PDA

View Full Version : Transmission or TC Problem?

maxrezn
06-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Here is what's going on with my 2003 90k ES.

Every morning at around 7:00AM, I start it up, let it sit for about 10 seconds, and then put it into drive. It rolls down to the bottom of the hill like it's in Neutral even though I'm pressing the gas. The engine just revs and the car doesn't move anywhere. Next I shut the car off, restart it, and it runs just peachy. This only happens once a day in the morning.

The second thing. At around 35mph, the car jerks at an intensity of about a 4/10. It doesn't bother me extremely but I'd like it gone. It only happens when I'm accelerating.

This weekend here is the agenda for maintenance:

Replace Spark Plugs And Wires with NGKs.
Oil Change and Filter

I don't want to do a transmission fluid change yet because I don't know what kind of fluid and what filter to use.

Can anyone give me some advice or hints on what's going on?

partyman09
06-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Is this an auto or stick?

maxrezn
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Auto

littlerick
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
the 03 doesnt have a filter

maxrezn
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Ok never mind then. But what does the issue seem to be?

Conjee
06-04-2009, 09:57 PM
You can use the Valvoline Transmission Fluid. Here is a link from galantforums that I used to follow through on my Transmission Fluid Change (Look at second page) and There are no exterior Filter. I didn't really notice a difference with the new valvoline ATF but it made me feel better that the color of the transmission fluid is now a nice reddish color instead of brownish black.
Transmission Fluid Change (http://galantforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8345)

starh4x
06-05-2009, 03:04 AM
my car is doing the jerky thing your describing.. the only difference lately is that it has been cold lately. ice on the windows in the morning and stuff. oil level is fine although will need a change soon. but it does this even after it is warmed for 10 mins. and sometimes when i push accelerator it lags for a couple seconds before finally taking off.

what could this be caused by? torque convertor?

WarmAndSCSI
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
You can use the Valvoline Transmission Fluid. Here is a link from galantforums that I used to follow through on my Transmission Fluid Change (Look at second page) and There are no exterior Filter. I didn't really notice a difference with the new valvoline ATF but it made me feel better that the color of the transmission fluid is now a nice reddish color instead of brownish black.
Transmission Fluid Change (http://galantforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8345)

No, don't use fucking Valvoline ATF.

Just don't.

Mitsubishi SP-III is cheap. Use it.

If your transmission is working at all right now, then the no-shift issue just sounds like a malfunctioning shift solenoid. I'd just do the fluid change and go from there. That harsh shift at 35 could be your end clutch pack wearing out. New fluid may help a little, but they eventually wear out. Just drain and fill, don't have it power-flushed. Most other transmission failures on these are catastrophic; so I wouldn't worry too much.