PDA

View Full Version : quick question v6 swap or get turbo on my 4cyl.

sponcar
06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
well I know that I have to research... and I found many thread about how to get more hp with both kind of engines but yestarday I was talking with my friend (mechanic) and he told me to consider the posibility to swapt the v6 on my 4cyl galant... mmm doesn't sound bad... cuz I wanted to start working on my 4g64 and go with force induction... but now my question is which engine will give me more whp and for less money???
* v6 with some mod like that one in the links
*2.4l with turbo (max 8psi)

PS: I got the v6 swap idea after see this project with a naturally aspirate..
http://tunerzine.com/view_article/car_feature/naturally-aspirated-galant

beam514
06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
that is boostzealot's G, and it would take a lot of work to get there.
He swapped in a 6g74 from a Diamante, but he already had a V6 in there
It would take a good deal of work to swap in the V6.. I'm assuming it can be done seeing as how Vegasmatt swapped in a 4g63 into a V6 trim galant, but it wasn't cheap, and requires swapping subframes and modifying the engine mount points(I think)
IMO do your research on turboing the 4g64.. and I mean a LOT of research

Galantfan88
06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
If your looking to save money than Im not sure if this is something you want to do. Anything can happen and go wrong or lead to something else and cost money and more money out of the pocket. I learned that and right now im building up my 4g64 motor and almost done. I hit a few things here and there and the money just started to jack up but you have to be willing to take on a project and understand its going to cost you . If your looking for more HP and wanting to do the v6 swap, think first that the engine mounts are diff and also the tranny is diff, the ECU and wiring. So thats not to bad but you gatta find the engine and tranny and might need some new parts. If your going for a 4g64 and want to throw a turbo on just remember your not really going to gain much from it.....sooooo spending that money might not be worth it, but everyone has their own opinion about that. Also when doing that with an auto tranny be careful b/c they are not that strong and can come up with problems and thats why people do the 3g swap when it comes down to turbo. Hope I was much of a help, if anything let me know.

qnz
06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
your key words: less money.

my advice: keep it stock.

and your mechanic friend needs to learn about imports. Its not as simple as swapping engine and go. Swapping engine = changing transmission + changing axles + changing front subframe + swapping ecu + changing gauge cluster. You can buy a v6 galant for the cost of swapping all that.

diablos991
06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Swapping engines or installing a turbocharger = expensive
Having a mechanic swap your engine or install a turbocharger= You better be a rich SOB

Also, with those kind of swaps, a lot of knowledge is needed to maintain and keep them running properly. If you are wanting a mechanic to do your swap, I don't think you should even be considering it at this point. The best route would be to learn in detail about the swaps and perform it yourself if you plan on going that route.

As to keeping costs low, keep the Galant stock and save up money for something else you can make fast.

From my experiences, having a heavily modded car as your daily driver is a huge pain in the ass.

SPD_FRK
06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Boost the 4cyl motor. Pick up a Holset HX35 (from the 99-02 Dodge Cummins), build the block for about 20-30psi of boost and put down some serious numbers off a 4 cyl. you could get a smaller turbo, but for the price most of those go for you could easily pick up the Holset option for under $300 used, and they are a much better quality than most that people use

sponcar
06-18-2009, 11:34 PM
ok... thanks guys thats what I wanted to know because I assume that the v6 swap will be alot of work and if I go with turbo means be more carefully with the maintenance of the 4g64t... and If im not wrong I can go with 8psi and still have the stock engine right....??

beam514
06-19-2009, 12:29 AM
maintenimet? maintenance?
ehhhhhhhhh

okay I would seriously suggest doing like a year of research before touching ANYTHING.. that or find another car that will suit your needs

but anyways if you want some homework, here you go.. read the entire thing
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech101.html

sponcar
06-19-2009, 01:08 AM
SMACK" hey beam sorry for my spelling.... =(

tougiefougie
07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Itll probably easier just to turbo your car. The swap is gonna be a big pain