PDA

View Full Version : Resonator

Auto-9
08-20-2002, 12:40 AM
I was looking into reinstalling a resonator when I get my headers to help quiet down my car. I like the old smooth tone of a 6 instead of my grumbling (not the sweet growling) of my current setup. Do you think the resonator alone will be able to do this job even with headers on? Will it be detrimental to performance to the point that I can notice it (3-4 hp loss max is tolerable for me). Any other steps I can take in quieting down the exhaust without hurting my performance too much, if any?

pinoyesv6
08-20-2002, 08:47 AM
i don't know how much u love your muffler but maybe the muffler might be your key, uhm you might want to get a quieter muffler or even a resonated tip if your muffler allows.

Auto-9
08-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Hmm...I guess I could consider that, thanks for the tip.

CNascimento
08-20-2002, 03:18 PM
PLease note that my shop looked at the set-up and told me that there wouldn't really be any power gain when taking out the resprator (so I don't think that you are going go loose any power putting it back in) Also if I'm not mistaken there are 2 resornators so why no just put one back and see how it sounds...

LET ME KNOW IT YOU have heard anything different

EsRacer
08-23-2002, 02:49 AM
Since I read on another thread that Cali Spec cars have a little less horsepower than the Fed Spec's, I was thinkin on takin off the resonators to free up the little horsepower they may hold back. You think that'll work?

Fishboy55
08-23-2002, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EsRacer)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since I read on another thread that Cali Spec cars have a little less horsepower than the Fed Spec's, I was thinkin on takin off the resonators to free up the little horsepower they may hold back. You think that'll work?</div>
Nah, the resonators aren't restrictive on the cali spec cars, the precats are. Thats what you need to remove to unleash a few horses.

Chip

Auto-9
08-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Righties I'm gonna go ahead and ask that a resonator be put in...might help smooth out the tone a bit and perhaps quiet down my car in the process. What I find strange is why the newer brochures now list all V6 Galants as having 195 horses rather than 190...did they manage to find a way to kick up the hp while maintaining Cali spec emissions? If so that's kinda unfair to the old owners...

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 02:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Righties I'm gonna go ahead and ask that a resonator be put in...might help smooth out the tone a bit and perhaps quiet down my car in the process. What I find strange is why the newer brochures now list all V6 Galants as having 195 horses rather than 190...did they manage to find a way to kick up the hp while maintaining Cali spec emissions? If so that's kinda unfair to the old owners...</div>

i wouldn't really fret cuz that 195 is at the flywheel so you will have some hp loss getting that power to the wheels

VegasMatt
08-26-2002, 02:32 PM
If you remove the precats, are there any problems with the SES light coming on? What does removing the precat consist of?

Auto-9
08-26-2002, 02:37 PM
I have had no SES problems with my downpipe, and I've had it on for about 4 months now. I believe the light only comes on due to the main cat failing for some reason, i.e. the o2 sensors in front of and behind the cat for some reason reading the same (not cleaning the emissions). Removing the precats is just that I guess...not sure what you're asking. They're really heavy though, one of them alone is heavier than my entire downpipe. I didn't remove them myself, so I'm not quite sure which bolts come off, but it's sandwiched between the factory downpipe and the exhaust manifolds. Seeing as how you have the headers though I don't really think it's much of a problem...

galant2kde
08-27-2002, 11:33 AM
hey Rallifan if u decide to get a new muffler, can i buy your old one?

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Hehe I suppose...I've already sold one of my old ones don't see why if I change again I can't sell you this one 8)

galant2kde
08-27-2002, 04:37 PM
k if u decide IM me KonicNinja (on AIM) let me know k thanks bro..