PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof question.

DJRINC18
02-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Okay, I finally took delivery of my beautiful Galant last night. I was checking out the owners manual and noticed that all the pictures of the sunroof showed that a)it has two buttons for the controls, and b)it has map lights. Now the reason I raised these points is because my car has neither. I don't have maplights and I only have a single button to control the sunroof. I'm almost positive the sunroof is stock but I'm wondering if maybe there's different setups for the controls. The sunshade isn't even the one that it pictures, mine is two seperate (side by side) tinted visors that hook up at the front of the sunroof. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me that's the way it's supposed to be. Sorry about the novel... thanks for the help.

BLsGalant97
02-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Okay, I finally took delivery of my beautiful Galant last night. I was checking out the owners manual and noticed that all the pictures of the sunroof showed that a)it has two buttons for the controls, and b)it has map lights. Now the reason I raised these points is because my car has neither. I don't have maplights and I only have a single button to control the sunroof. I'm almost positive the sunroof is stock but I'm wondering if maybe there's different setups for the controls. The sunshade isn't even the one that it pictures, mine is two seperate (side by side) tinted visors that hook up at the front of the sunroof. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me that's the way it's supposed to be. Sorry about the novel... thanks for the help.

Yeah mine is the same, I have a 97. My friend has a 98 and hes has 2 buttons. 1 to go straight back and the other button to make the roof go up then back. Mine just goes up then back.

DJRINC18
02-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Do you have any other interior lights in your car besides the dome light? Do you have lights in front of the sunroof?

BLsGalant97
02-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Do you have any other interior lights in your car besides the dome light? Do you have lights in front of the sunroof?

Nope just the dome

JiP
02-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Yep my 97 is like that too, 1 button no lights. I think the sunroof totaly blows on our car. Its like they just cut a hole and dropped the thing in no thought put into it. Hate sunroofs that shoot out of the roof like ours do instead of sliding underneath the roof hidden in the interior.

side question...Wtf is the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof?

o0 XeRO G 0o
02-19-2003, 03:49 PM
a moonroof to my understanding is manually operated, you push it back and forth

a sunroof is powered

BLsGalant97
02-19-2003, 03:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yep my 97 is like that too, 1 button no lights. Â*I think the sunroof totaly blows on our car. Â*Its like they just cut a hole and dropped the thing in no thought put into it. Â*Hate sunroofs that shoot out of the roof like ours do instead of sliding underneath the roof hidden in the interior.

side question...Wtf is the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof?</div>

Yeah i dont like mine too...but like a said my friends 98 is different and is alot better

o0 XeRO G 0o
02-19-2003, 03:53 PM
wow i sure am glad i didnt get a 97.. 98's rock!

JiP
02-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Do i feel a sunroof swap coming on?!? :laughing:

o0 XeRO G 0o
02-19-2003, 03:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do i feel a sunroof swap coming on?!? :laughing:</div>

i wanna swap the stock one for a ragtop one like in the new hummer h2's. that would be hot!

BEAST
02-19-2003, 04:15 PM
I thought that a moonroof was with the glass top and a sunroof didn't have the glass. I don't think it matters if it is electric or not.

I have a 94 and have two buttons with map lights.

IllestGalant
02-19-2003, 09:29 PM
If you don't have the two button sunroof with maplights, it is an aftermarket sunroof and was installed after the car was off of the production line. Check around the top inside for a company name, if you slide the glass back and look from the top, you will probably find the name of the company who installed it or who made it.

DJRINC18
02-19-2003, 09:35 PM
It's kinda odd that you say it's an aftermarket roof being that quite a few people have replied saying that they have the same sunroof as I do. It is possible that Mitsubishi had more than one configuration for the roof isn't it? My roof looks factory to me and i do know a substantial amount about automobiles. I appreciate everyones reply, you have queled the fear I had of my roof not being from Mitsu...

evil-G-nius
02-19-2003, 09:36 PM
yeah, mitsu put the same sunroofs in a shit load of cars. Mine has it too! I have a 96. It is ok, I like the fact that the glass comes off. Dont sweat it guys, at least you have one! Some people dont have anything at all!!!

JiP
02-19-2003, 10:56 PM
My car came from the factory like that so I duno about it being an aftermarket sunroof. But to any 97 guys who have it, it sure does look like it wasnt really an original plan. Like mr mitsubishi came out after they were all done and went hmmm.. Cut hole put sunroof in.

moneybags20
02-20-2003, 10:15 AM
What kind of galant do u have DJ S, ES, LS? if it's not an LS chances are it's probably aftermarket, I think some ES's Have them if u included it in the the package. S's don't have them and their standard on an LS. I got a 95 LS and have two buttons one for it one to tilt up and the other to slide it all the way back. Another way to tell if it's stock is to see if u have a center visor between your left and right sun visor's the manual say's u should have one if your car is equipped with a sunroof. I hope that helps https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif .

cantbeatmy97
02-22-2003, 04:09 PM
i have a 97ES and i have both the map lights and 2 button moonroof switch sux to be every1 who doesnt have that

Golden Child
02-25-2003, 09:15 AM
I have a 96S and mine has only one button and no sunshade. I thought it was stock until I went to the dealer to have it checked when the motor went out. The guy looked at it and said it was aftermarket and they couldn't fix it. Everywhere I went they told me they couldn't fix it because the didn't install it. :cry:

BEAST
02-25-2003, 05:33 PM
That is one major problem with getting aftermarket sunroofs. Expecially when you bought it from someone that had it installed. Best thing you can do is maybe look at all the records. If they gave you any.