PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Wheel Noise (increses with speed)

chastiser
08-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi, I have replaced my disks and pads and now car brakes a lot better no judder only a little bit but a lot better.

I keep hearing this hum hum hum hum hum hum noise coming from the wheels its hard for me to tell from which side but I suspect its the fronts and I hear it all the time no matter I press the pedal or not, or in Neutral. As the speed increases the noise also increases. No other vibrations.

If its wheel bearings how can I test and know for shure? Can I jack up the car and diagnose it like that? How can I find out which side?

Do I have to buy the whole wheel hub assembly?

What else could it be? Thank you for your help.

The noise is as follows: hum.... hum... hum. hum hum hum hum humhumhumhumhumhumhumhumhum (about 75mph)

SHould I try to capture it on my Iphone sound recorder?

bronxbombr
08-06-2009, 04:40 AM
you can jack up the car and wiggle the wheels to see if they have too much play in them. I think it could be your wheel bearing. Yes you can replace just the bearing but its cheaper and easier to just go buy the whole hub.

galantofva
08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Is it a hum or a sort of roaring? If its roaring then theres no doubt its you hub bearing. On the 8g as far as I know mitsubishi only makes the whole hub assembly, cant get the bearing seperetly. Check your dust shields and make sure they arent bent out and rubbing the rotors, I just had that problem.

es_fact
08-06-2009, 09:40 AM
The noise is as follows: hum.... hum... hum. hum hum hum hum humhumhumhumhumhumhumhumhum (about 75mph)

Thats hilarious, and your sig looks sick lol...

ANYWAYS lol.. it deff souns like your bearing are going lol

stvn_mj
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Its your wheel bearing. My sisters Camry had that same noise few weeks ago and we just changed her wheel bearing and its all good now.

diablos991
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Yup, the hub assembly needs to be replaced. It is a pretty easy fix to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. It takes a little over an hour. (probably around 2 hours if you have never done one before)

chastiser
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you guys. I think I will just get two of them and see how much mexicans will charge me at Willets Point to install it.

Last time I made them install my new rotors and pads for $25. Where regular shop wanted $70 to do the same job.

I will post the results.

stvn_mj
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
lol WTF? Mexicans.

diablos991
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you guys. I think I will just get two of them and see how much mexicans will charge me at Willets Point to install it.

Last time I made them install my new rotors and pads for $25. Where regular shop wanted $70 to do the same job.

I will post the results.

LOL!!!!!!! That post cracked me up!

DryBear
08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Hubs are about $180+ OEM, and around $100 or less from an auto store each. You cannot just replace the bearings as the hub is a single sealed unit.

Try jacking up the front and spinning the wheels - you might be able to hear which one is bad.

Basic instructions:
Loosen wheel lugs
jack up car
remove wheel
unbolt brake caliper and support to prevent putting stress on the brake line
remove brake rotor
remove axle cotter pin, then axle nut (air tools highly recommended)
remove pinch bolt from lower control arm
pop out knuckle from lower control arm
pop out axle
unbolt hub
tap out hub with mallet from backside to remove

reverse steps to complete install.

Dominicano
08-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I had the same issue on my rear wheel but it was more like sound when you have something stuck on your tires like a big rock. after we took the wheels off and the rotors when we turned it by hand i heard the click which I couldnt because be for rotors. as Drybear pointed out the fronts take more work than the rears, just make sure its the fronts since its a low humming sound it can be coming from either side. I just knew it was my rear because i had a bent rim back there and did not replace it for a while.

RedGalant2k1
08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
you can jack up the car and wiggle the wheels to see if they have too much play in them. I think it could be your wheel bearing. Yes you can replace just the bearing but its cheaper and easier to just go buy the whole hub.

The hub and bearing on the 8G is one sealed piece, so if you replace the bearing, you replace the hub and vice versa.

The bearings are extremely easy to identify. As stated you can do the following:

Jack the car up at each wheel (all four if possible, or at least one at a time)

Hold the wheel a 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Shake it back and forth. If you feel looseness than the bearing is bad.

Next grab the coil spring with one hand, the other spin the wheel. If you feel roughness in the coil spring the bearing is bad.

Then see Drybear's above described steps to remove and install.

XXL4G64
09-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Can i ask something could i use some on a 8G? I have a 7G

4g63lover
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
So I have this squeeking noise coming from my left front wheel and I think it might be the bearing. I checked for play in the wheel when the car was in the air and there was a little but not a lot. I'm planning on changing the wheel bearing my self but I'm a little mixed up on which part it is. On Rockauto.com there is the axle bearing and hub assembly and it looks like this
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/4g63lover/baby%20g/axlebaring.jpg

Then there is a "wheel bearing" but no picture and no description.

Is the picture the part I'm looking for? The axle bearing is about 75+shipping and the wheel bearing is 45+shipping

DryBear
09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
You want the hub assembly for the front, TIMKEN Part #513157 or equivalent.

4g63lover
09-25-2009, 10:01 AM
alright cool. this way I can also replace the lug studs with longer ones while the hub is not on the car..

ezekiel.glnt
10-02-2009, 02:21 AM

I will post the results.

WHAT THE FUCK!whats that supposed 2 mean!?