PDA

View Full Version : got a question???

sleepagalant
02-18-2003, 07:32 PM
i want to swap the engine of my 95
sohc -> dohc
which would fit and be the easiest to install
if this question has already been asked could tell me where to look at
or is there any other engines out there that would be better to swap with??? Thanks!

Kain
02-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Any Eclipse head will work, just a minor modification needed to make it work (The 4g64 yahoo group has a tutorial on how to do it) The '94 GS head will go on directly but those are too rare. I'd suggest a 2g head as opposed to a 1g though. They can be had cheaper (just look for a crankwalk victim) and in my opinion are a better match to the '64 block.

BEAST
02-19-2003, 12:58 PM
If you are wanting to swap engines and not just heads then your best bet is go with the 4g63. You can get those from talons, eclipses, and lasers. If you are doing an engine swap you will probably want to go turbo to make it worth your time as in just getting a non turbo 4g63 you would be losing power. There is lots of info on this around on the board. Do a search for it. If you upgrade engines you are most likely gonna have to upgrade your tranny as well. Do some searches and you will find every thing you need if not just ask.

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 01:17 PM
1g head > 2g head
1g intake mani > 2g intake mani
2g exhaust mani > 2g exhaust mani

:biggrin:

engine swap, 4g63t like BEAST said...pretty easy and can be done in a weekend

o0 XeRO G 0o
02-19-2003, 02:00 PM
now, if i went and swapped out the 4g64 for the 4g63t, i know i would need a new tranny. but, wouldnt the galant be changed to AWD? i always thought this would slow you down in the 1/4 mile or whatever. maybe i'm wrong, but thats wut i've been getting from the different jdm engine companies i've emailed.

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 02:05 PM
technically you could cause the 7g vr4 is AWD but you would hafta import all the AWD parts...not really worth it cause all the money you are spending on AWD you could put it into the engine and be faster...

o0 XeRO G 0o
02-19-2003, 02:56 PM
so it doesnt HAVE to be AWD? cuz that was the only thing deterring me from swapping the engines. I wanted to keep it fwd, but all the jdm people i talked to said i'd have to change everything and make it awd. now i think i might consider it AFTER the kit, rims, drop, etc

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 03:27 PM
well not all 4g63t cars were AWD, they had FWD tranny versions also. Craig has a '91 TSI 4g63t and i belive a 2g FWD 5spd tranny...

so the 4g63t swap does not require an AWD tranny, the galant 5spd tranny may bolt up to it also, but id get a 2g 5spd if your galant is 5spd...

man i just spend like 4hours writing a program because i thought it was due today, but its not due till next wednessday :lauging: o well at least i have it almost done yippiee! haha yah!

JiP
02-19-2003, 03:37 PM
If you want an easier swap just swap the head, i have a 1g head bigger ports then the 2g, its not complicated to do and very few modifcations needed non of which are major work so its all DIY.

If your gonna go full engine swap then 4g63t with a fwd tranny. driveline has nothing to do really with the engine, thats transmission department. Want fwd, get fwd trany setup. Im not sure but the the galant tranny *may* bolt up to the 4g63. There was some discussion about tranny models and their fitment on 4g64group a long time ago but yahoo search engine is designed by retarded monkys.

Actually if your gona do an engine swap get a jdm engine. This was discussed a few days ago apparently in Japan they pull engines every 40k miles and put new ones in for emission purposes, sounds ass backwards but thats what hey do so picking up an engine with only 40k on it is a great thing.

Also gona need a new computer i think a lot of people forget about that and cpu swap in itself is a bitch and could be pricy if you buy brand new.

Personaly I think 4g64 with a dohc head is much better, more displacement, then turbo it .. even more power, no crankwalk.

JiP
02-19-2003, 03:41 PM
technically you could cause the 7g vr4 is AWD but you would hafta import all the AWD parts...not really worth it cause all the money you are spending on AWD you could put it into the engine and be faster...

Wouldnt youhave to do some major work on the frame/chassis to get the awd parts in place?

Also I thought awd was better for drag strip since you got more grip? or maybe it was autox

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 03:43 PM
yah you would aslo hafta do a lot of custom work for AWD...if you have the money and REALLY want AWD go for it, but id just go with a 2g 5spd..

and you will get better traction with AWD both on the strip and in AutoX...

you gotta make a pic tutorial of the head swap...i am planning mine for June with stock tranny for now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

JiP
02-19-2003, 03:50 PM
The only major setback is the damn distributer cap. Otherwise I woulda probably swapped already. Either change ecu's and wire it in, or hopefully we get this DIS converter were workin on to work but..havnt actually done anything yet, can't lift my arms from shuvling 3tons of snow lol