PDA

View Full Version : electrical issue

showtime
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a few problems I dont know if they are all related or not

1. Pioneer deck shuts on and off randomly ( I recently noticed it shuts off when i turn my lights on and off, roll down my windows, or lock/unlock my doors
2. My gauge lights shutter and sometimes turn off, then turn back on extremely bright, then dim back down so I can barely see them (I have LED's instead of halogen bulbs)
3. My headlights used to dim when I rolled down/up my windows but that recently stopped when i installed a DDM hid kit.

Any ideas of what is going on??!?!?!?!

Reelax
08-08-2009, 12:55 AM
dieing battery? short somewhere? alternator crapping out?

showtime
08-08-2009, 12:58 AM
battery is a month old, how can i test for a short somewhere? and I believe the alternator is good.

03-Galant-ES
08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Since your battery is a month old start the car and disconnect the positive terminal. If the car turns off alternator is culprit. Seeing as you had to replace your battery the alternator may be the problem.

Unless I am wrong which I may be any car should be able to run on alternator alone. My truck did my bimmer does the galant I dont know if she does never needed to find out.

showtime
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
alright ill give it a shot, so start the car then disconnect the positive...or disconnect then start?

fliegendaffe
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
you have to use the battery to start the car. otherwise, yeah, the car has no power

showtime
08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
yeah i figured that right after i posted my retard comment.

youngin3
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
alright ill give it a shot, so start the car then disconnect the positive...or disconnect then start?

:facepalm:

The galant does run without a battery being hooked up. I know that for a fact.

It does sound to me like you are having a big enough voltage drop to make the radio go into some kind of 'protect' mode.

showtime
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
yeah I will have to test it tomorrow and see, thanks guys.