,just below the center top of the radiator facing front! Great,just what I need with no money coming in...I'm unemployed.The crack doesnt seem to look repairable,& I dont think tape will hold. So,who is good,reasonably priced radiator supplier for our 8G Galant C6's? I found this really cheap one on Ebay--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-99-00-01-02-03-3-0-V6-RADIATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c6 6Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c 293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem29fd6e1b2eQQitemZ180345510702QQptZMotorsQ5fCa rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

SPD_FRK
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Thats cheap as heck man! I had the same issue with my radiator and purchased one from EBay myself...except I paid like $74 for it. Still a good deal and it fixes the problem. The one I bought has a lifetime warranty like the one you are looking at there, for the price I say jump on it and get that thing fixed. Should any warranty issues arise contact them directly about it and keep your receipts/copy of the ebay listing.

diablos991
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Tape will not hold.

That is a cheap one that you found. From personal experience I would not trust ebay store warranties. I am sure that would work as a fix for now and last at least until you have more cash later on down the road.
Just keep an eye on that temp gauge! You wouldn't want to warp your head or anything and get an even larger bill!

SPD_FRK
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Tape will not hold.

That is a cheap one that you found. From personal experience I would not trust ebay store warranties. I am sure that would work as a fix for now and last at least until you have more cash later on down the road.
Just keep an eye on that temp gauge! You wouldn't want to warp your head or anything and get an even larger bill!
Actually if any business advertises any type of warranty (30/60/90 or lifetime) and it is publicated in their sale ads/listings they do have to hold to them. Failure to comply with a warranty statement is fraud and a huge federal issue.

If it has a lifetime warranty make full use of that should something occur. A lot of people get screwed over when a company says "waranty void" but most of those people don't realize what a company actually has to do to void the warranty it offers on a product. I worked in the warranty business for a fortune 500 company for a few years and let me tell you, there are some crappy companies out there. My advice if you ever have warranty issue is to look up "The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act" and bring it to the sales person. You will quickly see a different tone/customer service attitude at that point.

diablos991
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Actually if any business advertises any type of warranty (30/60/90 or lifetime) and it is publicated in their sale ads/listings they do have to hold to them. Failure to comply with a warranty statement is fraud and a huge federal issue.

If it has a lifetime warranty make full use of that should something occur. A lot of people get screwed over when a company says "waranty void" but most of those people don't realize what a company actually has to do to void the warranty it offers on a product. I worked in the warranty business for a fortune 500 company for a few years and let me tell you, there are some crappy companies out there. My advice if you ever have warranty issue is to look up "The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act" and bring it to the sales person. You will quickly see a different tone/customer service attitude at that point.

You are making 3 large erroneous assumptions.

That in a year or two's time when it goes out, you will even be able to find the company or the agent with authority in the company.
That the company is even registered in the USA.
That the original purchaser is willing to partake of the cost (both time and money) over a $70 initial investment.

Hell, who knows if that company will still be in business in a couple year's time. That would also make that warranty useless. Never take something such as a warranty to it's face value. There are always other variables to consider.

Also, the fine print details of said warranty state the following: "This warranty limits the remedy of repair or replacement of any defective radiators at the discretion of Pro Radiators. Purchasers remedy does not include any unauthorized labor, material, or transportation charges." and "Purchaser must first arbitrate any dispute or claim arising out of the breach of this warranty agreement, under the arbitration laws of the State of California and the rules of the American Arbitration Association, prior to commencing any lawsuit against company."

Will the purchaser get that warranty in writing upon purchase?

SPD_FRK
06-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Yea...Read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act I posted and learn a thing or two about warranty requirements that the federal government set in place for the consumers. The written/expressed warranty is basic "CYA" type stuff for any company/product. Whether the company is around in 2-3 years nobody knows, that is a normal consumer risk with any product/purchase. As a consumer it is your RIGHT to know about the company, the warranty provided, the regulations set forth by such expressed warranty and USE IT.

This warranty limits the remedy of repair or replacement of any defective radiators at the discretion of Pro Radiators. Purchasers remedy does not include any unauthorized labor, material, or transportation charges." and "Purchaser must first arbitrate any dispute or claim arising out of the breach of this warranty agreement, under the arbitration laws of the State of California and the rules of the American Arbitration Association, prior to commencing any lawsuit against company.
That basically tells you that they have to have eough proof/factual information to justify voiding any warranty due to modifications to the product in any form. Also improper installation or attempts at unauthorized (not by them) repairs of the product.

Clearly they have a process like any other company if a warranty issue arises that you contact the company about the issue. They can and will give you the run around with these things (this is nothing new people), and it is your (the consumer) responsibility to know the laws and regulations a warranty and a company offering a warranty has to cover.

And yes, you get the warranty information with the product, if for some reason you do not then you simply have to contact the company for the copy...if they refuse to give you a copy then question why? If they say there is no warranty then you have the listing and advertisement to show proof of the item selling with a warranty. Any company stupid enough to sell something with a warranty, but not honor that warranty is only seeking federal courts and fines.

ldabney50
06-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I had a radiator leak on top side this is the plastic part, it had a hairline crack on it . I sanded the area first and then used the original JB WELD it was put it on thick this will get me by until I get a chance to buy another radiator. Hope this can be a help to someone also the hoses leak because a white calcium was on the connection.

maximus99
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I had a radiator leak on top side this is the plastic part, it had a hairline crack on it . I sanded the area first and then used the original JB WELD it was put it on thick this will get me by until I get a chance to buy another radiator. Hope this can be a help to someone also the hoses leak because a white calcium was on the connection.

I talked to my local Mitsu. dealer,& he actually said he'd heard Permatex has a plastic radiator repair kit the would most likely fix it,if I beveled out the crack 1st.I considered it,then I just decided to get a radiator.I was going to do it all myself,but wussed out. Its all good now,though. I still need to do a code scan on my 'Anti Lock Brake' dash lite now.And I still have brake pulsation that really pisses me off!

krow
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
I tried JB weld and it didn't work so I looked for another option. I had a 4" crack that was leaving antifreeze over my engine bay.

I have the cheapest fix and its been done on my car and has held for about 2 months. I just didn't feel like replacing the radiator yet and decided to use money for other mods. I will eventually get to it but I used some puddy stuff from Lowe's (I am sure you can go to Home Depot to).

I don't know the name of the putty but I will stop by Lowe's and get the name. It comes in a gray tubular shape with a lighter gray outside and a dark gray inside. All you have to do is break it apart, knead it together, and apply it directly on the crack. It costs about $5 and is found in the plumbing section. It can also fix cracks in engine blocks.

maximus99
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I tried JB weld and it didn't work so I looked for another option. I had a 4" crack that was leaving antifreeze over my engine bay.

I have the cheapest fix and its been done on my car and has held for about 2 months. I just didn't feel like replacing the radiator yet and decided to use money for other mods. I will eventually get to it but I used some puddy stuff from Lowe's (I am sure you can go to Home Depot to).

I don't know the name of the putty but I will stop by Lowe's and get the name. It comes in a gray tubular shape with a lighter gray outside and a dark gray inside. All you have to do is break it apart, knead it together, and apply it directly on the crack. It costs about $5 and is found in the plumbing section. It can also fix cracks in engine blocks.I know the stuff youre talking about.Its an epoxy putty that sposedly activates when you knead it together.I used it to put in bolt holes I drilled in my concrete pad I poured for a carport.Forgot all about it,& shoulda tried it on the rad! Oh,well!

Dominicano
06-15-2009, 05:28 AM
there is this fiberglass radiator kit bought at the auto part store that I used on my car's radiator it still has not leaked yet.

krow
06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I know the stuff youre talking about.Its an epoxy putty that sposedly activates when you knead it together.I used it to put in bolt holes I drilled in my concrete pad I poured for a carport.Forgot all about it,& shoulda tried it on the rad! Oh,well!

Yea it basically turns as solid as a rock and you can tap and drill it. I put several layers on and its worked but I frequently check my coolant level just in case.

Drucru22
06-16-2009, 09:45 AM
This radiator crack must be a common problem among our engines. Mine had a crack in the same place about a year ago. My friend had the same crack in his 01 Stratus rt 6g72 not too long afterwards. We both just bought an OEM replacements.

maximus99
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
This radiator crack must be a common problem among our engines. Mine had a crack in the same place about a year ago. My friend had the same crack in his 01 Stratus rt 6g72 not too long afterwards. We both just bought an OEM replacements.

Do you mind sharing what they cost?

krow
06-16-2009, 10:14 PM

When I called for an OEM replacement it was $285ish. But you might also want to replace the thermostat, upper hose, and lower hose while you have everything off. You could get a knock off from Napa or Autozone for about $150 with a lifetime warranty...just call around.

maximus99
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
When I called for an OEM replacement it was $285ish. But you might also want to replace the thermostat, upper hose, and lower hose while you have everything off. You could get a knock off from Napa or Autozone for about $150 with a lifetime warranty...just call around.

I had a mechanic buddy do it 4 me.& he got a rad for around $190.I shoulda,but didnt,at that time change anything else.But I will when I can get the $$ together.

732Galant
06-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I bought one similar to that off ebay a few months ago. I had the same issue as everyone else is having. Hairline crack on the top. I am now however smelling antifreeze and have been since the day I reinstalled the new radiator and thermostat. I do not see any visible leaks, but I smell coolant and the temp goes a bit higher than normal. Not overheating, but like a hair above mid whereas it was always alil below mid. Anyone have any idea?

Drucru22
06-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Sure, It was about $150... No labor costs because I installed it myself

Night_neo2000
03-20-2012, 03:33 AM
you probably got it fixed by now... i hope. but rtv silicone gasket maker held a 1'' hole in my old I4 for 1.5yrs till sold. i swear by that stuff now for any type of fix when the proper part cannot be found.