PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start...

krow
07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Drove home from work today and tried going to the gym but my car wouldn't start. I installed a new battery about 2 weeks ago so I checked the voltage and it was 12.6V. There was not even enough power to open my automatic locks or turn on the cabin light.

I thought I would try and jump it off anyway but it would only turn over about a quarter crank. Anyone have ideas.

Thanks,
Kevin

silver_beast98
07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
thats a fully charged battery.... how do the battery terminals look.... if they are corroded to hell and back clean them with baking soda and water solution....

pinoyesv6
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
how did you test the battery? to me it sounds like a bad battery.

RedGalant2k1
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Check the connections, make sure they are tight. Does it even try to crank or no?

krow
07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
thats a fully charged battery.... how do the battery terminals look.... if they are corroded to hell and back clean them with baking soda and water solution....

Battery is clean...when I swapped it two weeks ago I cleaned everything.

how did you test the battery? to me it sounds like a bad battery.

Digital Multimeter...showed plenty of juice and anyways when I tried to jump it just in case it didn't crank over either.

Check the connections, make sure they are tight. Does it even try to crank or no?

I am not a gearhead (more of a parts changer) but my Dad used to be a mechanic and I gave him a call. He said if my battery is good and the car won't turn over it has to be a connection. It only tries to crank (barely) and if you are trying to jump the car at the time. A loose connection sounds like the issue to me.

Besides spending 10 minutes on the Galant earlier honestly I haven't had time to do much tonight (dinner, yard, and gym). I will take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys and I 'll post what I find.

If anyone else has ideas I am open to suggestions.