PDA

View Full Version : Misfires, new parts, then shaking/backfiring

zodabc
06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I have a 99 2.4L, and cliffs are at the bottom.

I used to lurk when I first got the car, and can't remember my username of the email I used for it (irrelevant, just small talk), but after coming back I realized why I stopped coming--this place makes me want to dump all my money to have one of the swankier 'Bishies out there. :)

Anyways, onto my problem:

About two weeks ago I started experiencing some low-RPM misfires for the first time. When I got my next pay check I decided to order some replacement plugs/wires. I installed NGK wires & Denso Irid plugs about 70k miles ago and have a big 4k mile trip this summer so I figured even if that wasn't the problem it was about time to replace them.

So I went down to O'Reilly auto and put in an order for some plugs/wires. Their "premium" stock was BWD, and I didn't have too many options so I went with them (these were about 5cm shorter on both wires for those of you considering them), and some basic Bosch Plat. Plus wires.

I took the parts to a local garage and had them do the install and do a tranny flush. When I checked back in they told me it was still misfiring, and I asked them to run a diagnostic to find out. They put it on the machine, asked it to turn its head and cough, and diagnosed it with a #2 fuel injector infection. Of course I put the parts on order and they said it would be fine to drive (I drove it there with no problems after all).

I hop into my car, turn the ignition and it begins to shake unbelievably and backfire. I sat there for a second to see if it would subside any, and went back into the place to ask them about it. They assured me it would be perfectly fine to drive, and I took it out and headed back home (35 miles away). I barely made it up the ramp to get on to the interstate, and made it 9 miles driving 45mph with my hazards before turning around to take it back. I went back, got a rental, and as I was turning my car off it was smoking (coming through the vents) a little. They had no idea what it was at the time, other than the possibility that it could be the messed up fuel injector (which was messed up prior to the install and did not hamper performance that much).

I figure they didn't gap the plugs properly (if at all) but I figured this would be a good place to see if anyone has had any issues with the PARTS (bwd & bosch) in their 8gs.

CLIFFS:
-Replaced NGK Wires & Denso Irid plugs w/ Bosch Plat. Plus & BWD Wires
-Fuel injector was causing misfires -- Have not had it replaced.
-After the wire/plug install my car was shaking, backfiring, and stalling.
-It was NOT doing this prior to the parts replacement, so I fail to see why the bum injector would all of a sudden cause this problem.
-Wanted to know if anyone had any input/flames on the parts or mechanical issues.

'preesh.

nyjets985
06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
i had an almost identical problem with my 99 4cyl. and it turned out my valve cover gasket dry rotted and cause oil to leak into the spark plug chambers ,there for soaking the spark plugs in oil..i had to get new plugs, a valve cover gasket, (which also came with gaskets to go around each spark plug chamber) and new plug wires they came in the set of 2 not all 4 (since the other 2 plugs were the coil packs) my mechanic put them in and all was well and shes running fine ! my car didnt smoke and come in the vents like you mentioned but other wise everything else was identical !! good luck with the fix :)

zodabc
06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
That sounds horrible.

I luckily only had some minor carbon deposits on my #2 plug from the injector issues. The others had normal wear and tear. They didn't look much worse than the day I put them in.