PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on this turbo ?

Gtorque
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
hey guys, i found this PRECISION TURBO 6262-SP TURBOCHARGER
Ball Bearing Turbo with water port housing.

wanted to know if anyone knows if this turbos a good choice of pick or not.

Stewi
06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
its a F*KING MONSTER!!!!

Probably the best all around turbo available right now for the money. There are a few EVO guys down south running E85 and the 6262 making over 700awhp. The turbo has a billet wheel which makes it extremely efficient. This is an easy 500+whp pump gas turbo and I mean a real pump gas turbo, no meth, no other BS, just 93 octane and boost.

qnz
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
6262 is real baller. but will your car have enough supporting mods to make use of its full potential?

Gtorque
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
awesome.. thanks for your help once again stewi... i was going to go with this turbo on my new set-up.

Gtorque
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
6262 is real baller. but will your car have enough supporting mods to make use of its full potential?

my cars running some over 300whp as of right now.but my peice of shit manifold keeps cracking on me.i get tired of having to take off ,re weld ,put back all repeatedly.so for now im going to go with a good manifold,tial 44mm wastegate,and 6262 ball bearing turbo so i can drive my g again.im sure my motor will give off a good amount of potential after the next tune.

qnz
06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
so when are you gonna drive this bad boy down to Miami?

Gtorque
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
after i have that new set up on with the new tune i think ill be good.the manifold that was cracking was the only real problem ive been having.it would be cool to drive down there and meet all u guys and g's.im sometimes in port st. lucie.

ive been wanting to c your g for sometime.it looks good man

Stewi
06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
what are you gonna do for a manifold now?

SPD_FRK
06-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Not to be a "downer" on the turbo choice, but these things are in the range of $800+ usually. I am really curious why the DSM, Honda, and Nissan tuners are dropping these turbos for the Holset units and yet it seems the Galant community seems to be "behind" in this aspect of the turbo builds.

There are numerous DSMs, Honda, and 240s that are making big numbers off the Hx35 and HX40 turbos for far less of the price people are paying for the Garrett and other turbos. The Holsets even have a much beefer shaft in them because of the standard application (The Dodge Cummins engine), but the spool time the DSMs folks are getting seems to be in the 3200-3400 RPM range which isn't bad at all.

I would really suggest checking out some of the Holset options before you spend any money because for $300-$400 you could get a much better turbo, capable of the same, but likely more power. There are other companies in the diesel performance market that offer improved versions of the Holset turbo capable of more boost in the range of $900-$1300, compare to a Garret or other turbo, the internals are more "heavy duty."

qnz
06-23-2009, 09:47 AM
dsms, hondas and 240s buy Holset turbos because theyre dsm, honda, and 240 owners. If they had big bucks, they would be driving Evos, Acuras, and 350zs :wink:

on a serious note, ive never had experience with them or know anyone with them. The tuners and speed shops I know all use Garrett turbos or turbos with Garrett CHRAs.

Stewi
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
There is no way people are spoolin those big holset turbos at that low rpm, you need to stop believing all that you read on the Internet. There are several guys on evom that ditched HX series turbos and went back to Garret/precision turbos.

bmore303
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Having firsthand seen both a hx35 and a hx40 on a 2.0 and 2.4 respectively, they DO spool that low, but other mods must be taken into consideration when discussing that.

SPD_FRK
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
dsms, hondas and 240s buy Holset turbos because theyre dsm, honda, and 240 owners. If they had big bucks, they would be driving Evos, Acuras, and 350zs :wink:

on a serious note, ive never had experience with them or know anyone with them. The tuners and speed shops I know all use Garrett turbos or turbos with Garrett CHRAs.
The only reason the majority of the tuner community runs with a Garrett or other "well known" name is because they made their market in the gas turbo industry for quite some time. Look back a few years when the tuner community was battling out with the V8s, and now look what the diesel market is doing in general against the gasser market...competition brings out new innovations and products for both venues. Garrett makes great turbos, and we use them here on a few customer trucks, but they lack the efficiency and durability of others on the market. Now, that isn't saying the Garrett or similar brand is bad for us in the gasser market...but there are a plethora of options out there that people overlook. When you stick with a well known name, its basically "promised" sales/business.

There is no way people are spoolin those big holset turbos at that low rpm, you need to stop believing all that you read on the Internet. There are several guys on evom that ditched HX series turbos and went back to Garret/precision turbos.
They are, and many people actually still run them because the cost factor, along with the power capabilities. Also, I have helped build 3 2g DSMs, with a Holset, the third one is currently in the works of running one of ATS Diesel Performance's Aurora 4000MST Turbochargers and we should hopefully have numbers and track times by the end of summer. I also have my buddy in Minnesota with his fully built 2.0L Neon R/t (currently running Hahn stage II Kit), that is in the process of swapping over to a Holset as many Neon folks are buying and running the same turbo with better results

Having firsthand seen both a hx35 and a hx40 on a 2.0 and 2.4 respectively, they DO spool that low, but other mods must be taken into consideration when discussing that.
Yes, they do require some modifications to work...but when you consider the cost of the turbo, and the ability of the turbo, the additional cost will be less/equal to that of purchasing just the name brand turbo many go for.

Gtorque
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
what are you gonna do for a manifold now?

i was actually going to get one custom made.ive had my eyes on the peakboost manifold for sometime now.even before u posted your thread on it.sorry stewi...i ordered mine about 2 weeks ago

Stewi
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
You know that if your running a non-evo trans its not going to fit right? The runner from cylinder#4 runs right thru where the starter goes....

the only good quality manifold that appears to fit is the full race ram horn manifold for a 2g DSM.

qnz
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
i'ld get a fwd facing manifold to show off that bad ass turbo

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/awdmotorsports/AWDblackevo.jpg

too bad you'ld have to remove the AC and get a 1/2 radiator. I'ld love to have this peeking out from my grill

Gtorque
06-24-2009, 06:59 AM
^ thats badass... but isnt that dangerous for the turbo on a daily?

my a/c and p/s are already deleted

Gtorque
06-24-2009, 07:09 AM
You know that if your running a non-evo trans its not going to fit right? The runner from cylinder#4 runs right thru where the starter goes....

the only good quality manifold that appears to fit is the full race ram horn manifold for a 2g DSM.

hmm.. did not know that ,i guess i can take the manifold and make a replica of it to make some adjustment in which it can work.then just send the other one back.

glolant02
06-24-2009, 07:19 AM
that evo turbo set up is bad ass

spdracr
06-24-2009, 07:27 AM
so where are those dyno runs showing your 300+ hp ??

qnz
06-24-2009, 07:46 AM
^ thats badass... but isnt that dangerous for the turbo on a daily?

my a/c and p/s are already deleted

I wouldnt trust this on my daily but I know some people just put a a screen filter on the turbo to block out the big debris and on rainy days, put a plate on the grill. too hardcore for me. I think Shearer makes a forward facing manifold that puts the turbo back enough to put a filter on it.

GOOSEY2099
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM

^+1

Gtorque
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I wouldnt trust this on my daily but I know some people just put a a screen filter on the turbo to block out the big debris and on rainy days, put a plate on the grill. too hardcore for me. I think Shearer makes a forward facing manifold that puts the turbo back enough to put a filter on it.

its hot but ive rather not go through all that headache

Gtorque
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM

that dyno sheet had to be from over a year and then some ago.i dont have it anymore.but after i have my new set up and re tune ill post the results up.

Stewi
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
hmm.. did not know that ,i guess i can take the manifold and make a replica of it to make some adjustment in which it can work.then just send the other one back.

Chances are they havent even started to make your manifold yet. If you called them now and cancelled it, you would probably be OK. I think your gonna spend too much time and money re-doing it. your better off getting a used full race manifold for a DSM and just making one, its A LOT easier than you think to make a mock up and then have someone weld it up.

Gtorque
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
^ im sure it is.ive been practicing my welding =)

traffik
06-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Just to jump in here for a bit, We here @ B.Y.Performance Make top mount turbo manifolds for those running the evo swaps. Im sure we can fab something for the stock motors. And yes our manifolds are top quality stainless steel.

Gtorque
06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
^have any pics? or maybe a website

Stewi
06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Just to jump in here for a bit, We here @ B.Y.Performance Make top mount turbo manifolds for those running the evo swaps. Im sure we can fab something for the stock motors. And yes our manifolds are top quality stainless steel.

I was referring to regular just buy it manifold, not having a one off manifold made. Making a manifold is time consuming but fairly simple, even easier if you buy a pre-made collector.

traffik
06-29-2009, 11:25 PM
^have any pics? or maybe a website

My website is under construction but I will try to take some pics and post them