PDA

View Full Version : It might just be me....

Prophet
02-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Okay I have a question. For those of you with 18's did you notice that when you got them on the car reacted diffrent. I noticed that when I stopped and depending on the road conditions like bumps or little hills my car tends to follow down hill of the road and turn the steering wheel pretty bad. Now another question I have is that I noticed that the two front tires say face inwards on them. I was told that it is okay that the tire is on backwards because it really matters how the wheel is made because of something to do with how you mounted the tire on to the rim. Does it really matter now that the tire is on. I hope I am explaining this right.

Jason

Messiah
02-17-2003, 05:08 AM
Yeah...you'll get that with low pros, they will follow every crack and hole and pebbles and everything on the road. Next time you get tires, I suggest going with a softer compound, I'm assuming you have Z rated tires on, next time go with H rated, they'll be "more" forgiving...Do they even make H rated tires in 18's :?

As for your 2nd question....WHAAT?!? :laughing:

mochanges
02-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Your tires should be mounted correctly, so if it says "face inwards" on the outside, take them back to whoever mounted them and tell them to put them on the correct way. This is important for non-assymetrical tires, they are designed to be mounted a particular way.

-Mohammad

Prophet
02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>Your tires should be mounted correctly, so if it says "face inwards" on the outside, take them back to whoever mounted them and tell them to put them on the correct way. This is important for non-assymetrical tires, they are designed to be mounted a particular way. Â*

-Mohammad</div>

What does it mean when your tire is non-assymetrical and what could happen if I don't get it changed?

Jason

NRG
02-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I know the feeling you're getting with your low pro tires. When I first got them, I felt the same thing. I felt that my car pulls to the side on its own sometimes due to uneven road or cracks or lines on the street. In a way its good because it has good traction....After awhile, you will learn to like it.......Stay with the ZR rating.......

mochanges
02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
An symmetrical pattern is one where the right side of the tread is the same as the left side. So if you split the tire down the middle, both sides (the inward and outward) look the same.
Here is an examples of a symmetrical pattern:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...ECSTA+Supra+712 ('http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712')

If it's assymentrical, then the two sides are not the same. Your Paradas are not symmetrical, so they are assymetrical. Again, here is an example:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=17 ('http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=17')

Notice the two sides are not the same. It was designed this way to provide the best performance. Many assymetrical designs will use heavy solid blocks on the outside to provide better cornering and will use the insides to evacuate water and give better wet grip. Falken's Azenis Sports are designed the same way. Since the tire is designed this way, the engineers indicate which way you should mount it to make it perform the way it was designed. If you reverse it, you are undermining all the research and engineering that was put into the design.

-Mohammad

P.S. As far as something happening, well I don't think they will wear faster or anything like that, but I would think that the performance will be reduced, and you may lose any type of warranty coverage you may have had.

Tiptronic
02-17-2003, 03:42 PM
so is it safe to say that the symmetrical tires are just like having all-season tires.

mochanges
02-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Not really, tires are still designed with an overall application in mind. Many performance tires have an asymmetrical design to provide superior cornering and dry grip and the water evacuation and wet grip capabilities are there to keep it street legal and at least usable in bad weather. A good all season tire will still provide better grip in the snow and bad weather than most performance tires, regardless of design.

-Mohammad

Prophet
02-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Okay now I see. In the meantime I will just switch the fronts with the backs until I have time for someone to correct this for me.

Jason

TJC
02-27-2003, 01:21 AM
And don't forget directional. So you have symetrical, asymetrical, and directional. And this may or maynot make a difference in the way it SHOULD be mounted on your wheel for a particular side of the car.