PDA

View Full Version : Clunking around

I4betterthanUR4
07-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Just got my pads and rotors replaced recently, doubt it even has anything to do with my problem. Whenever I throw it in reverse I get a clunking noise coming from the outside around mid engine and it seems like it does that whenever I apply the brakes while going backwards. Please dont say my tranny is going out I only have 96k miles on it.

diablos991
07-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Here is something you can do to test the tranny.

Drive up on a hill and put it in neutral, let it roll backwards and hit the brakes.

If it still clunks, you have a brake/suspension problem.
If not, it is most likely the tranny.

wright06jhs
07-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Bad motor/tranny mounts? Just a suggestion because those will cause "clunking"

jimmy_o2
07-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Here is something you can do to test the tranny.

Drive up on a hill and put it in neutral, let it roll backwards and hit the brakes.

If it still clunks, you have a brake/suspension problem.
If not, it is most likely the tranny.

U must be a real idiot diablos, There Better ways to check the tranny then rolling backwards down a hill and slamming on the brakes.

Our Cars have a common problem of making that noise. Does it mean u have a tranny problem: No

bronxbombr
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
definately sounds like a bad front and rear mount(roll stopper).

qnz
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
no name calling please

diablos991
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
U must be a real idiot diablos, There Better ways to check the tranny then rolling backwards down a hill and slamming on the brakes.

Our Cars have a common problem of making that noise. Does it mean u have a tranny problem: No

How does that make me an idiot???

I recommended a quick way to tell if it was his tranny or not that takes no tools. By no means was I endorsing reckless driving. Just a form to narrow down the problem.

The method I suggested can cause no damage to his vehicle in the process and would be effective at narrowing down the problem.

NOTE: I never used the word slam, I said "hit the brakes"
But i guess according to you, it is harmful and stupid to stop a car while it is moving backwards.... Get over yourself.

qnz
07-01-2009, 10:26 AM
my guess that one of the front calipers isnt tightened down to the hub.

jimmy_o2
07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
so u mean hit the brakes means slowly hit the brakes. Maybe if u would have word it as slowly hit the brakes then i wouldn't have said anything but the fact of u saying go up a hill put in neutral and hit the brakes while he is rolling down a hill. that's just bad advise and there's better safer ways of checking this problem then what u recommended

diablos991
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Any idiot would realize to not mash on the brakes going down a hill backwards.

That's like telling somebody to not turn the car on while working with the accessory belts.

By golly, I sure wouldn't want to endanger hundreds of lives by applying the brakes while going down the hill backwards.

Since when is it bad advice to try and diagnose something?

Jesus Christ you are a fucking prick!

qnz
07-01-2009, 01:14 PM
no name calling. last warning :)

Danger DANJ
07-01-2009, 02:10 PM
It could be related to your brake job if something wasn't tightened all the way, but my guess would definitely be motor mounts.

I4betterthanUR4
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Alright guys, I have some good starting points to check for now. Although I think if it was a motor mount I would know from other problems but I wont rule out tranny mounts. Like I said or I think I said I'm not 100 percent sure its when I apply the brakes, I just never back up long enough to know. I'm not taking sides but I'm going to do that in a parking lot tomorrow diablo I think thats a quick way to rule out some possibilties. Also wanted to ask where is the cheapest place to buy oem parts? I noticed the power steering hose leaks. Its the really long one on the left of our engine bay that connects to the pump and goes all the way back. The dealership wanted $150.

wright06jhs
07-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow this thread went all to hell quick. Good luck on finding out whats wrong and i hope my suggestions helped. :)

diablos991
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Alright guys, I have some good starting points to check for now. Although I think if it was a motor mount I would know from other problems but I wont rule out tranny mounts. Like I said or I think I said I'm not 100 percent sure its when I apply the brakes, I just never back up long enough to know. I'm not taking sides but I'm going to do that in a parking lot tomorrow diablo I think thats a quick way to rule out some possibilties. Also wanted to ask where is the cheapest place to buy oem parts? I noticed the power steering hose leaks. Its the really long one on the left of our engine bay that connects to the pump and goes all the way back. The dealership wanted $150.

I have always seen OEM parts for a bit cheaper here:
http://www.mitsubishiparts.com/
PM me and I might have a way for you to get a discount if they still honor it.
You would have to wait for the shipping though.

The method I mentioned was meant to do just that; narrow down the possibilities. Good luck with the diagnosis!

I4betterthanUR4
07-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the site bro, only half the price. I've never messed around with powering steering but I'm assuming I'll have to bleed out the system replace the hose and then refill. Anything I should look out for? I am going to read up in my haynes.