PDA

View Full Version : Evo 8 Ecu

paparishi90
07-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Ok so I've been looking around on the forums for hours now and i know that many have used the evo 8 ecu vs emange, aem ems, etc. Well i called up boomslang and apparently they make an evo 8 harness for the 8g galant. I did do the 5 speed swap so i don't really want to go through the hassle of doing the dual ecu setup, though that is a pretty good option for auto galants. So if i purchase the boomslang harness is it pretty much just plug and play? Also do i have to get an evo 8 immobilizer so the ecu will actually run? Just for clarification i am going to be turbo very very soon... i know i put it off for a year but i didn't have the time... plus the state of kansas is offering to pay 40% of what it cost to convert my car to e85 which covers any ecu, tuning and fuel related upgrades :) Anyways I would appreciate it if i could get a solid response to these questions. Most of the threads hinted these ideas but were directed to other subjects. Thanks!

qnz
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
if boomslang makes a conversion harness from auto galant to evo8, then yes, it will be plug and play for you.

I used to run the HKS F-Con in my car but swapped over to the Evo ECU because
1) I didnt like having to go to the tuner everytime I added/wanted to add something
2) there are more tuners around that can flash a evo ecu than tune the HKS.
3) If Evos still keep their stock ECUs for up to 500hp, then its good enough for me

paparishi90
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks, that clears some murky waters for me, though I still do have a couple more questions...
Did you have any problems with the immobilizer on the evo 8 ecu and do you completely swap out your 8g galant ecu for the evo 8 ecu or run them together, assuming that you are 5 speed. Also there should not be a difference between the evo 5 speed and the evo 6 speed ecu's correct?

Cali
07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
you'll need to flash the ecu to erase the immobilizer code. it will NOT start if you dont.

no difference in the ecu's.

btw, the boomslang harness is great but you'll want to double check the connections. (i've heard of a few being wired incorrectly.)

WhiteGalant
07-28-2009, 12:54 AM
isnt the 03 m/t eclipse ecu pretty much the same as the evo 8 ecu?

Scout4g64t
07-28-2009, 07:25 AM
This is great for me I'm running my setup w a afc neo and it sucks so bad it serves its duty but I would love to flash but never did cause I'm auto..any idea on the price for this harness and the difficulty level?? Any more info would be appreciated...

qnz
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
You should definately look into wiring up dual ECUs Scout. I am still auto. Car runs almost like stock now and thats with just an hour of street tuning. I'm sure with a real tuner and a few more hours, everything will be dialed in.

Look for posts by Johnathansgalant for how to wire up dual ECUS and look on evom forum on how to tune yourself. John helped me wire up the dual ecu harness and also extended the wires so the evo ecu can be tucked away.

It took about 15 hours for the dual ecu harness to be made. I had bought a 8g extension harness ($200) and then a evo8 extension harness ($100). The evo8 harness was cut in half and the wires extened about 18" and then spliced into the galant harness. the galant ecu is in the stock location and the evo ecu is tucked behind the carpet near the center console.

paparishi90
07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Well the boomslang harness is actually a lot more than their other harnesses, it cost 350 for the galant to evo 8 ecu... Is there any specific year of evo 8's that i should try to get my ecu from?

Scout4g64t
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
qnz good to know your almost running stock thats more of what im looking for.. Im not too technical with the wiring and so on, and about a 110% chance of me messing something up... Hopefully this harness does the trick to cut down on the wiring and so on.. as for the tuning part up here in orlando I have a few options.. jestr tuning is up here and does alot of evo's and Central florida turbo who originally tuned my car.. Im just so aggrevated with the afc man.. alot of delays cant do nothing w timing car chokes every once in a while. I barely drive the G anymore cause of this.. I was actually thinking about going back to all motor until this got me motivated again.. Ive been looking for a 5spd swap but up here they rape cars before they even touch the junkyards. ive read alot of jonathans posts and seems squared away...

paparishi90
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Well I got my tranny swap stuff from Florida and i'm in Kansas :) but what you can do is check out car-part.com and find the tranny and see if the junkyard will send you all the parts for the swap but make sure you get the motor mount for the tranny too... and also the shifter cables etc... but anyways is there any
specific year of evo 8 ecu i need, sorry to sound pressing but i didn't want the question to get lost in my response.

Galantfan88
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I believe 03-05 will do, the 06 evo have a MIVAC engine which makes things a little different. But is there a way around to have MIVAC work with our engines??? I think I found someone that knows how to change up the harness and have the evo 9 ems from AEM work with our motors. But im not sure yet so lets now go nuts...

greddy
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
just get an evo 8 ecu! I just bought one on evo m for 200 bucks

run1206
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
was that from bertune? i got mine from him on evom for 160 shipped :?
oh well... and to the OP, yes. the Boomslang harness for us is 360 shipped. I'll take pics of my evo ECU connected to my harness after i get home from work.

paparishi90
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Sweet thanks guys... and here is a tutorial i found on evom to get rid of the immobilizer code on the evo ecu's. Its for a lancer oz swap but, correct me if i'm wrong, the initial steps should be the same.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-engine-management-tuning-forums/422808-evo-8-ecu-swap-works.html

paparishi90
07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
oh ya and run, did you have any problems with the wiring from boomslang, Cali said a few wires were switched around.

run1206
07-28-2009, 12:17 PM
my setup's no hooked up yet :lol:
i'll do a quick rundown on the matching wires. Both Cali and GOOSEY2099 confirmed a few wirs are usually out of place when shipped.

the comparison list is over at club3G, johnathansgalant and Cloudinc00 wrote up the tutorial.
http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/119882-dual-ecu-new-diagram.html
harness-wise it's good, was able to connect all harness to respective ECUs

qnz
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
I will go out on a limb and say any year evo8 ECU will work. There are different ROM IDs between the years for evo 8s but you can flash different roms than what your original ecu is shipped with. I dont even remember what my original rom ID was. Just pick a rom ID that has Tephra support for his useful mods.

$200 is a bit expensive for the Evo ECU. I picked mine up maybe 3 months ago for $110. My friend was selling her ecu for $50 a month ago.

My galant boomslang harness was all correct. Maybe they had a new guy building Gooseys? hehe.

I think I read something that the Eclipse manual connector is the same as the evo connector. There are a couple of pins that would need to be swapped. If that is true, you can but a eclipse auto -> eclipse manual harness and save a few bucks. I think theyre $250 instead of the $350 for the galant auto -> evo 8 harness. But look on C3G to be sure.

Im just so aggrevated with the afc man.. alot of delays cant do nothing w timing car chokes every once in a while. I barely drive the G anymore cause of this.. I was actually thinking about going back to all motor until this got me motivated again.

this was me 1 month ago.

run1206
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
My galant boomslang harness was all correct. Maybe they had a new guy building Gooseys? hehe. :lol: :lol:

I think I read something that the Eclipse manual connector is the same as the evo connector. There are a couple of pins that would need to be swapped. If that is true, you can but a eclipse auto -> eclipse manual harness and save a few bucks. I think theyre $250 instead of the $350 for the galant auto -> evo 8 harness. But look on C3G to be sure.

damn, wish i knew about that before getting the harness :icon_sad:

Cali
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I will go out on a limb and say any year evo8 ECU will work. There are different ROM IDs between the years for evo 8s but you can flash different roms than what your original ecu is shipped with. I dont even remember what my original rom ID was. Just pick a rom ID that has Tephra support for his useful mods.

$200 is a bit expensive for the Evo ECU. I picked mine up maybe 3 months ago for $110. My friend was selling her ecu for $50 a month ago.

My galant boomslang harness was all correct. Maybe they had a new guy building Gooseys? hehe.

this was me 1 month ago.

that's correct, any evo8 ecu will work. (the 9 will NOT work; plugs are even different)

another option is to just find a 3g manual ecu..works exactly the same once you flash it with an evo ROM and should be cheaper.

greddy
07-29-2009, 01:32 AM
so I'm a tiny bit confused, I'm planning on running dual ecu and staying auto as long as humanly possible, do I need the boomslang harness for the galant and that's it?

Johnathansgalant
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
you need the CONVERSION harness to not wire anything.. It costs 350 or so whatever they say above. ******THERE ARE MANY HARNESSES :: GALANT EXTENSION/ECLIPSE AT EXTENSION WHICH ARE THE SAME, EVO 8 EXTENSION (JUST AN EXTENSION YOU WILL HAVE TO SPLICE THIS WITH THE GALANT EXTENSION TO RUN DUAL ECU.) AND A EVO 8 + GALANT/ECLIPSE CONVERSION HARNESS(THIS IS THE ONE THAT WILL REQUIRE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF WIRING IF ANY AND WILL BE MOSTLY PLUG AND PLAY).

You cannot run Tephras mods on every evo 8 ecu but 90% are compatible. Some evo 8 ecus have an intercooler sprayer. Not all roms can work with all ecus, some ecus can only use a small range of IDS and others are more supported for mods. What this means for you is EVOM is always creating patches allowing the stock evo 8 ecu to be manipulated much more than usual and you may or may not be able to use these patches. In reality its not a big a deal because you will have you the benefits from the ecu either way.

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
oh and btw i was reading there was a program for ecu flash that allowed you to pass all of your engine codes, for all of you who have emission testing. I'm not sure if you can flash that on a galant ecu or not but there is one for the evo ecu.

run1206
07-29-2009, 08:51 AM
oh and btw i was reading there was a program for ecu flash that allowed you to pass all of your engine codes, for all of you who have emission testing. I'm not sure if you can flash that on a galant ecu or not but there is one for the evo ecu.

yeah i was reading your other link as well; they have a way to eliminate the wastegate solenoid and fuel injector solenoid codes as well. i might do that with my ECU, unless i can get an easy buy on those 2 products soon.

greddy
07-29-2009, 10:29 AM
AND A EVO 8 + GALANT/ECLIPSE CONVERSION HARNESS(THIS IS THE ONE THAT WILL REQUIRE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF WIRING IF ANY AND WILL BE MOSTLY PLUG AND PLAY).

so basically if I get said harness it'll be mainly plug and play even if I stay auto?

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Question... If i have a viper security system installed on my car, how is this going to affect my evo ecu. Oh by the way here is how to disable the immobilizer on the evo 8 ecu:
http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Immobilizer_Disabling

Cali
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
so basically if I get said harness it'll be mainly plug and play even if I stay auto?

no you'll still need to splice wires to keep the auto ecu.

qnz
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Question... If i have a viper security system installed on my car, how is this going to affect my evo ecu. Oh by the way here is how to disable the immobilizer on the evo 8 ecu:
http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Immobilizer_Disabling

by inserting the bit to bypass the Evo immobilizer, you can also remove the immobilizer bypass box that was installed with your Viper alarm. This way, the theif wont get a free key when they steal your car.

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Great... Just wondering is there any way to keep the immobilizer?

Johnathansgalant
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
The conversion harness is supposed to be plug and play the last person that used it said he had to switch a wire or two but no soldering or heavy wiring i believe...

u would have to get the evo immobilizer and wire it up to keep an immobilizer.. The stock ecu will still have an immobilizer and it is not known what will happen if u start the car with a key that does not have a chip.. The car will start but transmission may not engage properly and you will still get the icon on ur dash.. I would not remove ur bypass module because it may cause ill effects..

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Ok... now i am a bit confused, those who have a evo 8 ecu hooked up to their cars, that have a 5 speed tranny, do you have an evo 8 immoblizer and how would it be wired up to the ecu?

WhiteGalant
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
another option is to just find a 3g manual ecu..works exactly the same once you flash it with an evo ROM and should be cheaper.

This is perfect, i have a 3g manual in the junkyard right now and ECU's are only like $30

Johnathansgalant
07-29-2009, 07:41 PM
nobody has bothered with the immobilizer i am aware of... The immobilizer goes to the ecu and nothing more.. Its a single wire give or take the wires off the actual immobilzer piece which I dunno what it is... I assume its another small box -- the ecu receives a go or no go from one wire on the ecu and from there either fires or not...

you could also use a 3g manual ecu as he stated but honestly i dont see them being sold for cheaper than an evo ecu so far -- i see em for 180 and up.. But if u can find it u will need to flash the evo rom or whatever from club3g on it to get it to run like an evo...

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok so i get the immobilizer piece but, i'm assuming, that i have to go to the dealer to get my key programed to the evo key or my car will not start, am i correct?

qnz
07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
yes... but the dealer will charge you $200+ to program you new keys.

another question is why are you so set on keeping the immobilizer?

Johnathansgalant
07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
HMMM I dunno i dont think you will have to program your key because u can just enter the immo code on the evo ecu so 50/50

paparishi90
07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
another question is why are you so set on keeping the immobilizer?

Hey if I can keep it there is nothing wrong with that, just wondering that's all but no big deal if I can't.

Anyways to sum everything up:

1. Get an evo ecu, and don't need immobilizer(?)
2. Get harness from boomslang (if you don't wanna cut n' connect wires)
3. Replace stock ecu with evo ecu (only if swapped with a manual tranny otherwise dual ecu it)
4. Flash immobilizer disabling code or put in current galant immobilizer code into evo ecu(?)
5. Copy over certain values from galant ecu, ie: Injector Scaling, Injector Latency Values, MAF Scaling, MAF Size (got from lancer forums)
6. tune the ecu to whatever setup you got going on...
7. Get laid b/c a really attractive girl is aroused by the fact that you are running an evo 8 ecu in a mitsubishi galant instead of an actual evo.

Wanted to make this as clear as possible so it's easy for others to kinda understand the steps of how to swap the evo 8 ecu without having to go through a plethora of information :)

And please correct me if I am wrong because I probably might have some, or all, of the steps wrong

greddy
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I just contacted boomslang about getting a plug and play galant ecu to evo ecu harness made for automatic cars, they said it shouldnt be a problem, I should know by tomorrow how much it'll be

paparishi90
07-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I just contacted boomslang about getting a plug and play galant ecu to evo ecu harness made for automatic cars, they said it shouldnt be a problem, I should know by tomorrow how much it'll be
I called them maybe 2 or 3 days ago and they said they cost around 350-360 shipped but hey you get it cheaper, then I'm down, or maybe we can get a discount from a "group buy" cause that would be even more excellent.

greddy
07-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I'll ask them tomorrow and see if they can give us a deal on 2 or more

4g64turbo
08-03-2009, 07:48 AM
can someone put a link to boomslang, now if i use a boomslang harness that shoud make it a plug and play with a evo ecu right in to my galat right??as long as you have a five speed swap done of couse...

qnz
08-03-2009, 08:49 AM
here you go
http://tinyurl.com/mhzmdh