PDA

View Full Version : My car won't start when it's warm

InspireGalant03
06-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi all

I have a 03 galant. it has a weird problem lately...It can not start when it's warm..

I can start the car in the morning..but after drive for 10 -15 mins turn it off i can't start back on..i have to leave the car there for like more than 6hrs or when it's cool enough then I can start it back on.

I changed starter and it wouldn't help..

I'm thinking the main relay, but i need some advices..thnx

polishmafia
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Welcome to TGC.

We need more info from you. I4 or V6? Is the check engine light on? When did this start happening?

InspireGalant03
06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Welcome to TGC.

We need more info from you. I4 or V6? Is the check engine light on? When did this start happening?

I have an I4 and yes the engine check light is on..it was just fine after one coldest day...it was like -15 degree..After that the car begin thsi problem...I replaced new battery and starter...At first it seemed OK...but then when the car gets warm I can't start the car back on...

I took 2 auto repair shops..They checked everything..and they couldn't find a thing..everything looked normal they said..

Shadow19
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmmmm......... I once read oxygen sensors dont respond till they are at like 600 degrees... maybe this could be your problem. once the oxygen sensor warms up it kills the car. Just my ignorant guess though.

seth98esT
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
When you say it wont start back up, what exactly happens? Does the start crank and turn the engine over and just not start? Or does it not try to crank at all? Those would be two opposite diagnoses.

When you went to the auto shop, did they check the CEL with a code reader? Is it overheating? Do a compression test.

polishmafia
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
You need to get that code scanned asap. If you took it to two shops, and neither scanned it for you... never go back to those places again.

InspireGalant03
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
When you say it wont start back up, what exactly happens? Does the start crank and turn the engine over and just not start? Or does it not try to crank at all? Those would be two opposite diagnoses.

When you went to the auto shop, did they check the CEL with a code reader? Is it overheating? Do a compression test.

The car cranks normal, but it cranked like you ran out of GAS...

The auto shop didn't do any code reader..they just check battery volt. any loose cables ect...

and my car won't start so they couldn't do anything further

wright06jhs
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Well your best bet will be to get those codes ASAP to see what is wrong. Members on here will be able to help you more if you get these for them.

es_fact
06-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah bro.. there are some guys here who can help you alot...

Go to a good shop, maybe even a dealer and get them to scan the car, write down every code you get, then come back and post them all on here and you'll get your answer.

polishmafia
06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
The auto shop didn't do any code reader..they just check battery volt. any loose cables ect...

What kind of hillbilly halfassed shop are you going to? Any reputable shop would start off first by scanning the code and running some diagnostics.

jimmy_o2
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
^ So true

01blackG
06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
eletrical problem some where's. As the car warms the part/piece expands causing a bad connection. then once it totally cools your getting a good connection which allows it to start. Also get the code read, autozone rents the readers out. They can still be used even if the car is not running. all you need is the ignition in the run position and a little bit of power still in the battery.

Good luck.

Shadow19
06-25-2009, 05:30 AM
eletrical problem some where's. As the car warms the part/piece expands causing a bad connection. then once it totally cools your getting a good connection which allows it to start. Also get the code read, autozone rents the readers out. They can still be used even if the car is not running. all you need is the ignition in the run position and a little bit of power still in the battery.

Good luck.

Thats a little too in depth. LOL. Remember its a mitsubishi. Something is ALWAYS so fucking simple but just a pain in the ass with these cars. This could be true though.

wiseguy
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
replace the camshaft position sensor

Exhaust power
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
my brothers protege had the same problem car wouldnt start after it warmed up. we changed crank and cam sensors but it didnt help.(but thats a good possibilty)

but after changing the coolent temp sensor it ran good with no problem.

is your car drinking alot of gas? does it hesitate or stumble on wide open throttle(peddle to the medal)?

samurai
05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
The car cranks normal, but it cranked like you ran out of GAS...

and my car won't start so they couldn't do anything further

So have you resolve the problem???

showtime
05-10-2010, 01:39 AM
So have you resolve the problem???

why bump something that was last touched in september 2009?

Chaps
05-10-2010, 01:44 AM
why bump something that was last touched in september 2009?

He's a newbie with 4 posts.. He'll learn. lol

Exhaust power
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
because he has the same problem. at least he searched before starting a new one lol. im pretty sure im right on the problem fix too.