PDA

View Full Version : can it be done?????

SoSIck
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
is it possible to convert projecter headlights to hids??? any info would help.. thnx in advance

Galante
07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, you can replace the halogen bulbs in the projector w/ hids bulb and connect it to a ballast. But you have to know the type of the bulb you'll gonna have to use though e.g. H7, H1, 9003 etc.. Check the specs of the projectors.

Chaps
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Your projector headlights are just lenses that your light bulbs shine through. With an HID kit, you're just replacing the light bulb. In your case, an HID kit would be legal, because you do have a projector lens. I have an HID kit installed, but it's illegal because I have an OEM headlight, and law clearly states xenon light bulbs are illegal in non-projector headlights.

SoSIck
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
i have hids istalled already in my oem's. so if i bought the projecter heads would i have to get a new hid kit to match the specs of the projecters.?

Galante
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes, you'll have to if the projectors uses diff kind of bulb type. Otherwise you can use your current hids.

SoSIck
07-16-2009, 10:29 PM
thats a relief..thanx alot much appreciated

Chaps
07-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Since the HID's plug directly into your factory light bulb connection (to use your factory light switch) you wouldn't necessarily have to invest in another kit. For instance, I have an 01 galant, which takes a 9003/H4 low/hi beam bulb. If i were to upgrade to a projector headlight, depending on the set up, you would still be able to use your 9003/H4 kit. Like my friend had an HID kit for his civic, and then upgraded to a projector headlight. the type of projector head light he got was just an OEM headlight with a projector lens added inside it, so he was able to use his same HID kit. but i'm assuming you have a projector head light with separate low and hi beams, which means you would have to look into the bulb connection it takes

SoSIck
07-16-2009, 10:35 PM
actually i dont. iwas planning to do it after i had my hids installed and the guy at the shop told me i couldnt do it... something about heating the lens in the oven.. anyway he never told me i could get oem's wit projecter lenses.. thanx this saves me a big headache..

Danger DANJ
07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
If the projectors take a different bulb size, I'm pretty sure all you would need to do is get new HID bulbs in the proper size and connect them to the ballast you already have.

Reelax
07-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Your projector headlights are just lenses that your light bulbs shine through. With an HID kit, you're just replacing the light bulb. In your case, an HID kit would be legal, because you do have a projector lens. I have an HID kit installed, but it's illegal because I have an OEM headlight, and law clearly states xenon light bulbs are illegal in non-projector headlights.

not all projectors are legal for HID... they have to be specific HID projectors and have to include the levelers. also, there are legal non-projector HID housings... in fact most early OEM HID systems were NOT projectors.

02redgalant
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
not all projectors are legal for HID... they have to be specific HID projectors and have to include the levelers. also, there are legal non-projector HID housings... in fact most early OEM HID systems were NOT projectors.

Yep ..a good example is IS300,early G35,350Zs , they use hid bulbs especially designed for reflector housings (D2R)

Chaps
07-18-2009, 05:44 AM
i guess i'll tell that to the cop when he pulls me over again for illegal lights lol

Reelax
07-18-2009, 07:00 AM
i guess i'll tell that to the cop when he pulls me over again for illegal lights lol

no urs are illegal because if you are running 12000K H4 HID in your stock housings, you don't have HID specific housings, you are running a very colored bulb, you don't have auto levelers and to top it off you are running a kit that is NOT DOT legal (actually ALL non D2S/D2R kits are not legal for highway use); the only legal HID is 3000K and 4250K-6000K in D2S/D2R fitted in an HID specific housing (D2S/D2R do not have a halogen equivilant size) including levelers... technically ALL plug-and-play conversions are illegal.

so really, if you told the cop what we told you completely, he'd still give you a ticket because you would be admitting to breaking the law. if you don't want cops to mess w/ u over ur lights, go w/ 4250K-6000K as they attract MUCH less attention from law enforcement; and they perform much better as well (higher luminousity).

btw, i've been running 3 full kits of 6000K HID (H7 low, H1 hi, H3 projector fog) on my car for almost 8 years... not one ticket or even a mention about it from law enforcement.