PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Roof

partyman09
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Now i looked at the carbon fiber paint and im not to fond of it. My friend had it done at a very highly respected place and i still disliked it. Now ik they make carbon fiber roofs for cars but of course not for the galant.So whats next? There has to be some way to make my roof look like carbon fiber (nicely) Anyone know something that i dont?

Dominicano
06-04-2009, 05:46 PM
you would have to get someone to overlay the carbon fiber over your current roof, that is the only, cause you can't replace it.

partyman09
06-04-2009, 06:11 PM
would this cost an arm and a leg?

fatal1
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
more then likely...most bodyshops etc wouldnt be able to do it unless they have someone who for some reason knows how from modding etc. you would have to have it custom done. its hard to even tell you where to go but check with some custom shops around you, thats really all you could do

Kyleg
06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Have a look at my car in my garage, its not carbon fibre but satin black. Took a few hours to do, but its vinyl
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/stuff/Photo0273.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/stuff/Photo0272.jpg

E_Emerson88
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
you would have to get someone to overlay the carbon fiber over your current roof, that is the only, cause you can't replace it.

i dont think it would cost much, lets say its like a big carbon fiber sticker you would put on there.

2002BlackDragon
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Might be something u should ask Cali. His was wrapped in CF. I think he did it himself. Prob ur best bet.

Kyleg
06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Vinyl is the best way to do it cheap and effective, however its worth getting it done by a pro as the way the roof curves at the front in several directions which is the hard part.

You could get a mould taken off your roof and get it made in carbon fibre have the metal skin cut out and the c/f stuck in place, I have heard/seen it done on the net somewhere, I know a few companys also sell c/f roofs

Asierra_999
06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Might be something u should ask Cali. His was wrapped in CF. I think he did it himself. Prob ur best bet.

X2 ask Cali!

2002BlackDragon
06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Vinyl is the cheapest route. But it is just a sticker (kinda). If you want real CF, ask Cali. That is the best addvice i can give.

partyman09
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys i really appreciate it!! if anyone else gets any ideas of find anythingelse out feel free to tell me

VegasMatt
06-04-2009, 09:41 PM
If Cali were to do it, he would charge you well over 1000.00 to do it.

partyman09
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Well hey im guessing it would be done right if he did it. but i am from wisconsin and im guessing cali is from cali lol

crzygtz
06-04-2009, 09:57 PM
there is a few shops in chicago that would do it but im not sure how deep into wi you are and if youd be willing to drive to chicago for a roof. check out autowerks or franks autobody

Cali
06-04-2009, 10:02 PM
ideally you would want to wrap your actual roof in the carbon..not something you would want to do at home as you can do some serious damage to the roof if you dont know what you're doing.

if you were to bring your roof to me to wrap it would be aprox. $1,200... depending on the current price of carbon.

the other idea i was playing with was to get a donor roof skin, make a mold out of that, and make a VERY thin piece that you could either maybe rivet in (painting the rivets would make it less obvious) or use thin double sided tape.

the piece would obviously have to be very thin to make it look right...i could maybe hide the riveting points under the weather trim.

im actually working on a full replacement roof for the evo guys as their roofs are removable unlike ours. for something like this to take place though i would need at least 10 confirmed buyers.

greddy
06-04-2009, 10:28 PM
^I would definitely be interested in that Noel, if you could get some pricing on that if we were to have 10 buyers, I'd be more than down!!!!

njjfudge
06-05-2009, 12:13 AM
With Vinyl you will have to worry about fading. I knew a guy that had some CF vinyl put on his hood in a design when he was getting it repainted and clear sprayed over it, and the sun ended up fading it after about 6 months.

Reelax
06-05-2009, 02:23 AM
CALI's CF wrapped roof...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/cali/cali3.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/cali/cali6.jpg

BIGMONEYDAY
06-05-2009, 03:28 AM
the other idea i was playing with was to get a donor roof skin, make a mold out of that, and make a VERY thin piece that you could either maybe rivet in (painting the rivets would make it less obvious) or use thin double sided tape.

the piece would obviously have to be very thin to make it look right...i could maybe hide the riveting points under the weather trim.

Another way to adhere that potential piece to the roof is by using a good epoxy, silicone adhesive, or this stuff by 3M called Panel Bond. My paint & body man swears by the 3M Panel Bond and uses to bond FG to metal and even metal to metal. He says its kinda pricey, $35 a tube, but well worth it. He's currently using it to mount the F-1 vents from some fiberglass fenders to some OEM metal fenders for me.

Asierra_999
06-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Hope you dont mind Cali, but here was a better close up of his roof .....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/asierra_999/Auto%20Shit/carbonegrvisor.jpg

2002BlackDragon
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Y could i not just do it at home? Take a piece and fit it on there, resin it up, do some triming, and then glue? Doesnt seem like it would be too hard for someone that knows what they r doin.

Asierra_999
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Y could i not just do it at home? Take a piece and fit it on there, resin it up, do some triming, and then glue? Doesnt seem like it would be too hard for someone that knows what they r doin.

So do it!

greddy
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
blackdragon, if you do it, more power to ya, honestly, I can't see most people dropping a grand or more on a CF roof, I sent an email to Noel about doing this last summer and I was shocked to be honest, but after he explained all the things that need to be done in order for it to be done right and not fade, the price makes sense, you gotta pay to play. I honestly think the best alternative is to do the roof skin overlay, I'm sure it would be significantly cheaper. If Noel wants to chime in and let us know if there is any way to get a group buy going, that would be great, cuz there are quite a few people with Carbon hoods and trunks, and a roof would finish it off.

whokilledhoughes
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
im in if theres any carbon roof GB that might happen.

Stewi
06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
The problem with doing an overlay is securing it to the roof and sealing it. By putting any type of cover on the roof your asking for trouble with moisture build up and eventually rust over time from the trapped moisture. The next thing to consider is fitment around your sunroof (if you have one) and securing the damn thing down to the roof. The only way you can confidently secure it is by using an epoxy adhesive which means if you ever needed to take it off, you are screwed to the tenth power.

2002BlackDragon
06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, since i dont plan on getting rid of the car, thats the plan (epoxy adhesive). Guess i will have to get the materials and start working on it myself.

spdracr
06-05-2009, 11:11 PM
the other issue with him doing a very thin overlay would be shipping those without getting damaged considering they are gonna be very thin and they will crack during shipment

Cali
06-06-2009, 12:25 AM

exactly...for someone who KNOWS what they're doing...let me tell you a story. a previous memeber on here had his roof wrapped by a very prestigious shop here in san diego around the same time i was doing mine...not even a MONTH after it was done the entire roof developed spider cracks so bad you could literally peel pieces off. you know what their response was? "well, we'll do it again but if it happens again we're not fixing it next time"

you know how much he paid? 2,500...and it wasn't the first roof they had done.
and you know what he finally did? he had them just re-paint the roof. no refund.

the roof takes a lot of heat... you need to use the right materials to make it last.

The problem with doing an overlay is securing it to the roof and sealing it. By putting any type of cover on the roof your asking for trouble with moisture build up and eventually rust over time from the trapped moisture. The next thing to consider is fitment around your sunroof (if you have one) and securing the damn thing down to the roof. The only way you can confidently secure it is by using an epoxy adhesive which means if you ever needed to take it off, you are screwed to the tenth power.

exactly. it's all a trade off; if it was a replacement piece it would be a lot easier but unfortunatelly that's not the case. it's actually more expensive to wrap certain parts than to make a replacement piece.

ie. if i were to make the roof pieces they would probably go for around 800.

gofer03
10-11-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm interested in a Group buy for the replacement cf roof, if we are ever to get one.

zobgel
10-11-2010, 01:49 AM
*Is your car daily driver?
*Do you leave in the state that have snow?

"If YES, GUD LUCK to your Carbon Fiber Roof!!!"

Galantman03
10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL! lol snow? i wouldn't be worried about that... maybe -40F here though, that would make me worried lol

gofer03
10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
It's either that or spend $ on paint.

Cali
10-12-2010, 02:34 AM
the cf roof skin would work and would sell for roughly the price of a cf hood....

E_Emerson88
10-12-2010, 03:27 AM
how long would it last though? and what kind of maintenance would be required?