PDA

View Full Version : Shocks or Struts?

graphitegalant
02-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Do our 7g galants have struts or shocks or both? I did a search on it but really found no clear positive answer that way. Peace.

graphitegalant
02-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Also I was wondering if we need to purchase the strut/shock mounts and boots.

2True
02-19-2003, 01:37 AM
If it's a Galant... you want struts.

When replacing it is always a good idea to replace the mounts.

In the future, topics such as this need to go in the Suspension Forum found above the 8g forums on the main index...

JiP
02-19-2003, 02:21 AM
Exactly what is the difference between a strut and a shock? I have read soooo many sites that claim they are the same exact thing, but I tend not to believe that otherwise why would there be 2 differnt words lol

NRG
02-19-2003, 03:02 AM
Hmmmm I am not a 100% but I am going to have a go at your question...
Strut is the actual "rod" that you see on a suspension. Shocks is the unit where the strut (rod) goes into which is also filled with gas or whatever.. So these two things work together..When together with the springs, it is called suspension......

Thats my view of it.......Feel free to correct me........

Kain
02-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Struts are an integral part of the suspension, they serve an active part in holding the car on the wheels.

Shock absorbers are not, they could actually be removed and the car would remain resonably drivable (would ride like a Jeep)

Most modern cars utilize a strut design because it is more compact, (the strut resides inside the spring) and gives better ride and handling characteristics overall. Many stucks/SUVs still use shock absorbers because they are easier to replace and lend to easier "jacking up" of a vehicle. Most cars, vans, and micro SUVs use struts.

Make sense?

MidNightRacing
02-19-2003, 02:48 PM
I dont know shit about suspension all i know is that I need new struts. Anyone know how much they run for? Do they have anything to do with lowering a car?

seth98esT
02-19-2003, 03:31 PM
if your going to lower your car in the future and you need new struts now go ahead and get the KYB AGX struts for about $80 per strut ($80 * (4) = $320) because you will need these when you lower your car or you will blow your stock struts out if you lower w/o them...

JiP
02-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Sturts/ Shocks I think I get it now..

Kyb Agx are like 80 each ye, you can get Kyb GR-2 for $50 each but their not adjustable.

What about strut inserts? I was reading DSM Faqs strut insert install into stock struts. You get a pipe cutter and chop off the top of the strut casing, drain out the oil, then install (in this case Koni cartridge) the new strut cartridge into the case and a screw from the bottom of the case u drained gets screwed into the bottom of the insert to pull it down into the case, and thats that.

Might be a cheaper way to be able to lower your car and not have your struts die on you a month later. Performance wise I have no idea.

95vegasgalant
02-21-2003, 09:34 PM
:twisted: The correct term is struts in the front and spring seats on the back but the rears look like a strut but fuck its the same shit If I were you buy the cheap lifetime struts cause kyb is not lifetime I dont think :twisted:

-Jav-
02-23-2003, 07:43 PM
ummm...so are the kyb's shocks or struts? or are they both? :roll: i have a 7g galant and im looking into getting some skunk 2 coilovers so i have to replace whichever i need - the shocks and/or struts

Kain
02-23-2003, 08:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JaVsTeR95)</div><div class='quotemain'>ummm...so are the kyb's shocks or struts? or are they both? Â*:roll: Â*i have a 7g galant and im looking into getting some skunk 2 coilovers so i have to replace whichever i need - the shocks and/or struts</div>

Galants use struts all around. KYB makes both shocks and struts. If you order parts for a {insert year here} Galant, you will get the proper parts...don't sweat it.

MidNightRacing
02-26-2003, 08:29 PM
I heard the lowering your car gives you negative camber or some thing like that. Is this true? Im not sure cause I hate suspension set ups and I heard this from a ricer.

Kain
02-26-2003, 11:18 PM
I heard the lowering your car gives you negative camber or some thing like that. Is this true? Im not sure cause I hate suspension set ups and I heard this from a ricer.

Lowering a car can give you negative camber. It depends on how much you lower the car, and how you go about lowering it. Since Galant's aren't really designed to be lowered much, you likely won't lower it enough to make the negative camber an issue. (actually, a small amount of negative camber can be a good thing)

JiP
02-26-2003, 11:51 PM
You know what I wanna know, Jesse and I have the same short ass coil over springs on our galant. At the highest setting they dropped his ride 3" he said, for me at the highest setting it dropped me only 1/2" Howd that happen?

2True
02-27-2003, 01:46 AM
You know what I wanna know, Jesse and I have the same short ass coil over springs on our galant. At the highest setting they dropped his ride 3" he said, for me at the highest setting it dropped me only 1/2" Howd that happen?

I dunno either bro, I think it has a lot to do with Jesse having a kit and 18" rims. I have seen some of those cheap drop zone coilovers and they resemble my Skunk2's almost to the tee. My Skunks's at full height are almost stock.

JiP
02-27-2003, 02:08 AM
Whatever these are the springs blow. There like 4" high, their stiff but there way to short, rather have a longer spring thats spriny, atleast when I hit a bump the spring will still be in contact with top and bottom seats.

2True
02-27-2003, 02:36 AM
4" HIGH!! are you shittin' me? That sucks man. My Skunks are about 10" in length and 4" in diameter. And I thought mine were small... jeez. The rear coils are about an inch shorter than the front and are coiled a little further apat than the front ones, that's how they are supposed to be. AGX's make things a lot better too :wink:

ablythe
04-13-2003, 01:41 AM
what is the model number for the KYB AGX struts for the 7g. I looked on the KYB website and I'm a little confused.

I found "shocks, strut cushion/mount SM5091." I think that may be the strut mount. I found SB108, strut book kit. I find no number for struts to fit this car.

www.kyb.com

Thanks for the help.

AB (tunemaker7)
Dallas, TX
96 Galant S Maroon

2True
04-13-2003, 05:08 AM
www.tirerack.com