PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning question

HungarianHunter
06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey guys

My air conditioning has not been the same lately, it takes longer to cool down, and doesn't cool down like it should.

I'm assuming (from what I've gathered) that I might need freoen, or the system isn't charged properly (please correct me if I'm off on this), I don't think I have any leaks or bad hoses. Oh and I should probably replace the filter as well, as somebody suggested right? (I'm sure it hasn't ever been).

Well around here an A/C diagnosis (hose check, freon check, etc etc) is about 30 bucks, plus the cost of freon. I've never done any sort of A/C work, so I wanted to ask if you guys could guide me through it, give me a tutorial, or if it's worth just paying 30 bucks plus whatever else I need?

I hear the recharging costs about 100 bucks, and freeon is expensive too.

IDK, give me some advice :D

Thanks everyone

stvn_mj
06-21-2009, 09:05 PM
More than likely you need a recharge. You can buy a gauge at AZ that you can put in your a/c vent and it will tell you whether your a/c is low. As far as recharging the a/c is pretty simple buy a i believe is R134 recharge bottle and follow the instructions on the bottle. Make sure you get the right bottle by checking what it says on the car(should have it somewhere in the engine compartment. Pm me if you need anymore info.

HungarianHunter
06-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply!

So this is what I'm looking for right?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?displayName=FreonChargingKit&itemId=prod63262&navValue=100142&parentId=cat30087&productId=667632&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=667632_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=airconditioningrecharge&categoryNValue=101308&subSubPartId=&subPartId=prod63262&store=2729&skuDisplayName=32oz.ofRefrigerantand4oz.ofSubZeroB oosterA/CRechargeKit&categoryDisplayName=AirConditioningRefrigerantandA ccessories&_requestid=1272820 (or similar)

Also, there is a pungent smell being emitted from the system, whch I read is a result of mold build up that occurs over a long period of time. I figure if I'm going to do a recharge I might as well go through the whole system, get it all knocked out at once.

So for that smell should I just replace the filter, or is there some sort of cleaning kit I should also purchase?

Thanks again

EDIT: found a cleaning kit, would this do the trick?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?subSubPartId=&itemIdentifier=114417_0_0_&brandName=Quest&displayName=A/C+System+Cleaner&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=2729&fromWhere=&fromString=&itemId=prod62182&navValue=100700&skuDisplayName=Clean+and+Flush+Ester&filterByKeyWord=&productId=114417&appQuestionText=&categoryDisplayName=A/C+Charging+and+Refrigerant/Freon&parentId=cat30087&subPartId=prod62182 (or similar)

diablos991
06-22-2009, 02:43 AM
That recharge kit will work so long as you get a gauge with it.

Also, it is important that you wear gloves while doing this. That shit is COLD!

I don't know about that cleaning/flush kit though. I have never tried those before.

HungarianHunter
06-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Alright, and then should I replace the cabin air filter as well? Or will the cleaning kit make it redundant to replace the filter?

diablos991
06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
The cabin air filter should be replaced once a year.

HungarianHunter
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Cool thanks.

So the recharge kit, the cleaning kit, and a new cabin air filter is all of the things I will need for a fll A/C "renewal" correct?

How hard is all of this to do? The cleaner seems like you just spray it in somewhere (I'm sure it will say where), and the air filter is behind the glove box if I remember right, so it's just a matter of getting to it and swapping it. What about the freon recharge?

stvn_mj
06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I never used a that cleaning kit so I am not sure about that. Check your cabin filter because for than likely it will be real dirty. When I recharged my A/c i just bought a R134bottle that had the gauge(It was at the front of AZ) The directions for recharging is on the bottle or box if you buy that whole kit and it's pretty straightforward.