PDA

View Full Version : My Galant just stoped working

PearlG
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
ok so im going down the road to my dads house and im almost there and the car jumps rpm's to red line and the engine just shuts off and im costing, a lot of the signal lights in the gauge cluster come on, the power steering stoped working. i get pulled off the road and turn the car off the try to turn it back on and all it did was jump like it was about to start
the engine is turning over just fine and i can see the cam shaft turning so its not the timing belt

is there anything that you guys might know
any help is greatly appreciated

p.s. it has had a full engine and trany swap and it has a 4 cylinder 16 vale Mitsubishi motor. not really sure what liter it is

spardavr4
07-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Happened to me. If it has a CEL find out the code. My camshaft sensor broke and my car shut off while I was driving. $150 to fix at the dealer.

wright06jhs
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh damn, i have no idea but i hope you get it fixed soon.

spardavr4
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
It sounds just like the camshaft sensor malfunction I had. If your timing belt is still ok, don't worry about it.

PearlG
07-17-2009, 09:38 PM
yea the guy i bought it from is a mechanic and he is coming by to look at it. but thanks spardavr4 for the help man i really appreciate it

DryBear
07-18-2009, 10:15 AM
check for cracks at the intake manifold near the throttle body as well

SPD_FRK
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I am not to familiar with the 4cyl models at this time (most of my work on this platform is with the V6). But, to me the doesn't the cam position sensor tie in with the crank sensor for the ignition poriton of the engine system?

What strikes my attention to this as well is that the RPMs on the engine spiked very high, and ultimately killed the engine. I suppose if the cam sensor went out this could explain no starting when cranking over. I would probably check for spark at all 4 cylinders to see if it is cam/crank sensor related.

If you do have spark to all 4 then, as drybear suggested, start checking for intake leaks, cracked manifold and so on. Intake leaks can leak to a spiked RPM range, though not sure how much (especially in your case to the redline). Often the intake leaks can cause stumbling accel, but at the same time a small intake leak can cause the ECU to try and compensate with added fuel, or other adjustements which does lead to an increased idle RPM.

I hope you can get it taken care of, at least you are fortunate enough to have that mechanic to assist you...too many people are left hanging in the wind.

bronxbombr
07-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Check your timing belt, and crank sensor.

PearlG
07-19-2009, 10:18 PM
it was the crank sensor, ill have it fixed within the next few days