PDA

View Full Version : Alarm siren location

giopimentel
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I just recently had an aftermarket alarm/remote starter. Everything functions fine, but that's not my problem. I opened up the hood just to check hoses and fluids and then noticed that the siren was attached to the strut bar. I personally have never seen anyone do that. I was pissed at first, but then i looked for other location they could have put it in and I couldn't find an area. The car is a 2005 Galant GTS V6. I can get pics if that will help, but I'm basically trying to see where other people have theirs installed.

01blackG
06-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I just recently had an aftermarket alarm/remote starter. Everything functions fine, but that's not my problem. I opened up the hood just to check hoses and fluids and then noticed that the siren was attached to the strut bar. I personally have never seen anyone do that. I was pissed at first, but then i looked for other location they could have put it in and I couldn't find an area. The car is a 2005 Galant GTS V6. I can get pics if that will help, but I'm basically trying to see where other people have theirs installed.

Normally it is placed on the fire wall or near the fenders. Only once or twice have i seen them installed near/behind the front bumper its self.

But yeah send some pics. If your looking to relocate maybe we can see a location the it can tuck away in under the hood.
Just get it off the strut bar.

VegasMatt
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Mine is mounted behind the left headlight where the airbox used to be.

giopimentel
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I do plan on getting a kn cold air, il still have a box in that section.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/giopimentel/P6081983.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/giopimentel/P6081984.jpg

pinoyesv6
06-08-2009, 07:21 PM
thats a horrible place to put the siren. what happens if you have to remove the bar? have it relocated.

01blackG
06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
It looks like you might have room over bye the horn to the left. Other then that it is kind of hard to tell were else you might have room just by looking at these pics.

giopimentel
06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you think I should have the shop reinstall it to another location. They put it in about a week ago? Should they get me a new bar? Is the integrity of the bar comprimised?

Way Fast Galant
06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
i would deffinatly go back and make them relocate it. thats a horrible place to put it. thats just a lazy installer putting it at the first spot with out actually looking. i do see it is very crowded under there, but im sure there is a better place. as for the bar, it really shouldnt be compromised, but you will always see the 2 holes where it was mounted and it could rust if not treated properly. but i would go back myself and make them move it and buy me a new bar while there at it.

I4betterthanUR4
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
wow... whats the name of the place so I know to never take my car there...

fatal1
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
from the looks opf the 9g bay it is pretty tight, im sure they could have gone to the firewall though...when you get the intake you will have a lot more room to add it in that location...or if it bothers you that much the firewall is good too

fliegendaffe
06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
when i do installs i look for the most open part of the engine bay. whether it be on the firewall, behind the grill, or what not. in your case i would look at by the horn or on the firewall

ricky_db
06-09-2009, 01:21 AM
it looks like you have plenty of room over by the stock horn they just didnt wonna extend the wire over that far.

side note i dont know if there is some kind of stock hood pin or light that they could have tapped into incase someone pops your hood but i would most defiantly raise all holly hell if they didnt instal the trunk and hood pins or tap into existing wires kinda defeats the purpose of having an alarm IMO.

fliegendaffe
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
it looks like you have plenty of room over by the stock horn they just didnt wonna extend the wire over that far.

side note i dont know if there is some kind of stock hood pin or light that they could have tapped into incase someone pops your hood but i would most defiantly raise all holly hell if they didnt instal the trunk and hood pins or tap into existing wires kinda defeats the purpose of having an alarm IMO.

what i would do instead of a hood pin, if there wasn't a factory source, is install a mercury switch instead. little more reliable than a hood pin

giopimentel
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
There is a merc pin on the underside of the hood. At least I think it is. Im bringing it in tomorrow and we'll see what the say to me.

fliegendaffe
06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
yeah that does look like a merc switch under there.....i can tell by the split loom

giopimentel
06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Well I went back today and after some discussion with the owner he moved the siren to where the horn location is. He did say that he installs a lot of sirens on the strut bar. Anyways, long story short he is also paying for the bar itself which is only like $13. I feel like kind of an ass for a $13 part. But its the priciple I guess.

fliegendaffe
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
if he is saying he installs a lot of them there, then i think he is really stupid. because you want it where it isn't easily accessible just by barely popping the hood. guessing this was at a mom and pop shop?

giopimentel
06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
guessing this was at a mom and pop shop?

indeed, but where it is now. its still accessable by popping the hood

fliegendaffe
06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
it could also be over looked as a horn since it is next to it

littlerick
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
so the strut bar was only $13? i figured it would be more than that

fliegendaffe
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
might have found one at a junk yard or something

giopimentel
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
It's an oem strut bar. It comes in three pieces. Left and right strut brackets an dthen the bar. I do intend on an aftermarket strut bar, but I have other upgrades i'd like to do.

giopimentel
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
might have found one at a junk yard or something

$13 through dealership