PDA

View Full Version : Oil overfill after oil change, need some advice to fix

galantebeige
08-29-2009, 12:38 AM
2000 Galant ES (I4)

Did my oil change, and added a bit too much oil, (tried to be careful) it seems there was more than I thought inside, still.

The oil reaches the red mark in this picture, (rough estimate):

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8038/oildipstickmarked.jpg

I know that some extra oil is no big deal. It is a matter of scale, right? I would worry if the scale is big.

How much oil is it from the minimum mark to the maximum mark?

If it was like 1 fluid oz it would be nothing.
If it was 2 quarts I would be about a quart over...

If I had to remove some oil, is there a (quick) way / trick to do this from the top maybe?

I could remove the drain plug down there, but it is a big hassle to get that drain bolt tight and right.

Thanks all !!

LatinoX20
08-29-2009, 01:21 AM
from the minimum to max is about half a quart and there is no easy way to remove oil... u gotta use the drain plug

Galant306m
08-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Lol it will burn away dont worry about it. Your not to far over.

ShiZnitH
08-29-2009, 05:24 AM
from the minimum to max is about half a quart and there is no easy way to remove oil... u gotta use the drain plug
No, thats just gonna be messy.
Use a little pump that u put on the tube where the oilchecker thing is and pump it out :) But as said above its not that much over and it will probarly burn out.

jimmy_o2
08-29-2009, 06:39 AM
yeah u should be fine

littlerick
08-29-2009, 07:28 AM
mine used to do that everytime i put 4.5 qts so i started putting 4 qts and its exactly on the full mark.

Shadow19
08-29-2009, 08:25 AM
thats why you dump and check. LOL Thats not that far over. when you turn the car over it will fill up the oil filter and will probably go down some more.

qnz
08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
don't be lazy. It takes like 5 minutes to get under your car to drain the oil from your car.

On the 2g dipstick, the distance from the min to max is 1 quart. If its the same on the 8g, then my guess is that you overfilled by 1/2 a quart.

JoeRad
08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
you could foul your plugs, happened to me wheni did it

Gtsnapper
08-29-2009, 05:56 PM
If you're unsure how much oil you've put in there, I'd reccomend draining it out and refilling it. It will only take 10 mins max.

Good luck.

qnz
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
you dont need to drain it all out, just open the plug for a few secs and tighten it again.

galantebeige
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies!!

I did not mean to sound lazy. It's just that as you all know, that bolt gets older and older every time we unscrew it and lock it tight again, also the oil pan. I think there is always some very minor chance of stripping the bolt or the pan, among other things.

Anyways, I think the idea about going in the oil tube were the dipstick goes into from ThaShiZnitH was great!

And it shows that I am not that lazy , LOL, it took a while to remove the oil from there, but now it is just under the max line, and I feel a lot better about that. For completeness sake I must say I took out just about 325mL (or about 1/3 of a quart) of oil back out. QNZ, you were not that far off! :-)

I think that it did matter in this case, it is some moderate amount, and yeah, if there was no other option you bet I would have dumped the oil back out.

I think I would have burned some oil, but not 325mLs (and fast enough)....so I did the safe thing I guess. It's about the volume of a can of beer, or coke, or pepsi.

Thanks for the support, as always!

qnz
08-31-2009, 09:13 PM
thanks for the update. this will help in future searches :)

ShiZnitH
08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
The good thing about my way is that u dont have to lift ur car up and its not greasy :P
I use a oilpump thingy to suck it out :) Can suck 5dl in 1 drag :D